Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

AZ no longer has JuCo football.

California has a lot JuCo football teams, maybe some of the Arizona players will find a place to play here. 

11 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Mississippi the only ones left? 

California has 68 JuCo teams. http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2018-19/standings

15 minutes ago, crixus said:

California has a lot JuCo football teams, maybe some of the Arizona players will find a place to play here. 

SJSU is a JuCo powerhouse

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

35 minutes ago, crixus said:

From which it can be assumed Hawaii gets no transfers?

Edit: That assumption would be incorrect: http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/2018-uh-football-roster/

Boom goes the dynamite.

Because of all the CTE issues, I expect the number of football programs to dwindle.  Most aren't profitable anyway. 

Once high schools start dropping football, the long term health of the sport will be in jeopardy.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

50 minutes ago, crixus said:

Majority of these kids are impoverished so a move to Cali or any other state may not be in the cards for them.

49 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Minnesota and New York have JC ball too. 

50 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

41 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

I know Iowa and Utah have Juco teams as well. 

There was 120 JuCo schools that played football around the country not sure what the number is now with AZ no longer having any. I believe it was 12? NM only has one that plays football (NMMI). 

2 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Sad for all the kids who need a little help academically. 700 kids whose dreams of making it to D1 ball or even graduating may be shattered.

http://ktar.com/story/2353114/eastern-arizona-college-ends-states-last-junior-college-football-program/

Well let’s be honest, most of these guys’ D1 dreams would have been shattered a year or two later anyway.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well let’s be honest, most of these guys’ D1 dreams would have been shattered a year or two later anyway.

True but having the rug pulled from under them so early must be extremely difficult. For many football provides the discipline they need in order to graduate.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, Lobo Amor said:

True but having the rug pulled from under them so early must be extremely difficult. For many football provides the discipline they need in order to graduate.

I agree. I ran Track at a JuCo (College of the Desert) before I transferred and it was a great experience all around. 

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Because of all the CTE issues, I expect the number of football programs to dwindle.  Most aren't profitable anyway. 

Once high schools start dropping football, the long term health of the sport will be in jeopardy.

Yep. Although I predict that new collegiate football will emerge and take off like wildfire.   A flag football version that largely reduces concussion risks. 

Juco football is rife with scandal. It should probably be completely eliminated.

If that were the case, I think the ncaa should allow teams to have “practice squads” with guys who don’t have to worry about staying eligible. They’d practice with the team and maybe scrimmage with other schools practice squads. You can be a practice squad guy for a maximum of 3 years while you get your academics in order, after which time the program can decide if you’re worthy of a 2-year scholarship. If not, you’re free to transfer anywhere that will have you. 

A system like this would help the kinds of kids who usually play juco ball - impoverished, nowhere else to go - get some stability in their lives.

55 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Yep. Although I predict that new collegiate football will emerge and take off like wildfire.   A flag football version that largely reduces concussion risks. 

I think we'll see improved head gear and more stringent rules and concussion protocol first.  But changes are coming.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Majority of these kids are impoverished so a move to Cali or any other state may not be in the cards for them.

I don't agree with your supposition that most juco football players are impoverished.  Half my buddies played juco football.