Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Famous Alumni from your High School

I was gonna say Laci Peterson, but I forgot that she didn't go to my high school... just a bunch of her family did. There's a guy named Mike Mitchell who is a moderately successful artists who went to my HS. 

So yea, pretty much nobody. My high school was and remains small and undistinguished.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I believe that a professional NASCAR driver went to my high school. And I'm also certain someone from my school at some point was in the professional rodeo circuit. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Rigby High School:

Filo T. Farnsworth (tv) 

Vardis Fisher (author—novel Mountain Man made into movie Jeremiah Johnson)

Larry Wilson (NFL/Hall of Fame)

My grandmother went to school with Farnsworth and my dad played HS football on the same team with Wilson.  Kinda cool.

Guys, I didn’t grow up in Vegas. I grew up in the small So. Cal. town of Ridgecrest which is in the high desert a couple hours north of LA. It was founded to support the Naval Weapons Center next door which is still a big military base for testing weapons. Huge testing range. 

There’s been lots of pro athletes that you’ve never heard of, but the biggest name to come from Burroughs High School would probably be Mark Hoppus of Blink 182. He moved to San Diego right after graduating.

Nick Brophy was a founding member of the Riverdogs with guitarist Vivian Campbell (Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Dio, Def Leppard), but he’s mostly known the most as a studio engineer and producer. He was originally working with bands like the Rolling Stones, but moved to Nashville and now works with artists like Taylor Swift and most of the A listers in country. 

Linda Perry was the singer and founding member of the 4 Non-Blonde’s in the 90’s but is also now famous as a song writer and producer. She’s written and produced the recent big hits for Pink and Christine Aguilera. She left before graduating but still was there.  

kat.jpg

13 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Amazing no one from ABQ has listed Jesse Pinkman 

Image result for jesse pinkman

Or took Walter Whites Chemistry class

Had drinks with Aaron Paul and the guy who played badger at a bar. Also met and took a shot with the crippled son at a random party, but never met Bryan Cranston unfortunately.

Reno High School

Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island and the inspiration (Pat McCarran) for the corrupt mob tool US Senator in The Godfather II are pretty much all we got.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Guys, I didn’t grow up in Vegas. I grew up in the small So. Cal. town of Ridgecrest which is in the high desert a couple hours north of LA. It was founded to support the Naval Weapons Center next door which is still a big military base for testing weapons. Huge testing range. 

There’s been lots of pro athletes that you’ve never heard of, but the biggest name to come from Burroughs High School would probably be Mark Hoppus of Blink 182. He moved to San Diego right after graduating.

Nick Brophy was a founding member of the Riverdogs with guitarist Vivian Campbell (Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Dio, Def Leppard), but he’s mostly known the most as a studio engineer and producer. He was originally working with bands like the Rolling Stones, but moved to Nashville and now works with artists like Taylor Swift and most of the A listers in country. 

Linda Perry was the singer and founding member of the 4 Non-Blonde’s in the 90’s but is also now famous as a song writer and producer. She’s written and produced the recent big hits for Pink and Christine Aguilera. She left before graduating but still was there.  

Plus former Wyoming QB Karsten Sween.

I went to Granite Hills my first 2 years of High School, so we competed in the same league as Burroughs

16 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Amazing no one from ABQ has listed Jesse Pinkman 

Aaron Paul was born in Emmett, Idaho and graduated from Centennial High School in Boise. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Aaron Paul was born in Emmett, Idaho and graduated from Centennial High School in Boise. 

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Aaron Paul is actually from Boyzee.

Yes - Arron Paul is from Boise...........Jesse Pinkman is from ABQ 

12 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Plus former Wyoming QB Karsten Sween.

I went to Granite Hills my first 2 years of High School, so we competed in the same league as Burroughs

That is correct. I saw him play a few times in HS and he was good. His favorite WR got a scholly with Minnesota. Nevada had even offered him. The all time rusher for Utah St. also came from Burroughs HS in the early 90’s. There was a kid named Rockwell that was a LB on the roster at Nevada a few years ago. 

kat.jpg

Here's another high profile guy who went to my High School.

Bryan D. O'Connor - A Naval Academy graduate and USMC Colonel and Astronaut. He completed two Space Shuttle missions in 1985 and 1991. He also served as an attack pilot flying the A-4 Skyhawk and the AV-8A Harrier on land and sea assignments in the United States, Europe and the Western Pacific.

NASA biography. https://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/oconnor-bd.html

Bryan D. O'Connor.jpg twentynine-palms-high-school-class-2004-2005-reun-96.png

Monterey High School in Monterey, CA.

Most famous alumni would probably be Leon Panetta, followed by Herm Edwards (who played HS football with my stepdad). Other notable athletes would be Pete Incaviglia, Mike Aldrete, and Charlie Harraway. Less notable alumni athletes that may stand out to people here would be a couple of my coaches in high school Henry and Harold Lusk, who both played at Utah, and I believe Harold is the all time interception leader there. Also Maurice Mann who was a very good receiver at UNR. 

23 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Reno High School

Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island and the inspiration (Pat McCarran) for the corrupt mob tool US Senator in The Godfather II are pretty much all we got.

David Padgett > McDonalds AA, and now former Louisville head coach :shrug:

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

David Padgett > McDonalds AA, and now former Louisville head coach :shrug:

Not terribly impressive. He was a so-so college player who never made it in the NBA and was essentially a temporary fill-in at Louisville when Pitino had to resign. Hardly on a hall of fame trajectory. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

13 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Not terribly impressive. He was a so-so college player who never made it in the NBA and was essentially a temporary fill-in at Louisville when Pitino had to resign. Hardly on a hall of fame trajectory. 

Well, if not for him Nevada would've never had the opportunity to beat Kansas twice. So, I think he is in my hall of fame.

Edit: Also Shawn Boskie, former MLB player, and John Savage, UCLA baseball coach and behind-the-scenes architect behind Nevada's baseball success in the 90s, are Reno grads.