Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

Yes.

MWC isn't all that great.

I'm not 100% sold on him elevating this program to its best state since Tark, but I do think he can lead us back to the Kruger days of consistently top 3 in the MWC. Which would damn near be a miracle considering the failed Rice project.

I see this team being preseason top 3 next year and every year after that. The roster says it all and I think the team continues to progress this season.

Maybe don't even have to wait that long.

Outside of Reno, nobody is really a clear cut 2nd place this year. Fresno looks like the favorites with all that experience Hutson was left with. Utah State is looking solid, but they also got manhandled by BYU from the start...who UNLV just beat. Seems like SDSU has lost that vintage Steve Fisher consistency. We'll see if Bragg is the answer to New Mexico's woes. I'm not sure UNLV's young players can be consistent enough in the MWC grind this year, but I don't look at any of these matchups and automatically count them as L's.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

21 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Yes.

MWC isn't all that great.

I'm not 100% sold on him elevating this program to its best state since Tark, but I do think he can lead us back to the Kruger days of consistently top 3 in the MWC. Which would damn near be a miracle considering the failed Rice project.

I see this team being preseason top 3 next year and every year after that. The roster says it all and I think the team continues to progress this season.

Maybe don't even have to wait that long.

Outside of Reno, nobody is really a clear cut 2nd place this year. Fresno looks like the favorites with all that experience Hutson was left with. Utah State is looking solid, but they also got manhandled by BYU from the start...who UNLV just beat. Seems like SDSU has lost that vintage Steve Fisher consistency. We'll see if Bragg is the answer to New Mexico's woes. I'm not sure UNLV's young players can be consistent enough in the MWC grind this year, but I don't look at any of these matchups and automatically count them as L's.

I'm encouraged by several recent events; first of all his benching Beck, and tinkering with the lineup when it was obvious it wasn't working before.

The team's fight in recent games; even though they lost vs. Cincy and Illinois they never gave up and fought till the end, and of course the BYU game.  

Improved FT shooting, at least temporarily.

Marv's ability to not settle for the status quo regarding lineups and minutes.

A few of the newcomers and guys who haven't played much to date look like they could make a positive impact.

Not impossible for Marv to turn the corner!!  :D

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

I cant give Marv credit for the line up change. Juis did get hurt. I will give him credit for moving Robotham off the ball to sg, in favor of Amauri. 

I still contend that ft shooting is on players, not coaching. It was a mixed bag on out of timeout calls, but he cleaned up the defense in the 1st half after a timeout real nice and of course the final timeout play game winner. 

Defense year to year has seen a big jump and looks like that will continue with the guys coming in. Theres no doubt this team has improved from exhibition to now, but the scout that mwc coaches employ vs your team tells all! This mwc season will tell us a ton about Marvs coaching.

5 hours ago, utenation said:

I’m wondering if @BSUTOP25 has some new insight on this?

I mean if the first 400 threads on this topic this year aren’t enough, keep trying until you get the correct answer I guess.

Maybe these threads can be combined with the 600 fire the UNLV coach threads?

And why are you here in the MWC forum?

Marv isn't going anywhere. If he continues to build the foundation he will get the remaining years of his contract. Somewhere along the line though the "be patient and wait until next year" rational will start to get tiring. He has the talent to accomplish everything he and the fans want right now. What he can accomplish with that talent is entirely on him as a teacher and coach. 

** I posted this in another thread but it is more relevant here.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Marv isn't going anywhere. If he continues to build the foundation he will get the remaining years of his contract. Somewhere along the line though the "be patient and wait until next year" rational will start to get tiring. He has the talent to accomplish everything he and the fans want right now. What he can accomplish with that talent is entirely on him as a teacher and coach. 

** I posted this in another thread but it is more relevant here.

"Wait 'till next year," has been the mantra of Vegas fans every year since I joined this board.  I don't expect next year to be any different. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

When was the last time we had continuity?

You had Rice for 5 years.  That was an error you should have corrected by year 3. 

You appear to be making the same mistake. 

There is a reason no one else on the planet wanted Marvin Menzies to be their next coach.

Barack Obama

51 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You had Rice for 5 years.  That was an error you should have corrected by year 3. 

You appear to be making the same mistake. 

There is a reason no one else on the planet wanted Marvin Menzies to be their next coach.

How do you know that?  Marvin Menzies was a head coach before New Mexico State.

If Menzies is fired, it would be somebody like Pastercrook.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

How do you know that?  Marvin Menzies was a head coach before New Mexico State.

If Menzies is fired, it would be somebody like Pastercrook.

I've seen Marvin since his first year at NMSU.

He's a good coach at a low mid major or a good asst at an upper level program.

I'd say the same about Dave Rice and David Carter.

If he stays long term, he may have the occasional good year, but that's probably his ceiling.  He's not going to take you on a run in The Dance.

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I've seen Marvin since his first year at NMSU.

He's a good coach at a low mid major or a good asst at an upper level program.

I'd say the same about Dave Rice and David Carter.

If he stays long term, he may have the occasional good year, but that's probably his ceiling.  He's not going to take you on a run in The Dance.

That's the way I see it as well.