Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

BYU vs UNLV - T-Mobile Arena

DATE: Saturday, December 15
TIME: 5:30 p.m.
SITE: T-Mobile Arena (18,000), Las Vegas
TV: ESPN3 (Eric Rothman, Sean Farnham)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith, sideline reporter: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com

UNLV leads the all-time series 18-16

Saturday will mark UNLV’s fourth game playing at T-Mobile Arena. UNLV is 2-1 all-time in the facility as it lost to Duke in 2016 and defeated Rice and Utah in 2017

UNLV is 5-3 vs. BYU over the last eight meetings

UNLV is 14-5 all-time vs. BYU at home and 4-11 on the road. This will mark the first neutral-site game between the two teams

BYU has won three straight games after dropping three straight

BYU is 7-1 at home this year, 0-3 on the road and 1-0 in neutral-site games

The Cougars are coming off an 85-66 win over Portland State on Wednesday. Prior to that, BYU defeated Utah (74-59) in Salt Lake City and beat Utah State (95-80 at home). The losses were to Houston (76-62), at Illinois State in overtime (92-89) and at Weber State (113-103)

UNLV leads the MW in scoring defense, allowing just 66.0 ppg. UNLV is also first in offensive rebounding (15.5 orpg, sixth in the country) and blocks (5.0 bpg). The Runnin’ Rebels rank second in the league in rebound margin (+10.4, 14th in the country), rebounds per game (41.1 rpg) and limiting their opponents rebounds (30.8 rpg)

UNLV is led in scoring by senior guard Kris Clyburn’s 11.3 ppg. Senior forward Shakur Juiston is second in scoring (10.8 ppg) and leads the team in rebounding (8.8 rpg)

Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,047 games played

UNLV has out-rebounded each of its first eight opponents this season

UNLV shot a season-low 33.8 percent from the field (23 of 68) at Illinois 

Amauri Hardy played a season high 29 minutes at Illinois

Hardys scoring average is at a season high 10.4 ppg

Robotham has 1 assist in his last two games

Juiston has played season lows of 24 minutes his last two games

Juiston has 44 rebounds in his last four games, but has only 9 in this last two games

Bryce Hamilton is 0-8 from the arc in his last three games

Beck played a season low 5 minutes against Illinois 

Woodbury is 0-7 in FG's this season 

Ntambwe played a season high 27 minutes vs Illinois which his is first game of 20+ minutes playing time

Ntambwe is scoring a season high 6.6 ppg

Diong grabbed a season high 13 rebounds against Illinois

Woodbury has 6 personal fouls in 40 minutes playing time or 1 foul for every 4.5 minutes played

No player is averaging 30 minutes of playing time 

UNLV has had 5 different leading scorers in the 8 games this season (Juiston-3 Clyburn-2 Hamilton-1 Hardy-1 Ntambwe-1)

UNLV has scored 280 1st half points to opponents 235 

Opponents have scored 293 2nd half points to UNLV's 287

This trend may not speak well to Marvin's ability to make adjustments. Hmm...

Last years games at the ATT were part of the season ticket package. This year season ticket holders were just able to buy their tickets a little in advance but still paid full price. The prices were crazy so we decided not to pay. I guess ATT figured that they would rather make a killing from a few BYU fans than actually putting butting in the seats. If the prices would have been reasonable they could have sold more and still made some descent money. If Las Vegas fans gave a crap and had faith in this current team then they could;d have sold a bunch of seats. Probably why they went the high priced tickets for a few route.

3 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Last years games at the ATT were part of the season ticket package. This year season ticket holders were just able to buy their tickets a little in advance but still paid full price. The prices were crazy so we decided not to pay. I guess ATT figured that they would rather make a killing from a few BYU fans than actually putting butting in the seats. If the prices would have been reasonable they could have sold more and still made some descent money. If Las Vegas fans gave a crap and had faith in this current team then they could;d have sold a bunch of seats. Probably why they went the high priced tickets for a few route.

Agreed, it's UTTERLY ridiculous to expect fans to pay premium NBA prices to watch a few mediocre college teams, I don't care what arena it's in.

I was in SLC over Thanksgiving, got tickets to a Utah Jazz game for $15 bucks a person. Going to a Phoenix Suns game in a few weeks (vs. Denver), paid $17 for those. Sorry but I flat out refuse to pay anywhere close to what they're asking for this Saturday's game, it's robbery.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Eh...I think we got a discount.  Paid $90 for mine in most expensive tier besides courtside.  Gets access to the lounge and stuff.  Looking forward to having a good time win or lose. 

Last few years when we go outside T&M they give is tix as part of the package but they're end zone upper deckers.  This year we had to pay but they gave us prime tix at a discount. Me, I'll take the good ones and pay, but that's me. I did give up my fb tix this last year so I understand how you feel.  What I really want is for them to lower the price of season tix. They're quite high for college bball, especially if the program isn't producing a tope level product.  My sister's CU tix are almost a third of the price of mine and she sits 7 rows back in a middle section.  Mine are decent but not nearly that good.   

10 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

juis probably isn't playing, knee injury.

If he is out with his knee do you think MM will play small? Or will this be a game that Dembele has his chance to actually try and prove he can play better than he has been?

9 hours ago, toonkee said:

This trend may not speak well to Marvin's ability to make adjustments. Hmm...

In the last two games (illini & cincy), UNLV has won the 2nd half. Marvin said they emphasized 2nd half adjustments over pregame scouts after Valpo. 

I dont think this is a typical season, in that it's not so much about playing the actual best players / lineups for most of the game. They are finding out what a lot of these young guys are and getting them minutes. Sort of like playing Woodbury at odd times, or playing an unproven JTT over Dembele or Beck. Ntambwe over a 3rd guard.

This entire ooc is mostly about preparing for the mwc, not getting wins for a tournament selection. So im just not placing much emphasis on things the same either.

The first six games in conference I will begin to really scrutinize what the coaching staff is doing more closely. Not just games one or two, either. Im going to look at the entire first 6 games as a mini season.

6 minutes ago, 702 said:

If he is out with his knee do you think MM will play small? Or will this be a game that Dembele has his chance to actually try and prove he can play better than he has been?

Im thinking JTT plays more, as well as Beck. 

Curious to see who starts. 3 guards(Amauri starts) sliding Ntambwe to the 4, or JTT or Beck start at the 4. 

My guess is JTT starts.

Well I guess tomorrows game will have an Asterix after it. Our best player from last year is out with a knee injury and the coach is still switching lineups in an attempt to find a lineup that can play with consistency for 40 minutes so I guess it is the same as a scrimmage. The failure of our OOC really doesn't count anyway, it's not like our coach scheduled down in an attempt to chalk up cheap wins and even that strategy failed. So really it's all about the 3rd and 5th game going into conference unless we lose the 3rd or 5th game and then it was really about the 4th and 2nd game unless 2 senior starters play poorly and then it is about an unknown freshman rotation unless we win and then it was about wise coaching decisions unless we lose and then it is about the players that were brought in during the 2nd year which was really the 1st year unless we finish with a losing record this year and then next year will really be the 1st year.

By golly I think I've got it unless it changes again. Well hell of course it will change again but then really it has never changed because it has always been consistent except for when it changed because...well you know. 

Guest #1Stunner

This is going to be a challenging "road" game for UNLV.  UNLV better be prepared to play in front of an all BYU crowd.

J/K.  Not sure if that many BYU fans will attend.  Ticket prices are too high.