Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

I believe I read MM was named the Assoc. Head Coach.  Could be that Thunder Dan might be making a move to work full time in his restaurant business and they were looking for someone to ease a future transition.  Who knows but that is good pay for not being a HC in the WAC if that $600K is accurate.

2 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

I believe I read MM was named the Assoc. Head Coach.  Could be that Thunder Dan might be making a move to work full time in his restaurant business and they were looking for someone to ease a future transition.  Who knows but that is good pay for not being a HC in the WAC if that $600K is accurate.

Probably so. I also tink the figure is around that case as well because there’s a few spots MM could have went but GCU is really nice it’s an upgrade over Las Cruces. They have a aspirations as a basketball program as well. 

1 minute ago, quickdraw said:

So just like this year Marvs Rebels would have been so much better because so many other MWC teams would have been that much worse?

The MWC will still as always have teams and rosters that will rise to the challenge.  I'm just hopeful for the Rebels to be one of them again. 

Im not refuting that a lot of the rise was the mwc being worse. 

But theres nothing MM can do about other teams. McCoy, Jordy, Mooring Rebels were better than this years, but team still finished better in mwc play. Its just true however anybody feels about it. UNLV was bringing back the most continuity and adding some serious athletes.

So me saying MM and even Totz should win the conference this year, to me, is not a huge deal for exactly that reason. The mw should be tougher in the middle and much weaker at the top. UNLV is a strong middle team already with the roster as is. Depending on additions could be better. 

I think Totz will get UNLV scoring. Will he add something? Is he such a difference maker that he doesnt need it? I really hope so. Most of a top half team is coming back. 

I dont get how what im saying is outrageous at all.

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

I think Totz will get UNLV scoring. Will he add something? Is he such a difference maker that he doesnt need it? I really hope so. Most of a top half team is coming back. 

I dont get how what im saying is outrageous at all.

He definitely has a lot to work with. I’m curious to see how the fanbase evaluate his first season. With everything being what it is.

9 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Well, if they want to ensure mediocrity, they can go with Menzies in the future. Good for him with the salary and good for us not having to pay him. 

2 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Well, if they want to ensure mediocrity, they can go with Menzies in the future. Good for him with the salary and good for us not having to pay him. 

GCU hasn't gone to the big dance under Thunder Dan so they are already somewhat mediocre.  They rarely get past the first round of the CBI or CIT.   MM might be a better fit in a larger city within the WAC.  MM just wasn't a good fit at UNLV.

15 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

He definitely has a lot to work with. I’m curious to see how the fanbase evaluate his first season. With everything being what it is.

I think it was all the way possible that MM wins the mwc regular season, does not win the tournament  and ends up in the NIT as mwc champs because of weak sos and no standout wins.Totally not good enough.

But Totz actually did exactly that this season. Its just true. I can mention that and say I think the ceiling has probably been raised. But there is zero track record of rankings, ncaa wins or runs, beating ranked teams.

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

A lot of people would call that a dumb move.

I'm still guessing a separate deal was reached that works for both parties.

Why would UNLV work it out a separate deal to pay Marv when they could be completely done with him for taking another position? 

UNLV is off the hook. They paid him for the first month - two months. No more. 

And if he really is making $600k at GCU then props to him. Would make sense to not sit around on his butt. 

1 minute ago, BleedRed702 said:

Why would UNLV work it out a separate deal to pay Marv when they could be completely done with him for taking another position? 

And if he really is making $600k at GCU then props to him. Would make sense to not sit around on his butt. 

Yep, he would lose $200k possibly but for him to be paid $600k this has to be a coach in waiting type of thing.  Assistants just don't make that type of money typically, especially in the WAC.  

11 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Yep, he would lose $200k possibly but for him to be paid $600k this has to be a coach in waiting type of thing.  Assistants just don't make that type of money typically, especially in the WAC.  

I believe head to head MM owns Thunder Dan. Not really fair considering nmsu is a long established basketball school. Gcu was a start up.

If you look at their accomplishments, MM wins by a landslide. But if TKM hires Majerle instead of Menzies, I think Marjerle crushes it in Las Vegas.

39 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

If the $600k at GCU is accurate then MM will get paid $1.2 million over the next 2 years. His buyout is only $800K over 2 years from UNLV so he is getting a $400K bump all while keeping his name relevant.

49 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Because if they agreed to another deal BEFORE he took another job, they'd reduce the buyout. 

It may not matter anyway. If the salary reports are true, Marvin becomes only your second coach to leave UNLV for a better job.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

13 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

If the $600k at GCU is accurate then MM will get paid $1.2 million over the next 2 years. His buyout is only $800K over 2 years from UNLV so he is getting a $400K bump all while keeping his name relevant.

Hard to believe they'd give him a raise, but I did hear that Thunder Dan makes 3 mil + at GCU.  I find that hard to believe as well. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

26 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Plus probably setting himself up nicely for the future.  Good move by Marv.  I'm impressed GCU is paying him so much.  Most P5 assistant coaches make around $300k.