Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Does an 8 Team Playoff Increase the Odds of BYU joining a conf?

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, RamSack said:

If so, which one?

Depends on what the rules are regarding selection of teams.

That said, if BYU wanted to join a G5 conference, it would be between the AAC and MWC (either would work).  And it would probably come down to whichever conference had the better TV deal, and allowed for ownership of tier 3 rights.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That said, if BYU wanted to join a G5 conference, it would be between the AAC and MWC (either would work).  And it would probably come down to whichever conference had the better TV deal, and allowed for ownership of tier 3 rights.

More importantly, which one offers better ice cream?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, mugtang said:

More importantly, which one offers better ice cream?

Probably the MWC (you got USU).

But, that is balanced out by the fact that you have SJSU and Wyoming.  These two dead weights make the MWC much less appealing (sorry).

Guest #1Stunner
On 12/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm guessing AAC.  That way they can claim P6 status.

The AAC is appealing, no doubt.

They are the premier G5 conference right now in basketball and football.   I'm not sure if BYU would join the AAC as "football only", though.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

But, that is balanced out by the fact that you have SJSU and Wyoming.  These two dead weights make the MWC much less appealing (sorry).

What if we trade SJSU for BYU? :hmmm:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

What the MWC should be concerned about is if BYU unilaterally joins the AAC, which would bring the AAC to 12 football schools.   

Would that then result in 2 more MWC schools trying to follow BYU?    I mean, BYU is the most popular, most discussed, most followed school in the MWC (7 years after leaving).  I'm not sure that Boise wouldn't love to be in a conference with BYU.  Can't speak for the MWC schools, though.

22 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

But, that is balanced out by the fact that you have SJSU, Wyoming, and New Mexico.  These two dead weights make the MWC much less appealing (sorry).

fify.  New Mexico sucks. 

http://www.winsipedia.com/wyoming/vs/new-mexico 

http://www.winsipedia.com/san-jose-state/vs/new-mexico

If we add BYU, would we want to add another? Do we care about even division numbers? 

If so who do we add? NMSU, UTEP? Or do we chance getting Eastern Washingtion or Montana the shot of moving up?

Do we pursue all sports or football only for BYU? Do we then counter in basketball only with Gonzaga a few years down the line? Jesus Christ my brain hurts...

30 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What the MWC should be concerned about is if BYU unilaterally joins the AAC, which would bring the AAC to 12 football schools.   

Would that then result in 2 more MWC schools trying to follow BYU?    I mean, BYU is the most popular, most discussed, most followed school in the MWC (7 years after leaving).  I'm not sure that Boise wouldn't love to be in a conference with BYU.  Can't speak for the MWC schools, though.

I don't disagree except for this. When it was still being called the New Big East, that conference could have massively upgraded its footprint and turned the MWC into CUSA 2.0 by extending its offer to Boise and SDSU to include all sports and by making the same offer to two schools among CSU, Fresno State and UNLV. Instead, it offered Too-lame University. So as I try to point out when appropriate, the AAC is run by idiots of a magnitude equivalent to that of the MWC and you're giving them much too much credit.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

We’d have to make sufficiently more than we currently do to justify breaking up our sports...

BSU with BYU and Gonzaga might be a sell, but we enjoy our current contract with the MW...

New-Signature.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

We’d have to make sufficiently more than we currently do to justify breaking up our sports...

BSU with BYU and Gonzaga might be a sell, but we enjoy our current contract with the MW...

Can't blame Boise.  You guys negotiated that perpetual sweetheart deal with ESPN that has served you well.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Can't blame Boise.  You guys negotiated that perpetual sweetheart deal with ESPN that has served you well.

We need to tell the MW, or negotiate with ESPN directly, and update the start times for our home games...

These stupid late-night start times are certainly a significant issue for our attendance - its obviously costing us loss in revenue..

New-Signature.jpg

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Sweet. American it is.

7 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

If we add BYU, would we want to add another? Do we care about even division numbers? 

If so who do we add? NMSU, UTEP? Or do we chance getting Eastern Washingtion or Montana the shot of moving up?

Do we pursue all sports or football only for BYU? Do we then counter in basketball only with Gonzaga a few years down the line? Jesus Christ my brain hurts...

Alot depends on whether a championship game is included or not.

8 hours ago, RamSack said:

If so, which one?

They would need to try and engage the AAC.  But I don’t think they would take byu with out BSU.  Now if they could manage to get Boise on board and follow them over there, then yeah I believe the AAC would take them.  The only conferences a 8 team bid helps is the AAC and MW.  MW isn’t an option with the current members so I would think they have to go east. 

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

How much of a Bay Area presence does one need?  USF, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and SJSU?  Good Lord!