Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

Just now, Rosegreen said:

Apparently they will announce today according to somebody on Twitter. 

Good news for vegas in regards to the buyout, right?

I hope it works out for Marvin.  Like Dave, he never should have been hired in the first place. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Good news for vegas in regards to the buyout, right?

I hope it works out for Marvin.  Like Dave, he never should have been hired in the first place. 

Yeah UNLV doesn’t pay the monthly buyout payments anymore, of which Menzies was probably going be taking in about 33 grand a month before taxes.  

So probably made off with an extra 45-50 grand (before taxes) before getting hired on by GCU. (Yet to be official) 

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Yeah UNLV doesn’t pay the monthly buyout payments anymore, of which Menzies was probably going be taking in about 33 grand a month before taxes.  

So probably made off with an extra 45-50 grand (before taxes) before getting hired on by GCU. (Yet to be official) 

If it were me, I'd just collect the $.  Marvin must want back in badly. 

Barack Obama

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If it were me, I'd just collect the $.  Marvin must want back in badly. 

You sit for two years, you won’t get a decent job. Maybe junior college making peanuts and riding in bus for a few hours to away games. 

39 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

You sit for two years, you won’t get a decent job. Maybe junior college making peanuts and riding in bus for a few hours to away games. 

You could certainly sit for a year.  Lots of guys have done it.  Some for two.

I think Fox sat for two years, but I'm not sure.  Either way, he landed on his feet. 

Barack Obama

Everything just keeps on getting better for the Rebels. Only double paid for the HC position for 1 month. Marv is back into the game and we are moving forward with 75% of our squad with an opportunity for a new style of play. DRF is certainly an upgrade from TKM

I love it when a plan comes together. .

27 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Everything just keeps on getting better for the Rebels. Only double paid for the HC position for 1 month. Marv is back into the game and we are moving forward with 75% of our squad with an opportunity for a new style of play. DRF is certainly an upgrade from TKM

I love it when a plan comes together. .

Seems UNLV got out of this coaching change much better than the last coaching change 

Now it's on to the 2019-20 season and recruiting 

16 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Seems UNLV got out of this coaching change much better than the last coaching change 

Now it's on to the 2019-20 season and recruiting 

curious to see where Strawther goes tomorrow.

Most buyouts just deduct what your new job pays from the buyout payments you'd be receiving.

Marvin was an idiot to sign that deal.  Saves the Rebs some money though.

I'm wondering if a backroom deal was made after the fact that benefits both parties. 

Barack Obama

11 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Most buyouts just deduct what your new job pays from the buyout payments you'd be receiving.

Marvin was an idiot to sign that deal.  Saves the Rebs some money though.

I'm wondering if a backroom deal was made after the fact that benefits both parties. 

I was thinking the same thing. I would imagine the school would be willing to renegotiate and pay at least a portion.  Good for UNLV and props to Marv if he just walked and is moving on.  

If he did, he should get big respect from the UNLV fans.  I remember when Carter worked for free so we would have to pay him. 

3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Or NMSU comes calling again once their HC leaves again.

After how he blamed our fanbase for being losers and not attending games, I don't think we want him back. The irony is that he tried to praise UNLV for having more basketball tradition than NMSU and subsequently tanked your attendance. We had more fans in the seats in Reggie's last year 10 years ago in Las Cruces (back when the population wasn't even 100k) than UNLV had this year. That's how bad Marvin Menzies is for attendance.

Best of luck to him at GCU, except when he plays the Aggies. I think he's a better fit at GCU as an assistant because his HC skills are lacking but as an assistant, the kinds of players he likes to recruit are precisely the kind GCU needs (big, athletic guys who rebound and are tough). As long as he doesn't recruit too many projects and sticks to teaching 'em defense (and let Majerle teach them offense and shooting skills), GCU should do well.

I know some NMSU fans would rather see our former coaches who burned us on the way out fail at everything they do (Weir at UNM, Menzies at UNLV, now GCU), but honestly, it's better for everyone if they succeed at their new jobs. We get a higher RPI/NET/Kenpom when we beat their teams, their success then speaks positively of NMSU as a place that attracts talent (both players and coaches), and personally, I certainly enjoyed it when our former coaches beat a team we either couldn't beat or didn't have a chance to play but really would have liked to smack down (see Nevada losing to UNM last year).

3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Or NMSU comes calling again once their HC leaves again.

After how he blamed our fanbase for being losers and not attending games, I don't think we want him back. The irony is that he tried to praise UNLV for having more basketball tradition than NMSU and subsequently tanked your attendance. We had more fans in the seats in Reggie's last year 10 years ago in Las Cruces (back when the population wasn't even 100k) than UNLV had this year. That's how bad Marvin Menzies is for attendance.

Best of luck to him at GCU, except when he plays the Aggies. I think he's a better fit at GCU as an assistant because his HC skills are lacking but as an assistant, the kinds of players he likes to recruit are precisely the kind GCU needs (big guys who rebound and are tough). As long as he doesn't recruit too many projects and sticks to teaching 'em defense (and let Majerle teach them offense and shooting skills), GCU should do well.