Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

29 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Next 2 weeks wont determine it.

DRF already understands his mission. Shes been spreading the 8 of 11 scholarships being underclassmen everytime she touches a radio show.

Menzies gets to 20+ wins and maybe a semifinal shot at MWCT this season.

Finishing top 5 in conferencr. Doing that with young guys and losing his best player to injury.

Juiston, the incoming freshmen, the returners who are killing it this year all back next year.

Add in were still paying Rice. Would have to pay Marv...and then still fork out for new coach... not happening. 

Hes locked in for 4 and probably even 5 barring an epic collapse. People just gotta open their mind and hope for the best instead of being cancers and already determining he cant coach.

I mean Paul Weir this time last year was a God. Amazing what a PG and shooting can do for a coach.....

Looking at your schedule, I don't see how you get to 20 wins.  If he finishes with a losing record, does he still get another year?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

20 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Looking at your schedule, I don't see how you get to 20 wins.  If he finishes with a losing record, does he still get another year?

For some reason I thought we were at 14-11. Must be tired.

Gets to 20 wins by 7-5 over last 12 and then 2 wins in MWCT.

Kenpom has unlv 6-6 last 12. That would mean 17-13.

SDSU twice. WYO, SJSU, CSU again. AFA. Boise twice. Fresno at home.

Reno twice and then USU.

I can see at least 5 wins there. Possibly 6 or 7.

He have to win only 4 and lose 1st game of MWCT to finish below .500

And even then, yes. He does. For factors above. Money and returners.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Well the first 6 games are over and it wasn't much of a test to see where UNLV is as a team this year. The serious challenge started with the game at SDSU and it showed that while we have talent on this squad there isn't much in the way of team play or leadership from the staff. SDSU came out and showed their hand and the coaching staff became spectators. Kind of like passengers in a car that goes over a cliff, nothing to do but ride it out until impact.  The team was ill prepared  nothing was done during the game to correct.  Defense was nonexistent in this game and too many others times over the past few years. Sad...

On 1/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

From what I recall, Grg quit early in his first season, Billy Bayno got canned midway thru the season, Spoon "retired" under heavy pressure, and of course Rice got himself canned 3 games into MW play.

That's 4 of the last 5 full-time UNLV coaches to not make it through their final season, which is downright strange.

And it's always worked out really well . . .

From my admittedly far away perspective, a bigger problem for your basketball program than mediocre coaches has been miserable athletic directors.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I sense that among the problems with the current SDSU team is lack of cohesiveness. Maybe Menzies has a similar problem and should be cut some slack for having inherited guys like Clyburn. Clyburbn might be the leading scorer this year but do you really want seniors who rather than looking in the mirror for why their team lost just bitch about an opposing player taking a bush league shot?

Clyburn's stats on Saturday night: Six points, four rebounds and one assist in 25 minutes. A triple single while going 1-5 from behind the arc when the rest of the team made half of their treys.

Definitely the mark of a true leader. Addition by subtraction after this season perhaps?

Boom goes the dynamite.

25 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

And it's always worked out really well . . .

From my admittedly far away perspective, a bigger problem for your basketball program than mediocre coaches has been miserable athletic directors.

Too early to say but I think DRF is a good one since she’s been a stabilizing force at UNLV so far.

However if she gives Menzies another year out of pity and not focused on building a terrific basketball program then it’s probably permanent that UNLV will be a mediocre program. The amount of resources available for basketball is more than most programs but it’s .500 win program. 

This year looks much like last year. Just going through the season without any expectations or hope for anything other than the games on the schedule and then of course the wait until next year scenario to play out. This year even started with more talk about next year than this year which says a lot about the state of the program. Marv has built another mediocre middle of the pack program. 

If we keep doing what we're doing we'll keep getting what we're getting... 

I am more impressed with Marv's halftime adjustments this season than I have been previously. The flip side of that though is he has needed it because the game prep has been atrocious (AFA). We were out talented by SDSU and UNR, and both show just how far off we are in competing against top level talent. Even with a healthy Diong and Juiston I don't think it is close against those two.

Bottom line, though I may have changed my tune on some of his weaknesses, I still don't think Marv will get us there. That said I have zero belief in any rumors of "pot 'o' gold" boosters forking over two coaches buyouts and a monster salary for a replacement. Marv will be back next year to lessen the buyout and get Rice off the books, and likely gone after next year, at which point we will probably be shopping the retread market in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough ala Muss/Kruger type NBA washouts that we can get on the cheap(ish).

15 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I am more impressed with Marv's halftime adjustments this season than I have been previously. The flip side of that though is he has needed it because the game prep has been atrocious (AFA). We were out talented by SDSU and UNR, and both show just how far off we are in competing against top level talent. Even with a healthy Diong and Juiston I don't think it is close against those two.

Bottom line, though I may have changed my tune on some of his weaknesses, I still don't think Marv will get us there. That said I have zero belief in any rumors of "pot 'o' gold" boosters forking over two coaches buyouts and a monster salary for a replacement. Marv will be back next year to lessen the buyout and get Rice off the books, and likely gone after next year, at which point we will probably be shopping the retread market in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough ala Muss/Kruger type NBA washouts that we can get on the cheap(ish).

What i'm wondering is, with his lineups he has been more or less forced to play a certain way due to injuries (more small ball). The small ball worked well against New Mexico. Would those two games be wins if we still had at least Diong and Dembele still playing at the time? Diong got hurt 1st half of UNM game. We were down 7 at the half and Diong didn't come back in the 2nd half, so Menzies was forced to go small. 

If Menzies had it his way (without injuries) we would still probably be playing the bigs and trying to brute around in games. Menzies is being credited for the line ups (in the games we won), but he was more or less forced into those line ups due to injuries. 

Either way, I feel that the injury excuse is going to be used. Menzies will be kept on for another year. We will have another trash OOC schedule (in hopes to achieve that 20 win mark). We will continue to struggle in MWC play (will be a little better than this year). And then you'll get the same people (PH) calling for an additional year, using the same excuses of, "just wait til next year," "we will be more experienced," "we will have more talent," "we are going to be rid of the bum older players," etc. 

And round and round we go. 

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I believe we aren’t cutting checks to Rice, he’s been paid the remainder of his base salary on his contract.  That’s not a factor and UNLV offered significant contracts to several coaches. I think Cronin was around 3 million with Under Armour chipping in. 

UNLV also needs to negotiate a new apparel deal in a couple months with an apparel company. That could get impact the basketball program hire and the fact UNLV is moving into the Raider stadium. Basically it’ll be Under Armour vs Nike.   

35 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I believe we aren’t cutting checks to Rice, he’s been paid the remainder of his base salary on his contract.  That’s not a factor and UNLV offered significant contracts to several coaches. I think Cronin was around 3 million with Under Armour chipping in. 

UNLV also needs to negotiate a new apparel deal in a couple months with an apparel company. That could get impact the basketball program hire and the fact UNLV is moving into the Raider stadium. Basically it’ll be Under Armour vs Nike.   

And how long was Cronin a coach under contract? It's just monopoly money. We never saw a dime of it. We never see a dime of any of it, it's just all rumors.

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

And how long was Cronin a coach under contract? It's just monopoly money. We never saw a dime of it. We never see a dime of any of it, it's just all rumors.

Do you think Cronin would fly to Vegas if there wasn’t money on the table? 

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

That’s not what I asked. 

All I am saying is we have had enough rumored booster and shoe money to pay Coach K and Cal thru the years. But none of it ever hit UNLV's bank account.

I don't know how legitimate the rumors were and I don't care. It's all meaningless really, at least until it actually results in a coach under contract.

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

All I am saying is we have had enough rumored booster and shoe money to pay Coach K and Cal thru the years. But none of it ever hit UNLV's bank account.

I don't know how legitimate the rumors were and I don't care. It's all meaningless really, at least until it actually results in a coach under contract.

In that sense, I agree. If you can’t close the deal, then proposals etc doesn’t mean jack shit.

There was an opportunity with Cronin and it was bungled. How many times have we watched UNLV bungle it? Pitino’s wife at the airport fiasco, refused to give Kruger a raise etc.

12 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

So assuming the season goes the way we all expect it to go, what do you think the odds are that UNLV will go in a new direction and what direction will that be, Pitino, ex-NBA coach?  

Ernie Baer who is obviously very well-connected has said chances of Mediocre Marv being back next year are very good, barring a total collapse.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Ernie Baer who is obviously very well-connected has said chances of Mediocre Marv being back next year are very good, barring a total collapse.

I didn’t notice the kids quitting like they have been.   If they continue to quit I think he is gone.  If they keep playing hard he stays.