Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

MW is Largely Below Average

But everyone flipped their $h!+ when I said there's no reason UNLV cannot run the table vs teams like afa, csu, wyo, sjsu, bsu. All are .500 or below. 
Sweeping those teams would be 10 wins. Marvin really lucks out this year, potentially, because Rebs only play usu and fresno once each. 

If Marvin cant get to 10-8 or better this year, he's really going to have to stack next years roster. The bottom of the conference is ripe for the picking this year.

I also think usu is probably overrated and could be brought back to Earth in the MWC. They are upperclassmen led, though. So we will see how for real they are very soon.

Of the teams that used to be called the "big 3,"  which one is most likely to get to the NCAA or NIT first?

We don't really have a big three anymore.  But there is no reason we can't have 2-4 good teams every year.  We should be getting at least two in the dance and one or two in the NIT every year.

USU & Fresno are off to a good start. UNM & SDSU are both better than their record. 

We are down, but I don't think we are as bad as things appear right now.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, qwelish said:

But everyone flipped their $h!+ when I said there's no reason UNLV cannot run the table vs teams like afa, csu, wyo, sjsu, bsu. All are .500 or below. 
Sweeping those teams would be 10 wins. Marvin really lucks out this year, potentially, because Rebs only play usu and fresno once each. 

If Marvin cant get to 10-8 or better this year, he's really going to have to stack next years roster. The bottom of the conference is ripe for the picking this year.

I also think usu is probably overrated and could be brought back to Earth in the MWC. They are upperclassmen led, though. So we will see how for real they are very soon.

No one lost their shit.  We just questioned your ability to run that table.  You are lucky you don't have USU & FSU twice, so maybe you're in the drivers seat as the cream of the crap, but you still have win on the road.  No easy task for anyone, even when you're good.

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

You are lucky you don't have USU & FSU twice, so maybe you're in the drivers seat as the cream of the crap, but you still have win on the road.  No easy task for anyone, even when you're good.

Not questioning any of that at all. Especially for a mostly freshman and sophomore team. 

I think they drop at least one or two vs the cream of the crap bottom-halfers. But also hoping to steal one or two against the top half too. 

It's lined up perfectly, but that guarantees nothing for this program.

6 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Not questioning any of that at all. Especially for a mostly freshman and sophomore team. 

I think they drop at least one or two vs the cream of the crap bottom-halfers. But also hoping to steal one or two against the top half too. 

I think that's a good take.  Hell, you won at Lawlor last year. No easy task for any team.

I'm guessing you pull off an upset or two, but also have losses to teams you should have beaten.

Do you think you'll win more or less games than last year?  I'm guessing less. You really have no replacement for McCoy.  

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think that's a good take.  Hell, you won at Lawlor last year. No easy task for any team.

I'm guessing you pull off an upset or two, but also have losses to teams you should have beaten.

Do you think you'll win more or less games than last year?  I'm guessing less. You really have no replacement for McCoy.  

Overall, less. 

I think Rebs win more in the MWC, which is more important for where this program sits right now.

This year there's really no shot at winning the conference or the auto-bid. But next year at least that auto-bid should be on the table. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

21 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Reminds me of the time the Jags went 14-2 (all wina vs sub 500 teams) and the Titans went 13-3 and were the 5 seed. Guess who beat the Jags 3 times that year, including the AFC title game? All you are is who you've played.

58 minutes ago, qwelish said:

You could be right. I find it interesting how many people always refer to USU as a mature team, heavily experienced, or veteran led no matter what our starting lineup looks like. Year after year it's the same description - is it the BYU factor of association because we're located in the same state so we must be similar? It's an odd phenomenon. Ironically the BYUtv network announcers kept saying the same thing about the Aggies the entire game when we played them, yet here we are facing the same players that seem like they have been in Provo for 5 years already and look like they are in their mid-30's and 40's.

USU starts either 3 freshman, 1 junior, and 1 senior OR 2 freshman, 1 sophomore, 1 junior, and 1 senior. The senior being Quinn Taylor who was a walk-on and has been largely forced into action out of need and a lack of other available options. I suppose the comment could come from the fact that Sam Merrill is the Junior starter and is the obvious leader of the team but it's seems like a stretch to call an entire team experienced based on a single player.

5 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I find it interesting how many people always refer to USU as a mature team, heavily experienced, or veteran led no matter what our starting lineup looks like. Year after year it's the same description - is it the BYU factor of association because we're located in the same state so we must be similar?

No, not really. To be honest, noone outside of utah cares about utah state. Hell, most people inside of utah dont care about usu. Just being honest. 

As far as usu being upperclassmen led, as I specifically stated. Merrill, Taylor, Brown Jr and Brito are all JR and SR, who are among the team leaders in minutes, rebounds, scoring and assists. In fact 3 of your top 4 in every category are SR or JR.

That is upperclassmen led in literally every facet of your team.

But again, no one cares.

9 minutes ago, qwelish said:

No, not really. To be honest, noone outside of utah cares about utah state. Hell, most people inside of utah dont care about usu. Just being honest. 

As far as usu being upperclassmen led, as I specifically stated. Merrill, Taylor, Brown Jr and Brito are all JR and SR, who are among the team leaders in minutes, rebounds, scoring and assists. In fact 3 of your top 4 in every category are SR or JR.

That is upperclassmen led in literally every facet of your team.

But again, no one cares.

If that’s the case so is UNLV. The 3 top MPG are seniors, top 2 scorers are seniors, top assist guy is senior, top rebounder. 

UNLV is literally a senior led team in all categories.

Utah st is good this year. What’s UNLVs excuse?

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

You could be right. I find it interesting how many people always refer to USU as a mature team, heavily experienced, or veteran led no matter what our starting lineup looks like. Year after year it's the same description - is it the BYU factor of association because we're located in the same state so we must be similar? It's an odd phenomenon. Ironically the BYUtv network announcers kept saying the same thing about the Aggies the entire game when we played them, yet here we are facing the same players that seem like they have been in Provo for 5 years already and look like they are in their mid-30's and 40's.

USU starts either 3 freshman, 1 junior, and 1 senior OR 2 freshman, 1 sophomore, 1 junior, and 1 senior. The senior being Quinn Taylor who was a walk-on and has been largely forced into action out of need and a lack of other available options. I suppose the comment could come from the fact that Sam Merrill is the Junior starter and is the obvious leader of the team but it's seems like a stretch to call an entire team experienced based on a single player.

USU is often called "BYU lite" or "BYU Jr" on here, and accurately so.

The reason that everyone calls USU a "mature team" is because USU is loaded with return missionaries, that like BYU, are 2 years older than other teams' players.

A brief look shows the following Return Missionaries on USU's Basketball Roster:

1---Crew Ainge

2---Sam Merrill

3---Quin Taylor

4---Abel Porter

5---Brock Miller

6---Alek Johnson

Basically half of USU's team. 

So, it's ironic that you call BYU out for having guys "in their 30s and 40s", when USU's team looks exactly the same as BYU's team most years.