Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

21 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Sadly, that's about the best you can hope for.  But it sure is a lot better than having to fire another guy who couldn't get the job done. 

Sadly, UNR troll is comparing his programs never did anything history to ours. The best UNLV fan can hope for is another Final Four weekend. The best Adipshitwhiteguy can hope for is another swing ride on Rebel nuts.

27 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He will leave when the first decent P5 calls. 

Honestly, I have my doubts he'll be much better than your last two, but I hope I'm wrong. 

The guy doesn't like defense. 

Surprisingly, the guys he's signed so far have both been advertised as above average defensive players. 

I believe in defense, but im not of the mindset that every player on the floor needs to be a stopper. 

You need to score. I think Totz offense and defense lite go over well in Vegas if he wins. 

32 minutes ago, renoskier said:

That's okay, many UNLV fans don't care much about defense either.

Just winning isn't enough, it has to be fast and pretty also.

Nah.,. Tarkanian’s teams played such good defense the other team couldn’t get the ball up the court. Created a lot of fast breaks. That’s what we want. :)

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Nah.,. Tarkanian’s teams played such good defense the other team couldn’t get the ball up the court. Created a lot of fast breaks. That’s what we want. :)

Greedy Daniels, Marcus Banks, Dedan Thomas, Mark Wade, Greg Anthony

But hey, there was that Kevin Kruger S16 too. So I guesss Defense isnt everything.

23 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Greedy Daniels, Marcus Banks, Dedan Thomas, Mark Wade, Greg Anthony

But hey, there was that Kevin Kruger S16 too. So I guesss Defense isnt everything.

No UNLV teams pressed like the 76-77 team 

Don't think Tark zoned much back then - He used the amoeba zone with his later teams but the later teams didn't play full court like the '77 team did 

1 hour ago, Boobie James said:

Sadly, UNR troll is comparing his programs never did anything history to ours. The best UNLV fan can hope for is another Final Four weekend. The best Adipshitwhiteguy can hope for is another swing ride on Rebel nuts.

It's nice you have a great history.  But the truth is you've been bad longer than you were good.   Your NC is so old that it's not a whole lot more relevant in today's world than the NC won by Wyo.  

Other than the Kruger years, it's been chronic suckage at UNLV.  Maybe TJ is the guy who can turn it around, but UNLV's history of hiring coaches makes that unlikely. 

Other than Kruger, has any coach left vegas for a better job?  UNLV has been a coaching graveyard for both major sports for decades.  You aren't even good enough to be a stepping stone program like most decent, mid majors.  

The suggestion of UNLV going to another FF is laughable.  You guys have never even won the MW regular season.  Your superiors in Reno now have the better program and it's been that way for years and there is no signs of that changing.  

But keep harping on that natty you earned during the last century.  We are all very impressed by that. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

The success of the offense will be DIRECTLY related to the quality of the defense. The problem with most coaching strategies based on a tough defense is that they use the defense as a crutch to justify having zero offensive intensity. This shouldn't be one or the other. It should be that the intensity of the offense feeds directly off of the intensity of the defense. 

That is what every UNLV fan has wanted to see for decades now.

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

Surprisingly, the guys he's signed so far have both been advertised as above average defensive players. 

I believe in defense, but im not of the mindset that every player on the floor needs to be a stopper. 

You need to score. I think Totz offense and defense lite go over well in Vegas if he wins. 

All rivalry smack talk aside, I hope TJ gets it done, despite my doubts. 

He's saying all the right things, but they all say the right things when they get a new job. 

Barack Obama

20 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's nice you have a great history.  But the truth is you've been bad longer than you were good.   Your NC is so old that it's not a whole lot more relevant in today's world than the NC won by Wyo.  

Other than the Kruger years, it's been chronic suckage at UNLV.  Maybe TJ is the guy who can turn it around, but UNLV's history of hiring coaches makes that unlikely. 

Other than Kruger, has any coach left vegas for a better job?  UNLV has been a coaching graveyard for both major sports for decades.  You aren't even good enough to be a stepping stone program like most decent, mid majors.  

The suggestion of UNLV going to another FF is laughable.  You guys have never even won the MW regular season.  Your superiors in Reno now have the better program and it's been that way for years and there is no signs of that changing.  

But keep harping on that natty you earned during the last century.  We are all very impressed by that. 

Yes, UNLV has been a loser with one less sweet sixteen appearance since 1991 than Reno, we get it. Know who is else is a loser? You. Your desperate attempts of trolling are terrible. Seriously, let up and go outside. There's a difference between rivalry trolling, which is fine and worthwhile, and being an incessant +++++ing loser like you are. 

There isn't a program in the MWC that really has a proven track record of achievement at this point and moving forward. The programs that have recently been above average can track their above average success to coaches that are no longer coaching here. SDSU is about the most consistent through their coaching change but they aren't that confident in future success. Reno has 4 years of history which just moved to Arkansas. 

This year is totally unknown and up for grabs in MBB which makes for excitement within conference play but not too much elsewhere. It's like a few fleas arguing over who owns the dog. Maybe the possibilities for national notoriety and success is a thing of days gone by or just gone with the P5 money anyway. If Tark is coaching today and making 1.2m does he stay when offered 3 or 4m. If it is 2007 and Fisher is offered 3 times his salary, does he stay. For all of the talk about Muss liking living in Reno he hit the road smiling all the way to the airport. If it wasn't for Mark Few it would be unanimous and Few is probably being compensated as well as most P5 coaches. We are all either stepping stones or will be paying 3 times what we currently pay our conference coaches.

Reality.....what a concept.

14 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Yes, UNLV has been a loser with one less sweet sixteen appearance since 1991 than Reno, we get it. Know who is else is a loser? You. Your desperate attempts of trolling are terrible. Seriously, let up and go outside. There's a difference between rivalry trolling, which is fine and worthwhile, and being an incessant +++++ing loser like you are. 

Hey shitstain, if my posts bother you so much, just put me on ignore.  It's so easy, even a phucking idiot like you can do it. 

Barack Obama

13 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

There isn't a program in the MWC that really has a proven track record of achievement at this point and moving forward. The programs that have recently been above average can track their above average success to coaches that are no longer coaching here. SDSU is about the most consistent through their coaching change but they aren't that confident in future success. Reno has 4 years of history which just moved to Arkansas. 

This year is totally unknown and up for grabs in MBB which makes for excitement within conference play but not too much elsewhere. It's like a few fleas arguing over who owns the dog. Maybe the possibilities for national notoriety and success is a thing of days gone by or just gone with the P5 money anyway. If Tark is coaching today and making 1.2m does he stay when offered 3 or 4m. If it is 2007 and Fisher is offered 3 times his salary, does he stay. For all of the talk about Muss liking living in Reno he hit the road smiling all the way to the airport. If it wasn't for Mark Few it would be unanimous and Few is probably being compensated as well as most P5 coaches. We are all either stepping stones or will be paying 3 times what we currently pay our conference coaches.

Reality.....what a concept.

Three of our last four coaches took us to the dance an won.  Hopefully, Alford can make it 4.  Not many mid major programs have been able to pull that off. 

Other than a couple of swwet 16's, that's really our only claim to fame.  It's not a weak claim though.  As you and many others know all too well, it's not easy to find a coach who can keep it going.  

Hopefully TJ gets it going for you, and when he leaves, you make another good hire.

With very few exceptions, most good mid major coaches move on.  But having a coach move on is a hell of a lot better than having to fire one.  

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Jersey Rebels said:

@Aslowhiteguy you're obviously doing good work here, this won't be forgotten come "Derby day"! Carry on.

Of course, wtf would we give Vegas shit about if they ever join the new millennium and stop living in the past?

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I see Aslowdipshit does not either comprehend what he reads or just likes responding in short stories on UNLV basketball history as only he sees it.

Why does Reno fan follow basketball at all from here on out?  Your shitty little program has no history and no hope. You are pathetic for wasting your time. I’d say we are all laughing at you, but no one cares.

Rebel nuts are tired from your constant groping. 

1 hour ago, Boobie James said:

I see Aslowdipshit does not either comprehend what he reads or just likes responding in short stories on UNLV basketball history as only he sees it.

Why does Reno fan follow basketball at all from here on out?  Your shitty little program has no history and no hope. You are pathetic for wasting your time. I’d say we are all laughing at you, but no one cares.

Rebel nuts are tired from your constant groping. 

When was UNLV's last win in the Dance?

We have the program you wish you had.

We hire the kind of coaches your AD's can never land.  You have to settle for high school coaches in football and your entire fan base is giddy over some dude from jackrabbit state that very few of you had ever heard of before he became your HC.

Barack Obama

Well, that was actually the point. If you bring a winner to Vegas, can and will UNLV pay like a P5 to keep a winning coach?

I say yes. Others say no or reference Kruger. 

All we can do is speculate, but im pretty sure UNLV had more to offer a coach this time if needed.

Vegas can hold on to a coach vs a majority of schools if it just comes down to money.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

When was UNLV's last win in the Dance?

We have the program you wish you had.

We hire the kind of coaches your AD's can never land.  You have to settle for high school coaches in football and your entire fan base is giddy over some dude from jackrabbit state that very few of you had ever heard of before he became your HC.

You just typed. For everyone to see. That UNR has the program I wish I had.

That is the most delusional, dumbest shyte I can remember reading. I’d post a hundred gifs of people laughing at you if I didn’t have to go turn of my oven timer right now.

I mean Rebel fans have to look a whole 4 years ago to remember when we had more potential than you’re wannabe program has EVER had. And a whopping 6 or so years ago to when we did something Reno has never done. And never will do,,,like make the NCAAS 5 out of 6 years.

You are insignificant. You really are Aslowdipshitwhiteguy...

19 minutes ago, Boobie James said:

You just typed. For everyone to see. That UNR has the program I wish I had.

That is the most delusional, dumbest shyte I can remember reading. I’d post a hundred gifs of people laughing at you if I didn’t have to go turn of my oven timer right now.

I mean Rebel fans have to look a whole 4 years ago to remember when we had more potential than you’re wannabe program. And a whopping 6 or so years ago to when we did something Reno has never done. And never will do,,,like make the NCAAS 5 out of 6 years.

You are insignificant. You really are Aslowdipshitwhiteguy...

Your program has sucked for the better part of 30 years.

You've made exactly one good hire, post Tark.

Despite being a founding member of the MW, you've never won an outright title.

Despite being a relative new comer to the MW, we've done more here than you have, and it's obviously killing you.  And yes, we do have the program you wish you had. So does SDSU, and your other betters, USU & Fresno St.  You are years away from the level of those programs, even if TJ is worth a shit.

I do enjoy reading your posts.  They drip with Reno envy.

Barack Obama