Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

I was told today by a connected individual to all things UNLV, that “the wheels are in motion” to find Menzies replacement at the conclusion of the season. 

He won’t be back next season. 

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I heard that as well. 

There are grumblings, of course. The names ive heard are, meh. 

It doesn't matter if Menzies is back or not until they nail the hire.

Lon's teams were uninspiring up until the S16 season. I didn't see anyone saying that was a S16 team on paper in the preseason. There was a lot of grumbling before that season too.

I expect several more blow out losses. And i'm still not the least bit shocked if Marvin is back next year.

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I’ve been watching a lot of CBB this year and made note of a couple of current head coaches in the country who would be tremendous in Las Vegas. 

Haha.. Come on man. Im sure Desiree and Marta will get right on those notes of yours.

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I was told today by a connected individual to all things UNLV, that “the wheels are in motion” to find Menzies replacement at the conclusion of the season. 

He won’t be back next season. 

If they really do get rid of Mediocre Marv, they MUST hit a home run with the next HC. Every terrible hire digs us deeper into the abyss and makes it that much harder to get out of.

Time for DRF to show her worth.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

There are grumblings, of course. The names ive heard are, meh. 

The only name that has been discussed was Pitino and there were potential contract parameters discussed. UNLV is prepared to buy out Menzies and pay Pitino north of 3 million annually. The money is there. 

I haven’t heard any other coaches at the moment, but it’s early. Should Pitino spurn UNLV again and given that there was a green light to go get Cronin in the last go around, I would expect something similar to happen where we go and poach a quality coach. 

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Haha.. Come on man. Im sure Desiree and Marta will get right on those notes of yours.

It’s not for them, it’s just for my own amusement really so I can enjoy CBB in some way since UNLV has zero shot at a postseason. 

7 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

From what I recall, Grg quit early in his first season, Billy Bayno got canned midway thru the season, Spoon "retired" under heavy pressure, and of course Rice got himself canned 3 games into MW play.

That's 4 of the last 5 full-time UNLV coaches to not make it through their final season, which is downright strange.

And really stupid.

6 hours ago, qwelish said:

All I did was state my opinions of what was going on and this guy calls me a clown out of nowhere. And now youre all self righteous because I went back at him?

Sure guy.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch. 

6 hours ago, qwelish said:

But you say nothing to the guy who called me a clown before I lit into him. Yeah, okay.

I didn't insult you at all. Why get all bent out of shape about it just because I noticed?

Youre being a bit sensitive if youre going to engage just as much as everyone else in leveling insults on here.

Which you do.

Says the guy who is all over the place. lul. 

4 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

The only name that has been discussed was Pitino and there were potential contract parameters discussed. UNLV is prepared to buy out Menzies and pay Pitino north of 3 million annually. The money is there. 

I haven’t heard any other coaches at the moment, but it’s early. Should Pitino spurn UNLV again and given that there was a green light to go get Cronin in the last go around, I would expect something similar to happen where we go and poach a quality coach. 

Not what ive heard at all. Hope youre right because might as well keep Menzies with some names mentioned to me.

28 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

Can you say the names you've heard?

Pitino is the only name bandied about. 

Alford hasn’t been on anyone’s radar, my guess is he’s going to the Midwest. He’s burned plenty of bridges in the West with regards to recruiting.  

17 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Pitino is the only name bandied about. 

Alford hasn’t been on anyone’s radar, my guess is he’s going to the Midwest. He’s burned plenty of bridges in the West with regards to recruiting.  

There are a few coaches throwing their names and interest at UNLV. There is blood in the water and there are some influential people who are pissed.

Not sure who youre talking to, but there is some concern about getting Pitino in. I know one person is pushing Pitino, money is a non-issue. But I dont know what is being said about Rick internally at UNLV. I believe that matters.

DRF is not as much in control as some here think. From what I can tell so far she is in over her head, but at least she seems to know how to keep her mouth shut.

7 minutes ago, qwelish said:

There are a few coaches throwing their names and interest at UNLV. There is blood in the water and there are some influential people who are pissed.

Not sure who youre talking to, but there is some concern about getting Pitino in. I who one person is pushing Pitino, money is a non-issue. But I dont know what is being said about Rick internally at UNLV. I believe that matters.

DRF is not as much in control as some here think. From what I can tell so far she is in over her head, but at least she seems to know how to keep her mouth shut.

The back channels discussion with Pitino have been going on for years. It’s serious but I am not aware of any other guy that’s being taken seriously at the moment. 

DRF is aware of what’s going on and keeping all options on the table. Like any good lawyer would do (she’s got a law background). 

The way she handled the Pitino question on the radio was pretty slick. Total contrast to TKM who probably would have had some panicked word salad answer about how Menzies is the coach and there’s no interest in Pitino. Basically telegraphing that she’s full of shit.

28 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The back channels discussion with Pitino have been going on for years. It’s serious but I am not aware of any other guy that’s being taken seriously at the moment. 

DRF is aware of what’s going on and keeping all options on the table. Like any good lawyer would do (she’s got a law background). 

The way she handled the Pitino question on the radio was pretty slick. Total contrast to TKM who probably would have had some panicked word salad answer about how Menzies is the coach and there’s no interest in Pitino. Basically telegraphing that she’s full of shit.

So, the table thing. Im not sure she's anything but a pawn on that table based on the way some previous large items have already played out.

The radio thing, that's sort of what I was talking about regarding keeping her mouth shut. As well as that previous thing. 

The way I view it is that UCLA nixing Pitino early is gold for UNLV if they decide to move. I know there's been dialogue, but I cannot speak to any deals being done, or contracts being negotiated. That's why i'm saying I hope you are right. The things released publicly are in line with what I know about the situation and what youre saying. That's why I feel that it has legs and don't just dismiss it.

The main problems I have are that DRF and Pitino are chummy with Menzies. DRF has been very supportive and has also made excuses for Marvin's performance. Many of the same reasonable ones I and others have made. The fire to get rid of Menzies and go in another direction is not necessarily coming from within UNLV. Being pushed to make a move with Menzies may not necessarily work based on that happening the last time, and the leverage maybe not quite being there for boosters like it was with the Sanchez situation. But I cannot know everything.

So how do boosters push the administration to make the Pitino move? And if the push is for Pitino only, as you say, if that gets nixed they may not make a move at all. I do know there are some influential boosters who want to make a move no matter what, and they are not considering Pitino as a viable hire. Thats where the other names are coming from. Just to hash out exactly what I mean. 

#Please screenshot this or save it and others please do not misconstrue what I am saying here#

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, qwelish said:

So, the table thing. Im not sure she's anything but a pawn on that table based on the way some previous large items have already played out.

The radio thing, that's sort of what I was talking about regarding keeping her mouth shut. As well as that previous thing. 

The way I view it is that UCLA nixing Pitino early is gold for UNLV if they decide to move. I know there's been dialogue, but I cannot speak to any deals being done, or contracts being negotiated. That's why i'm saying I hope you are right. The things released publicly are in line with what I know about the situation and what youre saying. That's why I feel that it has legs and don't just dismiss it.

The main problems I have are that DRF and Pitino are chummy with Menzies. DRF has been very supportive and has also made excuses for Marvin's performance. Many of the same reasonable ones I and others have made. The fire to get rid of Menzies and go in another direction is not necessarily coming from within UNLV. Being pushed to make a move with Menzies may not necessarily work based on that happening the last time, and the leverage maybe not quite being there for boosters like it was with the Sanchez situation. But I cannot know everything.

So how do boosters push the administration to make the Pitino move? And if the push is for Pitino only, as you say, if that gets nixed they may not make a move at all. I do know there are some influential boosters who want to make a move no matter what, and they are not considering Pitino as a viable hire. Thats where the other names are coming from. Just to hash out exactly what I mean. 

#Please screenshot this or save it and others please do not misconstrue what I am saying here#

Thanks!

Sorry but that’s just a bunch of word salad and rambling. 

No different than last time when it appeared Rice didn’t have it, many of the boosters want a veteran hand in the job and opposed to an up and comer or hot shot assistant.

Pitino certainly has some backing and again, there has been a push for him since the Valpo loss.  Still have a difficult time envisioning UNLV’s administration which has been reluctant to get under the NCAA’s eyes for some time now signing off.  Think they join Sienna and Rhode Island from last year and pass on him.

I have heard Alford’s name in connection with job.  I don’t think too many fans would be overly excited but it is an easier sell for the administration.  Veteran coach who has been around, had some success, knows the conference, no NCAA issues.

There are some pushing for Buzz Williams given Desiree’s relationship with him.  Not impossible, she would have to get some in the community to open their wallets to put a competitive package together for him.    

At some point Buzz has to question what the ceiling is at Virginia Tech.  That is a very difficult league.  As long as Bennett is at UVA they may very well be second banana in their own state much less the conference.

5 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

No different than last time when it appeared Rice didn’t have it, many of the boosters want a veteran hand in the job and opposed to an up and comer or hot shot assistant.

Pitino certainly has some backing and again, there has been a push for him since the Valpo loss.  Still have a difficult time envisioning UNLV’s administration which has been reluctant to get under the NCAA’s eyes for some time now signing off.  Think they join Sienna and Rhode Island from last year and pass on him.

I have heard Alford’s name in connection with job.  I don’t think too many fans would be overly excited but it is an easier sell for the administration.  Veteran coach who has been around, had some success, knows the conference, no NCAA issues.

There are some pushing for Buzz Williams given Desiree’s relationship with him.  Not impossible, she would have to get some in the community to open their wallets to put a competitive package together for him.    

At some point Buzz has to question what the ceiling is at Virginia Tech.  That is a very difficult league.  As long as Bennett is at UVA they may very well be second banana in their own state much less the conference.

Ernie, what do you think the chances are that Marv returns next year?

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

54 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Ernie, what do you think the chances are that Marv returns next year?

Right now I say his odds of returning are still good.  We’ll see how things play out over the remainder of the conference season.  He will try to sell the rebuild to the administration and there is a young nucleus in place, plus Juiston returning.  If they can finish pretty good that makes his sell much stronger.

Unless they can rattle off a good number of wins in a row the attendance woes will be there.  If the rest of the season doesn't go well a lot is going to depend on how much money will be there and who they can get to accept.

If he doesn’t finish well and they could get a pretty good name that will be an interesting internal discussion in the administration.  With the attendance problems they probably make a change.

You don’t make the move now to hire say Russell Turner.   

At the beginning of the season I thought Menzies chances of coming back next year were very good, but with the way this season has gone so far, I'm doubting it more and more everyday. Its very possible UNLV could be 5-6 or even 4-7 after 11 games, if that happens its gonna get ugly and I would guess that would be the end of Marv's chances for another year. As Ernie said, the attendance problems have me leaning towards no chance he comes back.

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Sorry but that’s just a bunch of word salad and rambling. 

Bs. Its a lot more than youre saying; Which is only whats already been made public. What I said is not.

But thats fine. Youre not saying anything that wasnt on twitter.