Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Bad News for UNR

10 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Reno doing so well should force our admin to do something 

You’d think. But PH would rather see us drop in level than UNLV rise to the occasion.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

26 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Why would they keep Sanchez and fire Menzies?

Ph they have different expectations.  Sanchez needs to win 4 games.  He has done that.  MM needs to finish top 3 in the MW.  He has not come close yet.  

1 minute ago, slappy said:

Ph they have different expectations.  Sanchez needs to win 4 games.  He has done that.  MM needs to finish top 3 in the MW.  He has not come close yet.  

Menzies isn’t getting fired.  Who would come here for $750,000 per year with only getting three years to win?

Ya know, I get this is a conference board but what kind of in-state rivalry would we have if we wanted the other school to succeed.  I want Reno to lose every game they play. I don't give a crap if it hurts our little fish conference. 

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Ya know, I get this is a conference board but what kind of in-state rivalry would we have if we wanted the other school to succeed.  I want Reno to lose every game they play. I don't give a crap if it hurts our little fish conference. 

Fair enough. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It’s frightening. Turns the legs to jelly.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

PH is obsessed with us losing Muss and believes he will be gone to UCLA, which if given the opportunity he would likely take the job.  He wants us to lose him so UNLV can constantly compete with us instead of forcing Menzies to rise to the occasion and make UNLV better.  He wants us to get worse so the conference will get worse as well. 

I would hope UCLA would have had enough of rolling the dice with MWC coaches. But I’m not even convinced that Muss would take that job if we keep improving the program such as more chartered flights, and if we pay him more every contract. UCLA doesn’t exactly pay their coaches a lot for the money they bring in. Alford makes $2.6 mil, and there’s one hell of a cost of living in Westwood. So $1.6 in Reno isn’t too bad adjusted for cost of living. If Johnson would pitch in some, $2 mil would probably be enough to take money off of the table as being a problem.

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I would hope UCLA would have had enough of rolling the dice with MWC coaches. But I’m not even convinced that Muss would take that job if we keep improving the program such as more chartered flights, and if we pay him more every contract. UCLA doesn’t exactly pay their coaches a lot for the money they bring in. Alford makes $2.6 mil, and there’s one hell of a cost of living in Westwood. So $1.6 in Reno isn’t too bad adjusted for cost of living. If Johnson would pitch in some, $2 mil would probably be enough to take money off of the table as being a problem.

I wonder where the wife would rather live? Los Angeles, the city of angels, or reno, the worlds largest trailer park.

Muss could also be poached by the nba, where jobs are already opening up.

9 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Pasternack would be the logical choice so long as his background clears.  His name has been mentioned in FBI stuff.

UCLA would require Musselman to change his philosophy.  You can’t build a team with transfers.  The academic requirements would not allow for it.

You really think that UCLA, or any highly selective public university with big time sports, doesn't have a massive gap between what it takes for a normal student to get in and what it takes for an athlete in a revenue sport to get in?  I'd guess that the average UCLA football/basketball SAT score is at least 300 points lower than the average for the school as a whole.  How that relates specifically to transfers, I don't know.  But I assume as long as the kid had a 2.0 at his last stop, Musselman would have no problems getting him through the admissions department.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

25 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

You really think that UCLA, or any highly selective public university with big time sports, doesn't have a massive gap between what it takes for a normal student to get in and what it takes for an athlete in a revenue sport to get in?  I'd guess that the average UCLA football/basketball SAT score is at least 300 points lower than the average for the school as a whole.  How that relates specifically to transfers, I don't know.  But I assume as long as the kid had a 2.0 at his last stop, Musselman would have no problems getting him through the admissions department.

Absolutely WRONG.  They will not let you into UCLA with a 2.0.  Kobe Paras anfew years did not get admitted there, but he had ZERO problems getting into Creighton.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Absolutely WRONG.  They will not let you into UCLA with a 2.0.  Kobe Paras anfew years did not get admitted there, but he had ZERO problems getting into Creighton.

That's one example, not a rigid policy.  I'd guess that Paras' coursework was such that he had no path to graduation and probably hadn't demonstrated at his last stop that he'd be able to stay eligible.  If a basketball player with a 2.0 in some decent coursework (not necessarily hard but just enough to show that he could stay eligible in some sports management or kinesiology major) applies, he's getting into UCLA.  Now, I don't know how many of Musselman's transfers fit or don't fit that profile, but I doubt the transfer philosophy alone is going to keep him from getting the job.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

I wonder where the wife would rather live? Los Angeles, the city of angels, or reno, the worlds largest trailer park.

Muss May leave, but he’s not going back to the NBA.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

You trolls never give up. His wife is pretty much the reason he's still here. 

4 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

That's one example, not a rigid policy.  I'd guess that Paras' coursework was such that he had no path to graduation and probably hadn't demonstrated at his last stop that he'd be able to stay eligible.  If a basketball player with a 2.0 in some decent coursework (not necessarily hard but just enough to show that he could stay eligible in some sports management or kinesiology major) applies, he's getting into UCLA.  Now, I don't know how many of Musselman's transfers fit or don't fit that profile, but I doubt the transfer philosophy alone is going to keep him from getting the job.

Not an end-all-be-all measure, but our men's basketball multi-year APR is 980 and they achieved 1000s in the last two reports.  I haven't seen much evidence of dim bulbs amongst our transfers.

14 hours ago, bigd said:

I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried about the UCLA opening, he seems like a great fit on paper, and I'm sure Drew would love to be a grad transfer and his SR PG. 

Just need to enjoy this season, as it is a once in a lifetime scenario. We have a solid core coming back and could probably attract a solid coach if Muss leaves (though at the same time, Muss would be a tough act to follow). But seasons like this are rare even for the bluebloods.

The first two coaches I'd contact are Pasternack at UCSB and David Padgett from Louisville. Padgett could bring Trent Johnson with him as well.

Unlike other schools across the country, our geography works in our favor.  I don't expect him to leave for a MWC job (no offense).  He's got his sights on higher.

Or perhaps he wants to build a national power in Santa Barbara?  Pasternack has shown that high quality recruits are willing to ignore conference affiliation and sign there.  Plus, our last two coaches stayed 15 and 19 years, respectively.  Hard to leave paradise for Reno, Fresno, or some other not quite exotic locale.  Especially if the conference calling is just a 1-2 bid league itself.

7 hours ago, qwelish said:

Well we already know where Beard and family choose to live. Apparently living in the dumbest city west of the Mississippi didn’t appeal to him.