Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Would New Mexico bring back Alford?

On 12/14/2018 at 6:58 AM, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

Jon Rothstein said the reason the MWC is a 1 bid conference is that their 3 "brands" are collectively 14-12.

Going into conference television negotiations, that's a death sentence. All 3 of the HCs at those programs are relatively new-ish hires, so they probably deserve more time.

That being said, if UCLA moves on from Alford, does New Mexico try to snatch him up?

Tark is not walking through those doors for UNLV. Steve Fisher is not walking through those doors for SDSU.

Can someone explain to me how UNM is one of the "most storied brands" in the MWC?  What have they ever done in their existence?  Not a single sweet sixteen to speak of.  They are best known for hosting the most storied game in MBB history (Jimmy V), a game they didn't even play in.  SMH...

21 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

Can someone explain to me how UNM is one of the "most storied brands" in the MWC?  What have they ever done in their existence?  Not a single sweet sixteen to speak of.  They are best known for hosting the most storied game in MBB history (Jimmy V), a game they didn't even play in.  SMH...

Haters gonna hate...

Speak when you guys win a tourney game this century.

5 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Haters gonna hate...

It's posts and tweets like this that get you guys all puffed up.  You have no basketball history.  Zilch.  Nada.  Several fan bases on here opine about the good old days.  Heck, UTEP has it's own thread and mentions/pictures of their storied history on this site.

You have a nice arena in WisePies that used to sellout every game.  Having a nice arena and supportive fans does not make you a "storied brand".

46 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

It's posts and tweets like this that get you guys all puffed up.  You have no basketball history.  Zilch.  Nada.  Several fan bases on here opine about the good old days.  Heck, UTEP has it's own thread and mentions/pictures of their storied history on this site.

You have a nice arena in WisePies that used to sellout every game.  Having a nice arena and supportive fans does not make you a "storied brand".

Pojoaque Posse,

Plz show me where nmsu has a sweet 16 that wasn't vacated.  Anything before 1985 is not called a sweet 16.  nmsu has not won a game in the tourney that hasn't been vacated since their final 4 run.  That win was in a consolation game which is the equivalent of a soccer friendly.  The NCAA did away with consolation games back in the '70's.  So,  nmsu has about 5 legitimate wins in the tourney.

4 wins in 69-70 tourney  (1 consolation game win)

1 win   in 68-69 tourney

2 wins in 67-68 tourney(1 consolation win)

all  tourney wins and losses in 91-92, 92-93, 93-94 vacated (along with 30 games in 97-98 & 28 games in 96-97 seasons) 

Sounds like UNM has more tourney wins than nmsu.  

4 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

Awe it's ok to be a little jealous. Being the tallest migdet doesn't help you guys get any recognition. 

1 hour ago, stchas said:

Pojoaque Posse,

Plz show me where nmsu has a sweet 16 that wasn't vacated.  Anything before 1985 is not called a sweet 16.  nmsu has not won a game in the tourney that hasn't been vacated since their final 4 run.  That win was in a consolation game which is the equivalent of a soccer friendly.  The NCAA did away with consolation games back in the '70's.  So,  nmsu has about 5 legitimate wins in the tourney.

4 wins in 69-70 tourney  (1 consolation game win)

1 win   in 68-69 tourney

2 wins in 67-68 tourney(1 consolation win)

all  tourney wins and losses in 91-92, 92-93, 93-94 vacated (along with 30 games in 97-98 & 28 games in 96-97 seasons) 

Sounds like UNM has more tourney wins than nmsu.  

The Fab Five is ingrained in everyone's mind and they even recently made a 30 for 30 to commemorate them.  Their entire existence was "vacated".  Does that mean they never happened?  You all look fondly at the Norm Ellenberger years.  Did those years never happen?  UNC just got busted for running a sham class to ensure student athletes kept their grades up and won a national championship doing just that.  They didn't have to vacate $hit, because they have deep pockets, are a P5 and the NCAA looked the other way.  So until we are all on an equal ground with the blue bloods, I will reverently look back at the 1990's and all that we accomplished during that time.

And who gives you the right to draw arbitrary lines on what "counts"?  You don't count our final four?  You don't count our sweet sixteen?  You don't count all of recent NCAA appearances since they came in the WAC or didn't result in tourney wins?  Lou Henson is in the hall of fame.  He has the most wins at 2 programs.  His name is adorned on the courts at both programs.  He retired in the top 10 all time in wins (he is still number 12).  What has UNM accomplished?

Any way you slice it, we have a much more storied program than you.

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

Awe it's ok to be a little jealous. Being the tallest migdet doesn't help you guys get any recognition. 

You are getting plenty of recognition yourselves with budget mismanagement, sucky football and basketball "programs".  You fall behind your MWC brethren every single day...

21 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

The Fab Five is ingrained in everyone's mind and they even recently made a 30 for 30 to commemorate them.  Their entire existence was "vacated".  Does that mean they never happened?  You all look fondly at the Norm Ellenberger years.  Did those years never happen?  UNC just got busted for running a sham class to ensure student athletes kept their grades up and won a national championship doing just that.  They didn't have to vacate $hit, because they have deep pockets, are a P5 and the NCAA looked the other way.  So until we are all on an equal ground with the blue bloods, I will reverently look back at the 1990's and all that we accomplished during that time.

And who gives you the right to draw arbitrary lines on what "counts"?  You don't count our final four?  You don't count our sweet sixteen?  You don't count all of recent NCAA appearances since they came in the WAC or didn't result in tourney wins?  Lou Henson is in the hall of fame.  He has the most wins at 2 programs.  His name is adorned on the courts at both programs.  He retired in the top 10 all time in wins (he is still number 12).  What has UNM accomplished?

Any way you slice it, we have a much more storied program than you.

Nope... The sweet 16 became a thing when the tourney expanded to 64 teams.  nmsu is not a storied program.  They have seven NCAA victories counting your two consolation victories.  You do however rank 6th all time on the vacated and forfeited game list.  Plz tell me how many sweet 16's you have.  If you have 5 wins, excluding your consolation wins, and 3 of those wins came in the 1970 tourney during the final 4 run, how does two more wins get you three more sweet 16's?(I have seen nmsu mktg claim that they have 4 sweet 16's)

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/03/which_teams_have_been_to_the_most_sweet_16s_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

10 minutes ago, stchas said:

Nope... The sweet 16 became a thing when the tourney expanded to 64 teams.  nmsu is not a storied program.  They have seven NCAA victories counting your two consolation victories.  You do however rank 6th all time on the vacated and forfeited game list.  Plz tell me how many sweet 16's you have.  If you have 5 wins, excluding your consolation wins, and 3 of those wins came in the 1970 tourney during the final 4 run, how does two more wins get you three more sweet 16's?(I have seen nmsu mktg claim that they have 4 sweet 16's)

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/03/which_teams_have_been_to_the_most_sweet_16s_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

Please remind us all where I stated we had 4 sweet sixteens.  I'm waiting...

4 minutes ago, stchas said:

Hey Pojo Pops,

Where does your "storied program" rank on this list?   Searching...searching...oh there you are!  #95!

collegebasketball.ap.org/top100

So you found a random top 100 that uses poll rankings to rank teams and you win the argument?  Like your NCAA tourney arguments, the polls have changed throughout the years.  Maybe it helped us in this list, maybe it hurt us.  Who knows?

How about this.  Name the most significant accomplishment in UNM history.  Just the single most important thing you all have done.  I'm waiting...

6 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

So you found a random top 100 that uses poll rankings to rank teams and you win the argument?  Like your NCAA tourney arguments, the polls have changed throughout the years.  Maybe it helped us in this list, maybe it hurt us.  Who knows?

How about this.  Name the most significant accomplishment in UNM history.  Just the single most important thing you all have done.  I'm waiting...

Let's see... 2nd most MWC all time championships behind SDSU, 3 National Championships in Women's Cross Country and Skiing, final 4 in Men's Soccer and played in a National Championship game in Men's Soccer, never lost a Rio Grande Rivalry series to nmsu, since joining the MWC UNM has the second most Men's basketball championships 2nd only to SDSU, also since joining the MWC UNM has a winning record at the PAN Am Ctr, leads head to head series in all sports vs nmsu( even your best sport volleyball).  Those were just of the top of my head.

44 minutes ago, stchas said:

Let's see... 2nd most MWC all time championships behind SDSU, 3 National Championships in Women's Cross Country and Skiing, final 4 in Men's Soccer and played in a National Championship game in Men's Soccer, never lost a Rio Grande Rivalry series to nmsu, since joining the MWC UNM has the second most Men's basketball championships 2nd only to SDSU, also since joining the MWC UNM has a winning record at the PAN Am Ctr, leads head to head series in all sports vs nmsu( even your best sport volleyball).  Those were just of the top of my head.

I was talking specifically about men's basketball, but very impressive list.  I'm sure everyone here on the MWC board was rendered speechless with that list of accomplishments.  Skiing national championships?!?!?!  2nd most MWC all time championships even?!?!  I wish I could pat you on the head.

BTW, you did lose the Rio Grande Rivalry to NMSU last year...oh wait, you guys decided to stop doing it last year, so it doesn't count.  I forget, when things don't go on the UNM side of the ledger, they don't count.

57 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

I was talking specifically about men's basketball, but very impressive list.  I'm sure everyone here on the MWC board was rendered speechless with that list of accomplishments.  Skiing national championships?!?!?!  2nd most MWC all time championships even?!?!  I wish I could pat you on the head.

BTW, you did lose the Rio Grande Rivalry to NMSU last year...oh wait, you guys decided to stop doing it last year, so it doesn't count.  I forget, when things don't go on the UNM side of the ledger, they don't count.

Actually, your athletic dept begged out of the Rio Grande Rivalry.  UNM was told by nmsu that nmsu "no longer recognizes the results" of the series.  I shouldn't list wins over nmsu as an accomplishment anyway.

Do you think that Jordan will interview for the UNM head volleyball coaching position? 

48 minutes ago, stchas said:

Actually, your athletic dept begged out of the Rio Grande Rivalry.  UNM was told by nmsu that nmsu "no longer recognizes the results" of the series.  I shouldn't list wins over nmsu as an accomplishment anyway.

Do you think that Jordan will interview for the UNM head volleyball coaching position? 

Please produce the article or reference that proves this.  You have a quote and everything, so that shouldn’t be a problem.  I’m waiting...

19 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Haters gonna hate...

100-65 bitch.  NMSU banged your 4 and 5 star recruits like a Tijuana Whore my friend.  No matter what you want to say NMSU has more NCAA appearances than your school will ever have.  Instead of looking on wiki for statistics about NMSU basketball and whining and arguing about how many sweet 16s we have made worry about your ridiculous dumpster fire you call the UNM athletics department.  BTW, NMSU just lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 while UNM is squeaking out wins at home vs. Iona.  Worry about the present and not NMSUs wins that were vacated.  

1 hour ago, dancingNMSUaggie said:

100-65 bitch.  NMSU banged your 4 and 5 star recruits like a Tijuana Whore my friend.  No matter what you want to say NMSU has more NCAA appearances than your school will ever have.  Instead of looking on wiki for statistics about NMSU basketball and whining and arguing about how many sweet 16s we have made worry about your ridiculous dumpster fire you call the UNM athletics department.  BTW, NMSU just lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 while UNM is squeaking out wins at home vs. Iona.  Worry about the present and not NMSUs wins that were vacated.  

What's wrong with Juárez? I don't have to look up wiki, I watch the tourney every year. I am not the one worried. You aggies came on here with your jealousy. It's funny how you think throwing tantrums like little kids will get you recognized. Your athletic department isn't in such great standing either to be throwing stones. How sad is it when your football team gets kicked out of the Sunbelt? 

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

What's wrong with Juárez? I don't have to look up wiki, I watch the tourney every year. I am not the one worried. You aggies came on here with your jealousy. It's funny how you think throwing tantrums like little kids will get you recognized. Your athletic department isn't in such great standing either to be throwing stones. How sad is it when your football team gets kicked out of the Sunbelt? 

I'll give an honest response on getting kicked out of the Sun Belt for football.  Don't care to participate in the back and forth tallest midget contest.

This year's football schedule was so much better.  We played Wyoming, USU, and BYU along with our normal UNM and UTEP games.  And this was the hardest year to schedule because of the short notice.  Next year is brutal with 3 money games, but we still get home dates with SDSU, Fresno, and UTEP.  Starting in 2020 we ramp up with even more MWC teams with UNM, SJSU, Hawaii, and Fresno.  It looks like we go back to 2 money games max also.  We are still playing a few Sun Belt teams, but MWC teams are more frequent.  I think we are quite happy with the way things are working out in the short term for next 3-4 years.  2021 schedule is filling in nicely with 8 games on tap.  Looking out past 2023,  we'll see where everything is.  It's too far to really predict anything.  As far as the basketball, is there really anything to even argue about?  We all know what has happened recently and who currently has the best program in the state.  I also recognize coaches come and go.  Alford had our number for many years.  As long as Jans is here, we are in good hands and will win a lot of games.  Will be interesting to see if Weir changes his stubborn ways with the press, because right now the formula isn't working.  I've been going to rivalry games for over 25 years, and i have never seen anything close to what happened in the Pan Am this year.  I won't be watching any UNM games rest of year, but there is no doubt that Weir does not have the horses to press all game and put a quality product on the floor.  Looking forward to attending football game in Albq next year and round 3 of Jans vs Weir in basketball.  I've posted here on and off for years as an Aggie fan and will continue to do so as a fan off college sports and teams out west, and i wouldn't characterize my posts as having any jealousy whatsoever.  I also recognize you weren't referring to me.