Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Fresno, Boise, San Diego St Fans: let's talk 2019 QBs

These three good programs are all replacing QBs. Who do you think will start next year? Losing McMaryion and Rypien leave big holes and both Fresno and Boise. Losing Chapman doesn't seem to be as great a loss according to the SDSU fans here. 

Thoughts? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Overall, Agnew is a better QB than Chapman. He can scramble and has a stronger/more accurate arm. He was fitting the Chapman system, so he had some growing pains. However, don’t expect much improvement in our passing game unless our OL improves. Fingers crossed we bring in a grad transfer QB to compete for the starting spot.

Tedford is putting the pads back on and will win the starting job himself in 2019.  That will boost his salary, after bonuses, to 5 million/yr.  Book it.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

The obvious response is that if Reyna was better he would have started over mcmaryion.  But if no backup ever outperformed the player they backed up when given the chance no team would ever get better...

I think Reyna has a clearly different skillset from Marcus.  His arm is about the same, though i think he has better touch downfield.  He's definitely a better athlete, so look for more designed runs, and if they're comfortable with it, rollout plays.  He's also shorter (about 5-11), but that doesn't necessarily translate to an increase in batted balls (it's all about release point and throwing lanes), although it's something to watch. 

I can't tell you much more about his in-game play because we have yet to see him outside of garbage time with an actual full playbook for an extended period of time.  But he's been in the system for 2 years so there's no playbook worries.   I don't expect much dropoff in actual QB play quality but he'll have an entirely new WR corps (outside of Derrion Grim) so we might lean on the run game more until the young WRs mesh a bit.

Solid commit out of the greater Seattle area, 6'4 QB Joe Green, a pro-style QB and prolific passer (5,100 yds & 44 TDs over the last two seasons).

Link

Still holding out/hoping Tuttle comes home to roost. Short of that happening though, I think Agnew starts, which IMO isn't a bad thing. Give that kid more 1st string practice and some additional reps under center and I think he'll/we'll be alright.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

47 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

What do the Boise shit bags think? @kingpotato 

What in the hell are you thinking bringing football talk to this board?

Not totally sure who will be the QB next year, but I'll break that down in a second. What I do know is that the starting QB couldn't be walking into a better situation. They have all five OL returning and 9 out of 10 in the 10 deep coming back. They bring in the #1 rated JC TE in the country who was largely a blocking TE in college. They will have a very strong running game even if Mattision leaves (and I fully expect him to leave). VanBuren is a 4**** guy who actually averaged more yards per carry and is bigger than Alexander. They also bring in another  4**** RB in Holani and they currently have the longest streak of consecutive 1,000 RBs in the country, standing at 11 right now. They are only two seasons away from the all time longest streak, so producing All Conference/NFL RBs at this point is fairly standard, and with the OL it would be shocking if Boise didn't produce a 1st Team AC RB. They'll also have one of the deepest and talented WR corps in the league. Hightower, Evans, CT, Shakir, and Butler. That's a ton of speed and athleticism coming back. Now they just need to do what they didn't do last year... and that's stay healthy. Defensively, this should be Harsin's strongest unit at Boise. So, while QB play is always important, the QB at Boise this year likely won't have to win games for them. If they can just get decent play out of the position, the team will be very, very good. And since they have gotten decent play out of the position for the last 25 years, I'd imagine they should be fine. If they get exceptional play out of the position, this could be a special year.

Now, the actual QB position. I fully expect Chase Cord to win the job. It would be very, very surprising if SR Jaylon Henderson, rsFR Riley Smith, or trFR Kaiden Bennett were to win it. The only one who has a legit chance is consensus top-10 and 4**** trFR QB Hank Bachmeier. He said he's willing to come in early if the coaches want and with Cord missing Spring Ball he could get a lot of reps. But let's talk about Cord. He is the all time TD leader in Arizona HS history, was a top-25 QB recruit, and despite coming in as a "pro-style" QB, he is really, really fast. He averaged over 13 yards per carry last year before getting injured. So the offense will likely look different. I expect to see more read-options, RPOs, QB draws, and just QB scrambles on broken plays. I expect they'll throw the ball 8-10 times less per game. With the running game and the defense this is an ideal situation. Cord will have a good year, what we don't know is, how will he do under pressure? How will he do when teams study him and take away what he likes to do? The unfortunate thing is that he has no time to figure it out. His first start will be at Florida State. Harsin's teams have produced the 1st or 2nd team All Conference QB every year he's been here, and while it's not a given, I wouldn't bet against that streak ending this year. Although, there is certainly some very stiff competition with Love, McDonald, and Armani Rogers coming back. 

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

Patty O’Brien a 6’4” 230-lbs Pro-Style QB didn’t fit in w/Scott Frosts new Spread System at Nebraska.

4* out-of-HS w/2-yrs to play

BBE1FB63-E42E-44DC-BF4E-32D0592AF63D.jpeg

Didn't we already go over these high profile QB transfer shenanigans with CSU last year?

*this is the part where you tell us all how this one is different*

It’s going to be fun watching the QB competition in the spring and fall. Whomever is the guy, I expect a fall off from Rypien. It took him four years to be a complete QB making the right reads and throws. The only freshman  I’ve ever seen come in and make very few bad decisions and throws ended up with only three losses in four years by a total of seven points. If I had to pick the starter I would go with Chase Cord. 

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The Boise State QB battle will come down to Cord and Bachmeier. It’s a safe bet that Cord will get the nod. 

Until Cord gets yanked. 

Sorry, it was just dangling there...

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

5 hours ago, badfish said:

Overall, Agnew is a better QB than Chapman. He can scramble and has a stronger/more accurate arm. He was fitting the Chapman system, so he had some growing pains. However, don’t expect much improvement in our passing game unless our OL improves. Fingers crossed we bring in a grad transfer QB to compete for the starting spot.

Agnew is undoubtedly better than Chapman. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg