Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Bad News for UNR

14 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Are they going to say they don’t like it here? Look, $3-5 million per is a lot of ched. Muss is going to be highly coveted. It’s how it goes these days. Just enjoy the ride. 

It's a good rule of thumb to believe nothing a coach says but watch what he does. The way he's embraced the community and the community has embraced him back is the most compelling reason for him to stick around and establish a legacy. Another million a year can be tempting but long term job satisfaction is hard to quantify. The biggest issue with Muss is that he's lived a life of a vagabond coach. He's had dozens of jobs in his career. His daughter is young enough that uprooting to another city now isn't that damaging from a family perspective. If she was in 8th grade and preparing for high school it might be harder to justify relocating. Like you said, enjoy the ride. That's all we can do at the non-Power Five level

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

10 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

I think my favorite part of this is “They did nothing at their last stops” you know who else did nothing at their last stop? The Martins. 

Transfers work because you get a year of development with them. Kind of the reason some UNLV fans are excited about their roster as they think some of their guys can develop. No one on UNLVs roster is currently a “home run”. Also Most “home runs” aren’t leaving their current school. 

Lol I do remember a lot of comments here about how the twins were bench players who did nothing at NC State, and thus could not replace losing Marshall, Oliver, and Fenner.

8k3esKz.png

7 hours ago, battle.borne said:

It's a good rule of thumb to believe nothing a coach says but watch what he does. The way he's embraced the community and the community has embraced him back is the most compelling reason for him to stick around and establish a legacy. Another million a year can be tempting but long term job satisfaction is hard to quantify. The biggest issue with Muss is that he's lived a life of a vagabond coach. He's had dozens of jobs in his career. His daughter is young enough that uprooting to another city now isn't that damaging from a family perspective. If she was in 8th grade and preparing for high school it might be harder to justify relocating. Like you said, enjoy the ride. That's all we can do at the non-Power Five level

I think if Few can build a power at Spokane one can be built at most MWC programs. So while I think the P5 thing is important it means less than it does in football. I do think there is a cool synergy between the Muss family and Reno. But I am skeptical that a coach who has moved every handful of years since he was born will put down stakes. 

On 12/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, ph90702 said:

This is what happens when you build with a bunch of transfers.  I still contend that the Martin Twins and Caroline are the only home runs he has hit in transfer recruiting.

You sure building with transfers is a bad thing?  It's gone just fine for us.

2017-2018: Joe Pasternack brings in grad transfers Leland King (Nevada) and Marcus Jackson (Rice).  With those two in the starting lineup all season, UCSB wins 23 games and has the nation's biggest single season turnaround (+17). Also brings in a third transfer, DeVearl Ramsey (Nevada) who redshirts.

2018-2019: With Ramsey, Jaquori McLaughlin (Oregon State) and graduate Ar'mond Davis (Alabama), three of UCSB's five starters are transfers.  And they're all scoring in double figures at the moment.  Looks like five hits, five home runs to me.  There are a couple others TBD but to this point, what Pasternack has accomplished in Santa Barbara looks kinda Nevada-lite. 

All that's missing is an NCAA appearance and then hopefully, landing a 5* recruit of our own.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:04 PM, NevadaFan said:

Are they going to say they don’t like it here? Look, $3-5 million per is a lot of ched. Muss is going to be highly coveted. It’s how it goes these days. Just enjoy the ride. 

Relax, I didn’t say he’d never leave. I said that they love it in Reno, and they do. And the people that are close with them confirm that, and that he’d like to stay. That can obviously change, but it’s pretty clear that he now knows he can actually win big at NV, and that’ll make it more of a challenge for someone to steal him away. I really don’t think there are very many schools he would consider leaving for at this point.

As far as UCLA, they wouldn’t pay more than $3 mil a year for him, and with the high cost of living, it would have to be a prestige thing over money. I would not be surprised if Knuth convinced Johnson to pitch in more for Muss and offer him at $1.8 to $2.0 million (base + bonuses) as a counter offer for him to stay. But who knows, maybe Muss will go coach at UNLV and only win 6 games a season.

kat.jpg

18 hours ago, qwelish said:

Still quoting, eh?

TRIGGERED

Keep trying to convince yourself.

:pitchforks: :hahaha: :rotflmfao:

Yeah right. If I’m being triggered, what does that make you.?  It’s funny how people that get triggered so easily are quick to point the finger at others. 

I know it’s been another bad year for UNLV athletics, but there’s no need to be a scorned little puppy about it. 

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Relax, I didn’t say he’d never leave. I said that they love it in Reno, and they do. And the people that are close with them confirm that, and that he’d like to stay. That can obviously change, but it’s pretty clear that he now knows he can actually win big at NV, and that’ll make it more of a challenge for someone to steal him away. I really don’t think there are very many schools he would consider leaving for at this point.

As far as UCLA, they wouldn’t pay more than $3 mil a year for him, and with the high cost of living, it would have to be a prestige thing over money. I would not be surprised if Knuth convinced Johnson to pitch in more for Muss and offer him at $1.8 to $2.0 million (base + bonuses) as a counter offer for him to stay. But who knows, maybe Muss will go coach at UNLV and only win 6 games a season.

Doesn't really mean much though.  By all accounts, Kruger LOVED Vegas, built his dream house here, had no plans to leave.  Then it happened.  He was also a career nomad coach so I was always skeptical that he'd stay, no matter how much he said him and his family loved it here.  Money is usually very convincing.

I'm happy for you guys that you hit such a home run with Muss, enjoy it while it lasts!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

10 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

You sure building with transfers is a bad thing?  It's gone just fine for us.

2017-2018: Joe Pasternack brings in grad transfers Leland King (Nevada) and Marcus Jackson (Rice).  With those two in the starting lineup all season, UCSB wins 23 games and has the nation's biggest single season turnaround (+17). Also brings in a third transfer, DeVearl Ramsey (Nevada) who redshirts.

2018-2019: With Ramsey, Jaquori McLaughlin (Oregon State) and graduate Ar'mond Davis (Alabama), three of UCSB's five starters are transfers.  And they're all scoring in double figures at the moment.  Looks like five hits, five home runs to me.  There are a couple others TBD but to this point, what Pasternack has accomplished in Santa Barbara looks kinda Nevada-lite. 

All that's missing is an NCAA appearance and then hopefully, landing a 5* recruit of our own.

It also worked great for UNLV under Tark. The fact that a so-called Rebel fan would bag on another program for using transfers is beyond ludicrous.

39 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Doesn't really mean much though.  By all accounts, Kruger LOVED Vegas, built his dream house here, had no plans to leave.  Then it happened.  He was also a career nomad coach so I was always skeptical that he'd stay, no matter how much he said him and his family loved it here.  Money is usually very convincing.

I'm happy for you guys that you hit such a home run with Muss, enjoy it while it lasts!

This is a good post. Sometimes it’s money. Sometimes it’s the opportunity to coach a prestige program. Most of the time it’s a combination. Nevada fans have been there before with Trent and Fox.

I don’t know when Muss will coach his last game at Nevada, but as long as he is succeeding at a high level the possibility of it being soon will never go away. Just the way it is. Enjoy the ride until it ends, I say. Nothing more we can do.

3 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

It's a rare occasion when a UNLV fan publicly admits he's happy for Nevada fans. What's wrong with you??? :D

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

13 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

People also said Coach Pete at Boise would bail at the first sign of success and he stayed a looong time. People said Ault would bail, people have said Mark Few would bail, Randy Bennett would bail, even recently that the Loyola Chicago coach would bail. There are lots of examples of where coaches have passed on the bigger money for being happy where they are. Or stayed a long time before they bailed.

I fully realize Muss could be gone soon and probably more likely than not. But what I’m saying is that sometimes they do stay longer, and there certainly isn’t any sign that he’s less than stoked to be here. So it is possible and certainly not a sure thing from my view of things.

kat.jpg

On 12/17/2018 at 4:31 AM, qwelish said:

Still quoting, eh?

TRIGGERED

Keep trying to convince yourself.aafterafterafteaftf:pitchforks: :hahaha: :rotflmfao:

I'm sure you take great comfort in knowing that your coaches will never be sought after.

The only question at vegas is how long before they are fired?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

He is not leaving folks. Off the Nevada sports network interview with Muss. About Cam Oliver's and Jordan Caroline's sons.

Musselman said he remembered getting his first hoop as a kid, “but more importantly for Little JC and King Oliver making sure those two guys in time understand they always have a Wolf Pack offer.”

So it looks like Muss plans on coaching at least another 18 years for the Pack.