Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

Stuff to do in San Diego

Going to the Holiday Bowl with wife and 2 kids ( 11 and 14 ). Will be there for 3 days.

Any suggestions on stuff to do and places to eat? We have been once before, and went to Sea World, zoo and Mission Beach. I assume it will be too cold for beach, correct?

Suggestions appreciated, Thanks.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

USS Midway museum at harborfront.  Cool to go into and see up close an aircraft carrier.  If you follow the walking path south of the Carrier museum, you'll come up on some cool WWII memorials, including a giant statue of the immortal kiss captured by life magazine after the unconditional surrender.  That statue is really close to an awesome restaurant, The Fish Market.  Definitely eat there.  Everything is good, but they especially have awesome oyster bar.

Going North on Harbor drive, you'll run into some harbor tours which can be good - Again, naval sightseeing is the biggest draw, as you can see all the ships at port, or in reserve.  Subs too.

Further up is an old three master ship museum, The Star of India.  Pretty cool tour, and the ship has an interesting history.

The San Diego Zoo is near the harborfront - short drive. Really good zoo, lots of walking.

https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/

If you're up to a longer drive, go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park - that's how I knew it, looks like it's been renamed to San Diego Safari Park.  Absolutely awesome park.  Plan beforehand because you can reserve a special tour to feed the giraffes and other big African animals from the back of a truck.  Seriously cool.  But seats are limited, and rarely available the day you visit.

https://www.sdzsafaripark.org/

Balboa Park is just on the edge of downtown and is really nice as well.  Home to a bunch of museums and the zoo is located beside it.

San Diego air & space museum, the museum of art, & natural history museum are all in Balboa park. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Guest #1Stunner
On 12/11/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mano said:

Going to the Holiday Bowl with wife and 2 kids ( 11 and 14 ). Will be there for 3 days.

Any suggestions on stuff to do and places to eat? We have been once before, and went to Sea World, zoo and Mission Beach. I assume it will be too cold for beach, correct?

Suggestions appreciated, Thanks.

Eat at Hodad's.  It's the Crown Burger of San Diego.

Also, I'm opposed to Sea World's whale thing... but I went there recently, and honestly, it was a fun experience.  Sort of Lagoon / Zoo.

Skip the SD Zoo.  The Hogle Zoo is more fun than the SD Zoo.

.And if you need any help about things to do in San Diego, talk to @dshawfan.  He's an expert.

I always stop by the Coyote Cafe in Old Town every time I go to San Diego.  Their Carne Asada tacos are awesome.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

Old Town Trolley Tours takes you around SD and allows you to hop on and off for a flat fee.

The beaches won't be advisable to plan for swimming, but should be decent enough to walk around.  Balboa Park's museums are a good family outing, and yes, the zoo is right there too.  If you are there Friday morning, there should be Marine Corps boot camp graduation, and the Depot is open to visitors on that morning.

USS Midway, a Hornblower cruise, and a stroll through Seaport Village is all at the Harbor.  If beer is your thing, Stone has a great place in Liberty Station, and kids are allowed.

Burgers at Hodads or Bareback Grill, breakfast at Hash House for portion sizes or Kono's for the view, Lucha Libre for novelty with your taco/burritos or Coyote Cafe, Oscar's or Taco Surf for other options, wherever in Little Italy, or if you are up in North County, tons of options right on Pacific Coast Highway from Encinitas to Oceanside.

Oh, and of course Gaslamp, but don't know if that would be great with the kids.