Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Vegas take on Twitter saying that UNLV is having discussions about the CBI tournament this year. 

If true, administration or Menzies must be desperate to show progress under CMM by buying their way to a postseason tournament. 

If they do this, it means the UNLV administration buys the 11 freshmen and sophomore line and that MM will most likely be back next season.

I just wonder if he will actually play the young guys during the tournament. I doubt it.

I still think Marvin is back next year.

39 minutes ago, qwelish said:

If they do this, it means the UNLV administration buys the 11 freshmen and sophomore line and that MM will most likely be back next season.

I just wonder if he will actually play the young guys during the tournament. I doubt it.

I still think Marvin is back next year.

??????

6 out of 8 in the main rotation that are coming back are all already getting minutes.

If you mean sit Robotham and Clyburn to throw Woodbury more minutes...then of course that won't happen.

Beck, Coleman and Coupet aren't the future of this team and they are the only ones other than Woodbury not getting consistent run.

95% Menzies is back.

5% we fire him and hire another underwhelming guy and we're back to rebuilding as some will probably leave.

Juiston, Blair and Dembele seniors. Hardy and Diong juniors. Ntwambe, JTT, Hamilton and Woodbury sophomores. The 2 new freshmen who will fight for mins early alongside big ass Louis Bangai off a redshirt year.

Ntwambe, Hardy and Juiston is a helluva trio.

Add in Blair, Diong, Hamilton, JTT and supplemental players.

I'm one of very few who is very excited the next few years. Feel like this program might finally pull itself out the quicksand. Plus MWC looks pretty open next year. UNLV could even be top 2 preseason MWC based on who we bring back...and who everyone else doesn't.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

13 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

??????

6 out of 8 in the main rotation that are coming back are all already getting minutes.

If you mean sit Robotham and Clyburn to throw Woodbury more minutes...then of course that won't happen.

Beck, Coleman and Coupet aren't the future of this team and they are the only ones other than Woodbury not getting consistent run.

95% Menzies is back.

5% we fire him and hire another underwhelming guy and we're back to rebuilding as some will probably leave.

Juiston, Blair and Dembele seniors. Hardy and Diong juniors. Ntwambe, JTT, Hamilton and Woodbury sophomores. The 2 new freshmen who will fight for mins early alongside big ass Louis Bangai off a redshirt year.

I'm one of very few who is very excited the next few years. Feel like this program might finally pull itself out the quicksand. Plus MWC looks pretty open next year. UNLV could even be top 2 preseason MWC based on who we bring back...and who everyone else doesn't.

Dembele is Butt with a capitol B.  

Juiston was underwhelming before he got hurt; absolute turnover machine and totally invisible for large stretches, especially against decent opponents.  Hopefully he comes back looking more like last year and less like this year, but he might not come back at all.

I love Blair but he's severely limited.  He does know the intricacies of how to play the game though.

Hardy and Diong both have a chance to be VERY good, but Diong still hasn't figured out where to be on the court most of the time.  

Ntambwe has a lot of potential but I think he's being over-rated by many.  He is only a freshman but other than a brief stretch against cupcakes where he was all-world, he's been pedestrian the rest of the year.

JTT is Butt.

Woodbury hasn't shown much to me at all, but he is only a freshmen.  I still don't think he ever becomes more than a role player at best.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Dembele is Butt with a capitol B.  

Juiston was underwhelming before he got hurt; absolute turnover machine and totally invisible for large stretches, especially against decent opponents.  Hopefully he comes back looking more like last year and less like this year, but he might not come back at all.

I love Blair but he's severely limited.  He does know the intricacies of how to play the game though.

Hardy and Diong both have a chance to be VERY good, but Diong still hasn't figured out where to be on the court most of the time.  

Ntambwe has a lot of potential but I think he's being over-rated by many.  He is only a freshman but other than a brief stretch against cupcakes where he was all-world, he's been pedestrian the rest of the year.

JTT is Butt.

Woodbury hasn't shown much to me at all, but he is only a freshmen.  I still don't think he ever becomes more than a role player at best.

Dembele is depth we could use right now..or especially when Blair was playing the 5.

I'll take Juiston's body of work over a measley few games playing hurt. He is a monster.

Blair is supplemental. Can put up numbers and help in many areas.

Hardy is a monster. He's only getting better. Diong's injury set him back a bit, but he has a high ceiling based on his yearly progression.

I saw Ntwambe live at Illinois when he blew up. He's the real deal. Definitely is not overrated. He's motor and confidence...and a freshman. 19 games since Illinois. Averaging 15.2 since. Only single digit scoring in 4 of 19 games. Against AFA/UNM/Boise/Reno...3 of those games we won. 2 of those games he played less than 10 mins total.

JTT is a man freshman.

Teams need role players. Woodbury has possibly. He's got 3 more years  to get it. Clyburn is night and day since his 1st day in the Mack.

Continuity. Experience. It's what we should want. We got it.

Just curious...do you guys have a UNLV forum you can talk about this daily bullshit on?  33 pages?  You would think it was Duke or Kansas you are talking about!!  UNLV is a has been, your glory days are behind you just like 98% of the mid majors in the country.  Just enjoy your basketball team for what is is, good some years and bad others.  Why don't you guys try an up and coming asst. coach instead of hiring retreads all the time?  How has that worked out for you?   Nothing against UNLV, just tired of hearing the same ol bullshit out of you guys!!   

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

4 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

Just curious...do you guys have a UNLV forum you can talk about this daily bullshit on?  33 pages?  You would think it was Duke or Kansas you are talking about!!  UNLV is a has been, your glory days are behind you just like 98% of the mid majors in the country.  Just enjoy your basketball team for what is is, good some years and bad others.  Why don't you guys try an up and coming asst. coach instead of hiring retreads all the time?  How has that worked out for you?   Nothing against UNLV, just tired of hearing the same ol bullshit out of you guys!!   

You think UNLV runs this now. Just wait until they start being good again.

Our last hire was an upcoming assistant. How has that worked out for us?

You're tired, but also uninformed. Just don't click on the thread.

4 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

Simple solution...just don't click on UNLV threads. I don't click on Fresno's, unless they're playing UNLV. And fwiw, I don't care how many threads Fresno has.

5 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

Don't click on the thread, cupcake.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

??????

95% Menzies is back.

During the cbi, why not? Hamilton could still play a lot more, get Woodbury, Beck and Coleman out there. Im realistic. I know its not going to happen, but the rationale is obvious. The sr will not be back.

The back court coming in is a high caliber ncaa tournament back court. Just maybe not year one. Marvin will be forced to play all underclassmen next season, so im not too worried about it. Only Amauri and Jay Green have tenure.

The question will change next year to can MM coach up a very young team and get them playing high level bball sooner rather than later. Marv could have gotten a head start on the process this year, but he cheated the process and just talked about youth. 

I dont even care who plays in the backcourt next year because they will all be young guys he brought in as a result of years of recruiting.

No more excuses. That is if he is not fired; which remains to be seen.

56 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

He’s right you guys. Everyone knows the MWC board is for discussing BYU 

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Or it's a basketball coach with a ton of young guys who are the core for the next few years and want that extended season to continue the growth...basically what the CBI is for.

Let’s not forget that last season, Menzies turned down the cbi and DRF said that Menzies doesn’t think it helps the program and it was completely up to Marv to play in the CBI. 

Now that the season is wrapping up and rumors are rampant, Marv apparently has a change of heart about the CBI. 

56 minutes ago, qwelish said:

The back court coming in is a high caliber ncaa tournament back court. Just maybe not year one. Marvin will be forced to play all underclassmen next season, so im not too worried about it. Only Amauri and Jay Green have tenure.

Might very well be true but I would be verrry hesitant anointing any newcomers "high calibur ncaa tournament backcourt" before they play a minute.

Same mistake the Rice cultists made every year when automatically annointing McD AA's saviors before they step foot on court together. A lot of variables have to come into place to even thinķ about a statement like that. UNLV fans should know that better than anyone.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

During the cbi, why not? Hamilton could still play a lot more, get Woodbury, Beck and Coleman out there. Im realistic. I know its not going to happen, but the rationale is obvious. The sr will not be back.

The question will change next year to can MM coach up a very young team and get them playing high level bball sooner rather than later. Marv could have gotten a head start on the process this year, but he cheated the process and just talked about youth. 

I dont even care who plays in the backcourt next year because they will all be young guys he brought in as a result of years of recruiting.

No more excuses. That is if he is not fired; which remains to be seen.

Beck is as good as gone, IMO.

Coleman isn't getting much run here the next few years.

Hardy is the main dude. You'll probably see Ntwambe and Hamilton running alongside him. With freshmen backing up Hardy. Too early to tell.

Next year he has solid mix of seniors/juniors/sophomores with many having solid experience. It's not like this year.

55 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Let’s not forget that last season, Menzies turned down the cbi and DRF said that Menzies doesn’t think it helps the program and it was completely up to Marv to play in the CBI. 

Now that the season is wrapping up and rumors are rampant, Marv apparently has a change of heart about the CBI. 

The top 4 were all said to be gone. I didn't see it benefiting the team either.

This year I do though.

52 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Might very well be true but I would be verrry hesitant anointing any newcomers "high calibur ncaa tournament backcourt" before they play a minute.

Same mistake the Rice cultists made every year when automatically annointing McD AA's saviors before they step foot on court together. A lot of variables have to come into place to even thinķ about a statement like that. UNLV fans should know that better than anyone.

It might be moot if they dont make it here, but I stand by my statements that Ethan and JPL are solid ncaa level guards. 

Josh's brother starts at Temple this year and they are good. Ethan is coming from Fairfax. He will be good 100%. Bellifield, Ian Baker, Ethan, all similar ranked and size from similar hs level programs. 

The back court will be good and deep next year if they end up at UNLV. Only Hardy and Hamilton will have played any college minutes so theres an experience issue. But it leaves a large block of minutes for Jay Green, Woodbury, JPL and Anderson to split. Soeone will be left out, but both freshmen probably play next year.

Forget basketball. Just compare the size, body build, leaping ability of JPL and Ethan to Noah and Amauri. These are huge athletic upgrades.

A blind person could see that. B)

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Forget basketball. Just compare the size, body build, leaping ability of JPL and Ethan to Noah and Amauri. These are huge athletic upgrades.

A blind person could see that. B)

With Keon Clark and Shawn Marion, UNLV was a no-doubt NCAA team (that finished 16-13).

Marcus Banks and later the 3 B's were going to make UNLV invincible under Spoon.

Kruger was going to do better with the 3 B's and later Beas Hamga. Funny thing is Kruger did his best without many hotshot recruits.

Don't need to reiterate all the 5 star McD's AA's that were undoubtedly going to make the Rebels invincible under Rice.

I've heard it so many times through the years from Rebel fans that I now know to wait to see how they do on the court.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

3 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

With Keon Clark and Shawn Marion, UNLV was a no-doubt NCAA team (that finished 16-13).

Marcus Banks and later the 3 B's were going to make UNLV invincible under Spoon.

Kruger was going to do better with the 3 B's and later Beas Hamga. Funny thing is Kruger did his best without many hotshot recruits.

Don't need to reiterate all the 5 star McD's AA's that were undoubtedly going to make the Rebels invincible under Rice.

I've heard it so many times through the years from Rebel fans that I now know to wait to see how they do on the court.

The problem is this isnt Dave Rice. So your referring everything back to Dave Rice is not even valid. 

Rices teams started out good, then got worse each year. Menzies mwc record has gotten better. There are zero mcds aa players on this roster or coming in. Menzies is about to win more games than Rice did with a pg who wasnt even good enough to be recruited by Dave Rice. 

Soapbox all you want, but the last time UNLV had a pg like Ethan was under Kruger. The last time unlv had a team full of returning underclassmen players was also under Lon.  The last time MM had a pg as good as Ethan, Ian Baker, he spent those years going to ncaa tournaments.

There is reason to be excited about the direction of the program even if you and others here want to mire in negativity. So I can easily just ignore you telling me not to be.

Not only that, but I clearly said that they probably wont be as good as they can be in year one. These are both relatively middle of the field ranked recruits not mcd AA.

What is this nonsense youre going on about saviors? I never said that, you said that.

I just want to see what MM does with his own young backcourt recuits. Whats wrong with that?