Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

19 minutes ago, qwelish said:

All I did was be fair and stay centered, while you and others pretended that he was tanking the program. But now youre begging to keep his players. 

Plus, there hasnt even been an Otz season yet. But hey, keep on ridin them fruits by all means. 

Not sure how Reb fans not wanting a complete rebuild proves any of your moronic points. There are some decent players at Unlv that will ease the transition, of course fans want them to stay rather than starting over. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

So was I dick riding or flip flopping?

Only evident when you just paraphrase and make shit up like youre doing right now.

Glad to know you know what everyone thinks and speak for everyone. I did not know that. At least I can conclude that you take your opinion from the group. 

Maybe you can relax and have some breakfast first. Then they can tell you what to think next.

17 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Not sure how Reb fans not wanting a complete rebuild proves any of your moronic points. There are some decent players at Unlv that will ease the transition, of course fans want them to stay rather than starting over. 

If the team was that bad youd run most of them off like Chris Beard did and rebuild right away. 

You just called Chris Beard moronic because he did exactly that. The players arent that bad and neither was MM. Youre actually agreeing with me while calling my point moronic. Genuis!

Has nothing to do with overhyping.

18 minutes ago, qwelish said:

So was I dick riding or flip flopping?

Only evident when you just paraphrase and make shit up like youre doing right now.

Glad to know you know what everyone thinks and speak for everyone. I did not know that. At least I can conclude that you take your opinion from the group. 

Maybe you can relax and have some breakfast first. Then they can tell you what to think next.

You were dick riding for the first half of the season and then you were flip flopping left and right and taking whatever stance fit your narrative. 

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

We don't have to dangle from scrotums like you did with Menzies for the majority of last season? 

Nobody thought MM was a good coach.  Many wanted to believe he could start a turn around.  But deep down everyone knew he was out classed in the MW.  And that is saying something in the current environment.  I am starting to get the same vibe with the new hire.  But I will see how he recruits and watch a few games first.   My gut tells me that he is obviously better than MM.  that goes without saying.  But can he win the MW.  Hmmmmm. Not sure. 

2 minutes ago, slappy said:

Nobody thought MM was a good coach.  Many wanted to believe he could start a turn around.  But deep down everyone knew he was out classed in the MW.  And that is saying something in the current environment.  I am starting to get the same vibe with the new hire.  But I will see how he recruits and watch a few games first.   My gut tells me that he is obviously better than MM.  that goes without saying.  But can he win the MW.  Hmmmmm. Not sure. 

I thought MM was a good coach and I still do. He was a terrible fit and totally out-classed by Las Vegas. 

Totz is killing it in Las Vegas. The town loves him. I like him too! But can he recruit and can he coach UNLV to rankins, at large ncaa, mwc champiomships? 

Who the hell knows? I dont know. I think Totz will be fired up and UNLV is going to score some points.

28 minutes ago, qwelish said:

What was my narrative?

Depended on the week. You went back and forth quite a bit. Talking about how marv was a great coach, he was going to win the mw, recruiting was better, he was a good in game coach, he made bad in game decisions, he recruited poor project players, he set himself up for failure, etc. Add in that you were on your high horse and talked down to anyone who had a differing opinion than you at the time. 

You are just someone who needs to feel like they are always right. 

8 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Depended on the week. You went back and forth quite a bit. Talking about how marv was a great coach, he was going to win the mw, recruiting was better, he was a good in game coach, he made bad in game decisions, he recruited poor project players, he set himself up for failure, etc. Add in that you were on your high horse and talked down to anyone who had a differing opinion than you at the time. 

You are just someone who needs to feel like they are always right. 

Hey man or ma'am. Lets hug it out! I didnt mean to hurt your feelings.

Its also very kind of you to defend everyone else. Thanks for being so kind!

I am right. A lot. I am also wrong a lot and I readily admit it. I say unpopular things, but sometimes I know things. Other times im just observing.

I started the season saying 18-20 wins. Some people here were saying .500 or 14-16 wins. I said MM could win the mw next year, if, if.. never this year. 

A lot of those ifs have happened. Its not even unreasonable. UNLV improved 3 spots each year under MM, 10th to 7th to 4th.

I think Bangai is really good and the guards would have been top level in the mwc just maybe not right away.

I said that I thought Beck was going to be really good this year and I was dead wrong about that. But was that just Menzies? I think were about to find out. 

A lot of the stuff youre saying I didnt even say so I dont even know what to tell you. Youre obviously upset about something, but to just regurgitate all of your thoughts in one post about months of discussions is tough to make work.

17 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I am right. A lot. I am also wrong a lot and I readily admit it. I say unpopular things, but sometimes I know things. Other times im just observing.

I started the season saying 18-20 wins. Some people here were saying .500 or 14-16 wins. I said MM could win the mw next year, if, if.. never this year. 

A lot of those ifs have happened. Its not even unreasonable. UNLV improved 3 spots each year under MM, 10th to 7th to 4th.

I think Bangai is really good and the guards would have been top level in the mwc just maybe not right away.

I said that I thought Beck was going to be really good this year and I was dead wrong about that. But was that just Menzies? I think were about to find out. 

A lot of the stuff youre saying I didnt even say so I dont even know what to tell you. Youre obviously upset about something, but to just regurgitate all of your thoughts in one post about months of discussions is tough to make work.

Image result for humble gif

It sounds just like we jumped into the way-back machine. These last few pages sound exactly like before I started this thread and shortly thereafter.

The vote at the top of this thread shows a consensus or at least a serious majority of 4;1

I guess I should go onto Amazon and order a can of Kroil, for those times when it is difficult to get a nut to release. 

Congrats to Marv. You are exactly where you should be for the 1st time in 4 years. THis is a good hire for GCU.

Meh. Consensus of people in the business is that the firing was premature. It was, but its still hard to go to bat for MM.

I agree the results were not good enough. Im just not piling on and belittling the man. Also, perfectly reasonable to expect much better results since UNLV has a great coach now. 

21 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Meh. Consensus of people in the business is that the firing was premature. It was, but its still hard to go to bat for MM.

I agree the results were not good enough. Im just not piling on and belittling the man. Also, perfectly reasonable to expect much better results since UNLV has a great coach now. 

Anderson-Cooper-rolls-eyes.jpg

23 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I think it would be fair to call UNLVs coach unproven so far no?  How can a guy be a great coach before he has ever coached a game at a school with very little track record?

Just now, Wyobraska said:

I think it would be fair to call UNLVs coach unproven so far no?  How can a guy be a great coach before he has ever coached a game at a school with very little track record?

Thats my entire point. Spot on.

So who anywhere is calling Otz a "Great Coach"?

That would be as ludicrous as predicting Marv winning the MWC next year.

Otz is unproven at this level in much the same way Marv was. Time will tell. 5 years...right.

Ludacris when he finished 4th this year and all the teams ahead of UNLV graduated or lost most of their best players?

Sure because you say so and youre the expert here. Funny how posts like yours arent considered "talking down". 

But whaaaatever.

Im pretty sure Totz will get his entire 5 years unless he bombs. I started the year off saying MM would probably be fired this year.

10 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

So who anywhere is calling Otz a "Great Coach"?

That would be as ludicrous as predicting Marv winning the MWC next year.

Otz is unproven at this level in much the same way Marv was. Time will tell. 5 years...right.

So just like this year Marvs Rebels would have been so much better because so many other MWC teams would have been that much worse?

The MWC will still as always have teams and rosters that will rise to the challenge.  I'm just hopeful for the Rebels to be one of them again.