Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

14 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

No one has mentioned who we could get that would win.  News flash...Rick Pitino isn’t coming here, nor does he want to.  Just listen to his interview from The Press Box a few weeks ago.

Alford will be a option once he gets fired by UCLA. Why wouldn't Pitino be a option? No big time program will be calling him anytime soon.

Comes down to wins and losses, barely over .500 in the third season. Not the way to roll into MWC play and Marv has to turn it around in conference play or he’s toast. I’m sure we will get an article from Graney on why we should keep Mediocre Marv. 

4 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Alford will be a option once he gets fired by UCLA. Why wouldn't Pitino be a option? No big time program will be calling him anytime soon.

Assford is a loser option.  Can’t do better than the Sweet 16 at UCLA.

37 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

If she is, nothing would happen midseason.  It would be a waste of time because we’d make a loser offer and land nobody as a result.

If the team quits again this year he might get fired.  Looks like they quit on him again tonight.  This year isn’t going to end well.  Looks like a complete house cleaning is coming.  

52 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

No one has mentioned who we could get that would win.  News flash...Rick Pitino isn’t coming here, nor does he want to.  Just listen to his interview from The Press Box a few weeks ago.

You don't need a brand name. You can't afford one anyway.

I had never heard of Trent Johnson or Eric Musselmen before we hired them.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

28 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You don't need a brand name. You can't afford one anyway.

I had never heard of Trent Johnson or Eric Musselmen before we hired them.

You never heard of Duke, or the nba? Both well know names.

1 hour ago, slappy said:

I think he would be a good assistant at this level.  Unlv needs a real head coach. Proven at this level or above. 

Just not an informed statement. Nmsu is much better than UNLV right now and has been for about 5 years now. Try again.

Where Marvin has failed is in recruiting. Big time recruits are not going for the trust daddy Marvin thing. Marvin needs to understand that dealing with players as men and professionals is a different level. 

These projects are not enough and hes got to learn to coach american players and some egos to get a program like UNLV to where it needs to be. Hes approaching this too much like nmsu and that will probably not work here because the conference is much better. 

This is what has concerned me. I thought it would take longer to determine. The writing has been the wall, but this 30pt loss to a 5-6 bucknell has totally undressed Marvin.

He cannot stay this course. He knows it too. Thats why he broke down and played Beck. He totally didnt want to play beck or woodbury or hamilton. He wants to play his seniors and ntambwe. 

Those seniors she not be playing or starting. Is this win now mode or building? If hes building, why isnt he determined to get the younger guys minutes? It cant be both.

Contrary to what some will try to make you believe Marvin has put together a group or talented, motivated and coachable players. The only problem is that the person responsible for teaching the fundamental game of basketball and developing players is incapable of doing the job required at this level. 

There will be the next generation of up and coming successful college basketball coaches. The NCAA has many successful young coaches that aren't getting paid $3 million.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

4 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

His  buyout is 6.2 mil.  He might take some time off.  And who knows how he'll do in conference play?

Barack Obama

I've been a defender of Marv, but after that travesty in Honolulu I can no longer defend him.  I wasn't expecting UNLV to be world beaters this year, but I also wasn't expecting to see a blowout loss to a bad Bucknell team or losses to Valpo and LMU. I like the players he's bringing in, but I'm rapidly losing faith that he can get them to compete at a higher level. If the Rebels go 9-9 or worse in MW play it might be time to move on.  2 things that tell me this could be it for Marv, barring a very good conference record, 1. He's not Desiree's guy, and 2. The attendance will continue to be all time terrible, something that has to change.

Some wonder where we're going to come up with the money, I don't know, but they somehow found $3 million laying around to throw at Mick Cronin.

The amount of money going into the program is about the same as before. The announced is ticket sales, so theyre still moving their 9k seats or whatever. O dont even want to hear about concessions, etc. Whatever.

Menzies can still right this ship, but will he? That performance, the way the players were completely outclassed  and the guys Marvin plays and doesnt play. It gives me great pause as to whether he has enough flexibility as a coach to go away from his philosophy and coach this team to its strengths instead of how he wants to play in the future that may never come.

1 hour ago, Amaru523 said:

I've been a defender of Marv, but after that travesty in Honolulu I can no longer defend him.  I wasn't expecting UNLV to be world beaters this year, but I also wasn't expecting to see a blowout loss to a bad Bucknell team or losses to Valpo and LMU. I like the players he's bringing in, but I'm rapidly losing faith that he can get them to compete at a higher level. If the Rebels go 9-9 or worse in MW play it might be time to move on.  2 things that tell me this could be it for Marv, barring a very good conference record, 1. He's not Desiree's guy, and 2. The attendance will continue to be all time terrible, something that has to change.

Some wonder where we're going to come up with the money, I don't know, but they somehow found $3 million laying around to throw at Mick Cronin.

Regarding the 3 million on the table for Cronin was because of Under Armour was willing to pay for most of the contract if UNLV signed him and Under Armour. They were a package deal from what I understood. 

47 minutes ago, qwelish said:

The amount of money going into the program is about the same as before. The announced is ticket sales, so theyre still moving their 9k seats or whatever. O dont even want to hear about concessions, etc. Whatever.

Menzies can still right this ship, but will he? That performance, the way the players were completely outclassed  and the guys Marvin plays and doesnt play. It gives me great pause as to whether he has enough flexibility as a coach to go away from his philosophy and coach this team to its strengths instead of how he wants to play in the future that may never come.

Honestly, I don't think Menzies can right this ship.  Not with freshmen anyway.  He needs to rely more heavily on transfers, IMO.  He needs to get guys who can already play at this level and just be plugged into his system. 

This isn't the WAC where you can recruit the kind of guys you have on the roster and just beat your opponents with superior athletes.  That is kind of how Marv did it at NMSU.  Once NV & USU left, that strategy worked very well in the WAC. 

Marv is no wizard with X's & O's and his half time and time out adjustments aren't all that great either.   But his teams always play hard.  Sometimes hard and stupid, but always hard.

Barack Obama

36 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Marv is no wizard with X's & O's and his half time and time out adjustments aren't all that great either.   But his teams always play hard.  Sometimes hard and stupid, but always hard.

Well the team has won  4 of the last 6 second halfs. His x & o's are decent if hes got good players. The problem is he has brought in half players, half projects, but he has completly fallen in love with his projects and has not let the hoopers on the floor at all. 

If his recruiting was better what he wants to do would work, but he has had way too many misses in recruiting upper end players. He has also resisted bringing in the 2 to 3 year transfer. 

This is why I say he needs to change his philosphy quick on a lot of things. Its doubtful because after the game he was blaming the players, again. So not a good sign moving forward. This loss and where the program sits right now is on this staff.

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

Regarding the 3 million on the table for Cronin was because of Under Armour was willing to pay for most of the contract if UNLV signed him and Under Armour. They were a package deal from what I understood. 

IIRC Under Armour was willing to pay $1 mil. Would have to go back and check though. 

Edit: https://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/3/23/11288436/unlv-miock-cronin-head-coach-contract

Yeah, Under Armour was willing to pay $1 mil. The contract would have been $2 mil