Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Las Vegas Bowl hits ratings low. Down 12% in viewership from last year

2 hours ago, utaggies said:

And that was dozens more than the Wyoming fans that traveled to its bowl game.

WYO fans generally travel well during bowl season.  Especially if there's a Costco near the stadium.

29 minutes ago, utenation said:

I think with the Holiday Bowl’s future up in the air with it only being secured through 2019 in Qualcomm, there is a chance that the Vegas Bowl will move up the chain with up coming Bowl negotiations. However, I do think this will require new Bowl ties with P12 vs another P5. It’s only logical with the new venue and a good chance to be more high profile.

I'm pretty confident San Diego will always have a bowl game, maybe not the Holiday Bowl per se, but some bowl will exist either at Pet Co or the new SDSU stadium in some form.

46 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Hey, at least when WE get a bowl game, WE show up. Would have been at least a few thousand Cowboys fans if we were playing.

Perhaps you did’t catch the part of the OP which was about viewership not attendance. I don’t know how many tickets were purchased by USU fans.  Do you?  But whatever that number was I am confident it would have been larger had we not lost nearly our entire football staff to Texas Tech the week before our bowl game was announced.

Regardless, USU and Wyoming have played in two New Mexico bowls each.  The average attendance in the games Wyoming played in is 25,330.  In the two games USU played in the average attendance is 27,056.  Game. Set. Point.

As to the TV ratings, perhaps they would have been better had the game not started 30 minutes late due to the Kansas b-ball running over, or had the game not been over well before halftime or had the game not had a 2:00 ET start on a Saturday before Christmas.  I don’t know.  There are lots of factors that go into all of these things.  What I do know is that we got a nice trophy for the biggest blowout in the history of the NM Bowl.

1 hour ago, utaggies said:

Perhaps you did’t catch the part of the OP which was about viewership not attendance. I don’t know how many tickets were purchased by USU fans.  Do you?  But whatever that number was I am confident it would have been larger had we not lost nearly our entire football staff to Texas Tech the week before our bowl game was announced.

Regardless, USU and Wyoming have played in two New Mexico bowls each.  The average attendance in the games Wyoming played in is 25,330.  In the two games USU played in the average attendance is 27,056.  Game. Set. Point.

As to the TV ratings, perhaps they would have been better had the game not started 30 minutes late due to the Kansas b-ball running over, or had the game not been over well before halftime or had the game not had a 2:00 ET start on a Saturday before Christmas.  I don’t know.  There are lots of factors that go into all of these things.  What I do know is that we got a nice trophy for the biggest blowout in the history of the NM Bowl.

Funny T-Shirt - Wyoming: Who Cares - The Green Head

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I know we are talking about ratings, but there seemed to be more people at the actual game this year than the last few times. When I went to the Vegas Bowl in 2013 against USC the place was still fairly empty compared to what the TV cameras showed on Saturday. The Fresno State side looked damn near full until you get to the endzone areas. 

This bowl should have been telecast during a week day.  Additionally not so early in the bowl season and having to compete against other lesser bowls being televised.  A conference champion that's ranked deserves much better.  Did the 'Vegas bowl committee fight for a different time slot or did they even give a damn?  Watch them change it when the new stadium is completed and we're no longer involved with this bowl. 

Meanwhile dump Hair and hire someone who's media savvy and will fight on our behalf.

21 minutes ago, aztech said:

This bowl should have been telecast during a week day.  Additionally not so early in the bowl season and having to compete against other lesser bowls being televised.  A conference champion that's ranked deserves much better.  Did the 'Vegas bowl committee fight for a different time slot or did they even give a damn?  Watch them change it when the new stadium is completed and we're no longer involved with this bowl. 

Meanwhile dump Hair and hire someone who's media savvy and will fight on our behalf.

Ummm....do you understand why there is a Las Vegas bowl? 

Yes, I'm sure the "powers that be" gave a damn and were okay with the change.

10 hours ago, Bulldog Rob said:

The Las Vegas Bowl is owned by ESPN/ABC, so I' sure they were okay with the time slot.  

Then to put it mildly, it's a phucked bowl for a phucked conference.

21 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I still think this is one of the better pre-New Years day bowl games.  I also like the PAC-12 vs. MWC matchup (although Fresno deserved a better opponent).  Hopefully this game will move to the dome in 2020, be played at night and move up a notch or two on the PAC-12 bowl selection tier.  I'm not a fan of the time slot and date for this game.

I think it likely moves to new stadium and moves up the Pac's pecking order. Unfortunately for MWC, I see it moving to a Pac vs B12 matchup.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

The Las Vegas Bowl will rebrand in 2020 with the new stadium opening I bet.  Btw, viewership was down because you didn't have name schools in the game.  Sorry, but Fresno St. does not bring excitement to the average viewer, and ASU is mid to low PAC 12 school in terms of excitement it brings to the average viewers.  Way it goes.  

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, fanhood said:

The Holiday Bowl will be played in SDSU's new stadium come 2022. Since it will seat 35k, it will likely move down in the pecking order. My guess is this will replace the Las Vegas Bowl.

My guess is that the PAC12 and BIG12 will retain their Holiday Bowl tie, but that the Holiday Bowl will move down in the pecking order of the PAC12 bowl ties.

I hate to say it, but the bowl that the P5 most likely will dump, and which will go to the MWC, will be the Sun Bowl.  I don't think any of the P5 want to keep going to El Paso, Texas, when they can have upgraded bowl ties in Las Vegas and San Diego.  Traveling to El Paso is also more difficult than traveling to San Diego and Las Vegas.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

My guess is that the PAC12 and BIG12 will retain their Holiday Bowl tie, but that the Holiday Bowl will move down in the pecking order of the PAC12 bowl ties.

I hate to say it, but the bowl that the P5 most likely will dump, and which will go to the MWC, will be the Sun Bowl.  I don't think any of the P5 want to keep going to El Paso, Texas, when they can have upgraded bowl ties in Las Vegas and San Diego.  Traveling to El Paso is also more difficult than traveling to San Diego and Las Vegas.

You could be right, but I do not think so. The size of the new stadium in SD, will preclude the P5 teams from wanting the bowl.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, fanhood said:

You could be right, but I do not think so. The size of the new stadium in SD, will preclude the P5 teams from wanting the bowl.

Why are they making this new Stadium in San Diego so small?  Seems short sighted.

SDSU usually has some of the better attendance in the MWC, and usually draws 40,000 fans to a game.   San Diego is also a decent sized metro area and the stadium would presumably host other events.   Seems like the stadium should be at least 40,000 seats, and possibly even 45,000 seats.   That's not even that big of a venue---Utah's stadium seats 45,000.

This was the largest announced attendance for the Las Vegas Bowl in 3 years.

Since the MWC membership changes starting in 2011 with Boise joining the conference and Utah/BYU departing, Fresno State has been in the 2nd and 3rd largest attended Las Vegas Bowls.

Las Vegas Bowl Attendance Since 2011 Ranked

1. 2015 - BYU vs Utah - 42,213
  2. 2013 - Fresno State vs USC - 42,178
  3. 2018 - Fresno State vs Arizona State - 37,146
  4. 2017 - Boise State vs Oregon - 36,432
  5. 2011 - Boise State vs Arizona State - 35,720
  6. 2012 - Boise State vs Washington - 33,217
  7. 2014 - Colorado State vs Utah - 33,067
  8. 2016 - San Diego State vs Houston - 29,286

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Why are they making this new Stadium in San Diego so small?  Seems short sighted.

SDSU usually has some of the better attendance in the MWC, and usually draws 40,000 fans to a game.   San Diego is also a decent sized metro area and the stadium would presumably host other events.   Seems like the stadium should be at least 40,000 seats, and possibly even 45,000 seats.   That's not even that big of a venue---Utah's stadium seats 45,000.

35k, with an additional 5k SRO. It also will be able to be expanded to 50k if necessary. It is a good plan. 

The SEC, barring any last minute issues, is going to be taking the LV Bowl slot opposite the Pac 12.  It will be the SEC's 1st bowl game outside their home territory.

The Big 10 was expected to drop out of the Redbox Bowl at Levi's in the next cycle in order to take a spot in a proposed bowl at Wrigley Field against the ACC, but the plans for that game fell apart in June because the Cubs were shooting for a higher rated B10 team than the conference wanted to provide.

Keep in mind, the NCAA has put new limits starting 2020 on the number of bowl contract a conference can have.  The ACC, CUSA, MWC, P12 and SEC can all have an additional contract, while the MAC lost 1.   There's a new bowl slated for Myrtle Beach that will include CUSA, and LV looks to be the SEC's addition.  With the Wrigley game currently on life support, the ACC's plans are unclear.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.