Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

13 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Not even talking about the Tark era... the Bayno, Spoon and Kruger eras we were consistently ranked 20-60 and in at-large consideration almost every year, and Rebel fans used to always whine about how bad that was.  As the saying goes you never realize how good you had it until it's gone.

It's a disgrace how far the program has fallen since then. Kruger era was not that long ago although it feels like ages; we should never accept less than that standard!!!  F Rice and to hell with Marvelously Mediocre Marv!!!!!!

A few notes for perspective:

Barring a miracle run in the MWC tournament since 73-74 this would tie 92-97 and 01-06 as the longest stretch without an NCAA tournament appearance.  The other two times season seven brought an appearance.  Odds it happens again next season?

In terms of winning percentage over five year periods since 73-74; if the current winning percentage holds (or its gets worse) it would be the worst five year stretch over that 40+ year time frame.

Bad times indeed.

12 hours ago, ph90702 said:

It’s a process.  Marvelous Marvin Menzies will be back next year.   Even with today’s loss, we will finish in the top five. 

Unless Menzies does the impossible and wins the MWCT, it’s a ham sandwich and a road map for him when the season ends

1 hour ago, rebelcuff said:

When would it be ok to fire Menzies in your opinion? Barely above 500 with this schedule is atrocious.

If we are in the same situation two years from now.  If he can’t do better than now with a roster of juniors and seniors, then it’s time. I don’t think that will be an issue though.  He’ll have seniors in Hardy and Diong and juniors in Ntambwe, Hamilton, and Tchamwa Tchatchoua.  He’d also have a sophomore Ethan Anderson.

49 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

If we are in the same situation two years from now.  If he can’t do better than now with a roster of juniors and seniors, then it’s time. I don’t think that will be an issue though.  He’ll have seniors in Hardy and Diong and juniors in Ntambwe, Hamilton, and Tchamwa Tchatchoua.  He’d also have a sophomore Ethan Anderson.

"Doing better than now" is setting the bar reallllllly low.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

I think the odds of Menzies being back next year are going down each week. If he was DRF's hire his odds of returning would be much greater. As I said before, IF he is back next year he will have to get the Rebels into the tourney, there's no way he gets to year 5 without it. I suspect he'll be gone after this year though.

So trying to find 1 gem in this steaming pile of shit is all that Marv needs to retain his job and get a $100,000 raise?

No, finishing 4th or 5th doesn't move the needle on what is right now the worst coaching record...EVER at UNLV. The number of losses is disturbing but the magnitude of the losses is disgraceful. 

Go-ahead and try to come up with a reason that Marv should be retained and there are 4 or 5 times the amount of reasons why he should be let go. Sticking with a coach that has proven to be incapable is far worse and detrimental to the program than about every other option. The MWC is wayyyyyy down this year and Marv has already been handed 5 blowout losses. This one year he has equaled the number of blowout losses of the past 3 coaches over a 15 year period. This isn't a little failing, it is failing at proportions never, ever to have been seen at UNLV. Accepting failure of this proportion is akin to expecting the MWC just pass out participation trophies at the end of the season.

I have been a season ticket holder since the 1st game was played in the T&M. That will come to an end if the university just gives up on this program. Retaining Marv and giving him a raise is without a doubt "Just giving up on the Runnin' Rebels".  Retaining Marv will go to prove the level of incompetence of the UNLV Administration and Athletic Department as well.

27 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

I think the odds of Menzies being back next year are going down each week. If he was DRF's hire his odds of returning would be much greater. As I said before, IF he is back next year he will have to get the Rebels into the tourney, there's no way he gets to year 5 without it. I suspect he'll be gone after this year though.

Putting an ultimatum on Marv to make the Dance next year to keep his job would be like telling NASA that they need to land a man on Saturn next year to keep funding. What is the point? Maybe trying to put forth the illusion that something would change but that is absurd. Trying to double down on a very bad hire will only tend to further injure a program already on life support. If the object is to kill MBB at UNLV then the Administration is certainly succeeding. Once you drive people away in this manner they won't be thinking about or looking at this program for years to come and then more years after that before they think about spending money.  I've been going to games in the T&M for decades and what is occurring right now  is drop dead serious. I never missed games in the past 30+ years. When I miss them now my only thought is that it was a waste of money to buy the tickets in the first place.

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

"Doing better than now" is setting the bar reallllllly low.

Quit trying to cheat the f-ckin’ process!  Every day is a f-ckin’ grind.  And life’s a sinch when you take it inch by f-ckin’ inch!

On a side note, I love how people think that saying something over and over will make it happen.  Menzies is likely to finish fourth this year.  Firing him would give the impression to head coaches outside of our program that we’re delusional (we already are).

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

24 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Quit trying to cheat the f-ckin’ process!  Every day is a f-ckin’ grind.  And life’s a sinch when you take it inch by f-ckin’ inch!

On a side note, I love how people think that saying something over and over will make it happen.  Menzies is likely to finish fourth this year.  Firing him would give the impression to head coaches outside of our program that we’re delusional (we already are).

So let me get this straight... according to you, if Marv's UNLV team is "doing better" than our current 12-11 nightmare team that repeatedly gets blown to smithereens vs. Weak MWC competition, that would be a job well done. 

After 5 full years!

You embrace mediocrity with enthusiasm unlike anyone ive seen!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

27 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

On a side note, I love how people think that saying something over and over will make it happen.  Menzies is likely to finish fourth this year.  Firing him would give the impression to head coaches outside of our program that we’re delusional (we already are)

How is finishing in the top 5 in this conference is anything to brag about ?the article in the rj was written for a reason. I do know that boosters are not pleased.

1 minute ago, VincentVegaBond said:

So let me get this straight... according to you, if Marv's UNLV team is "doing better" than our current 12-11 nightmare team that repeatedly gets blown to smithereens vs. Weak MWC competition, that would be a job well done. 

After 5 full years!

You sound mad 💩. Are you okay 💩?

The competition isn’t garbage.  Three of the losses were to top 60 teams.  We are project to finish 4-5 in the MW.

I think that we should at least make the NIT next year.  This team should be much better.

By year five, I think we will be top 25 and in the NCAAs.

FTR, I want Sanchez gone in football.  I think I’ve made that clear.

4 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

After 5 full years!

He just can't admit he was wrong. It's a show of his intelligence.

Just now, rebelcuff said:

How is finishing in the top 5 in this conference is anything to brag about ?the article in the rj was written for a reason. I do know that boosters are not pleased.

I don’t really care if they’re not pleased.  I’m sure a lot of them weren’t pleased with Tony Sanchez.  Yet he’s back, and we are due for another 4-8 season with excuses from Joe Arrigo, the Sanchez apologist who blocked me on Twitter.

I finally get it!

You know when you are watching a bad movie, after a while you just change the channel. Then there is the time when you are watching an incredibly terrible movie and you sit there and watch the whole thing because you tell yourself that it just has to get better.

That is why people engage PH. I've been sucked into it twice myself.