Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

33 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

They are idiots if they don't hire RP; if he truly is interested and has the financial backing.

It's a risky hire since the hammer might still be coming down on him. 

But Vegas has become Desperation U. They might roll the dice on him. 

If I were an AD I'm not sure I'd risk my reputation and career on Rick Pitino.  The guy is toxic right now.  If things go bad, those who signed off on him may go down with him.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

48 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's a risky hire since the hammer might still be coming down on him. 

But Vegas has become Desperation U. They might roll the dice on him. 

If I were an AD I'm not sure I'd risk my reputation and career on Rick Pitino.  The guy is toxic right now.  If things go bad, those who signed off on him may go down with him.

that potential hammer exists for several current coaches as well, including Sean Miller, Pasternak, and many others.  It's going to be a tricky situation for anyone wanting to hire one of those being investigated until it's all settled, but in the meantime, I think you make your choice, and live with it. Or go down in flames. I'll be really curious to see what happens, if anything, with Arizona, as they have dug in behind Miller. And he isn't even that great of a coach, lol, but he can recruit, obviously, with the #1 recruiting class at this point coming in next year.

As others have said, DRF might be afraid to pull the trigger for Pitino, but then she better be careful walking through the rest of the minefield, and we still don't know who else is going to be under fire. The big question I see with Pitino at this point is a potential show cause against him for former issues, but I think he will be squeaky clean in the future if he ends up at any college program, he doesn't want to go out like this.

My dad always said, "Cure it or kill it" lol. I don't know if the NCAA could kill off our program to any lower point than it is right now. so yeah, at this point, bring in Slick, and get some excitement back into this program. DRF might as well roll the dice on her career, and go big or go home. But will she.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

that potential hammer exists for several current coaches as well, including Sean Miller, Pasternak, and many others.  It's going to be a tricky situation for anyone wanting to hire one of those being investigated until it's all settled, but in the meantime, I think you make your choice, and live with it. Or go down in flames. I'll be really curious to see what happens, if anything, with Arizona, as they have dug in behind Miller. And he isn't even that great of a coach, lol, but he can recruit, obviously, with the #1 recruiting class at this point coming in next year.

As others have said, DRF might be afraid to pull the trigger for Pitino, but then she better be careful walking through the rest of the minefield, and we still don't know who else is going to be under fire. The big question I see with Pitino at this point is a potential show cause against him for former issues, but I think he will be squeaky clean in the future if he ends up at any college program, he doesn't want to go out like this.

My dad always said, "Cure it or kill it" lol. I don't know if the NCAA could kill off our program to any lower point than it is right now. so yeah, at this point, bring in Slick, and get some excitement back into this program. DRF might as well roll the dice on her career, and go big or go home. But will she.

Rick Pitino's baggage, UNLV's history.  What could go wrong?

Barack Obama

9 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Rick Pitino's baggage, UNLV's history.  What could go wrong?

As UNLV fans have been reminded many times, that era was over 25 years ago. Like our fans and boosters of that era most of the NCAA officials involved are either old, retired or dead. Pitino is a great coach and know the game. At his age I would imagine his desire to get back in is about restoring his image and he has about 1 contract remaining to do it. UNLV would be a perfect opportunity to do exactly that. Bring the Rebels back to relevance after all of these years and would get all of the publicity he ever desired. He would fit in with his supporters on the strip and get a great ego massage. 

That said a contract that would protect UNLV would probably need to be so restrictive that I doubt that Rick's ego would sign it.   

Not gonna go through 26 pages, but it looks like he’s doing just barely enough to keep his job. He’s in 4/5 place right now and is Vegas that cutthroat to fire someone for finishing in the top half? 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Match made in heaven, lol. 

Can’t get much worse than its already been the last few years. So there’s that. 

Probation would be worse.  Damaging your reputation would be worse.  

There are  issues beyond the obvious as to why most programs would not even give RP an interview.                                    You have You have to consider the larger picture of the mission of a university and what message a hire like that sends.  

The guy banged his assts wife at a restaurant.  His paid assts were arranging sex parties for players and recruits, and who knows what else was swept under the rug and never publicly addressed?

Also, if Rick Pitino really wants to rehabilitate his reputation, moving to Las Vegas is not a good look.  I truly doubt his interest in the job.  And we've heard RP to vegas rumors every time vegas has an opening, so it's probably all BS anyway.

You guys got Lon Kruger and almost had Beard.  You can make a better, safer hire than Rick Pitino.  Besides, we don't even know how much his damaged reputation will affect his ability to recruit.  I would imagine there are some parents who would not want their 18 y/o influenced by a gut like that.  I know I wouldn't want my kid around a scumbag like him. 

I have some doubts RP will be coaching a college team next season.  I think he needs another year to let things simmer down and remove the fear that he could be the next target of the NCAA.  

Vegas is one good hire away from being relevant.  And one bad hire away from being SJSU.  You have to get it right this time.  The last thing you want is bad press just for hiring a guy who probably won't be around for very long.  

Barack Obama

37 minutes ago, brillio said:

Not gonna go through 26 pages, but it looks like he’s doing just barely enough to keep his job. He’s in 4/5 place right now and is Vegas that cutthroat to fire someone for finishing in the top half? 

Conference is ranked 16th and he’s been getting blown out in losses. Pretty clear the team has regressed. 

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

As UNLV fans have been reminded many times, that era was over 25 years ago. Like our fans and boosters of that era most of the NCAA officials involved are either old, retired or dead. Pitino is a great coach and know the game. At his age I would imagine his desire to get back in is about restoring his image and he has about 1 contract remaining to do it. UNLV would be a perfect opportunity to do exactly that. Bring the Rebels back to relevance after all of these years and would get all of the publicity he ever desired. He would fit in with his supporters on the strip and get a great ego massage. 

That said a contract that would protect UNLV would probably need to be so restrictive that I doubt that Rick's ego would sign it.   

If Rick Pitino is the only guy who can save your program, it's probably not worth saving. 

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

Conference is ranked 16th and he’s been getting blown out in losses. Pretty clear the team has regressed. 

And next season doesn't look to be much better. 

I know the guy started with a bare cupboard, but so have a lot of other coaches.  Marvin is no turnaround wizard.  Perhaps, given enough time, he could get the rebs into the top three in the MW.  Even David Carter did that and he did it when the MW was in better shape than we are now. 

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

There are  issues beyond the obvious as to why most programs would not even give RP an interview.                                    You have You have to consider the larger picture of the mission of a university and what message a hire like that sends.  

The guy banged his assts wife at a restaurant.  His paid assts were arranging sex parties for players and recruits, and who knows what else was swept under the rug and never publicly addressed?

Also, if Rick Pitino really wants to rehabilitate his reputation, moving to Las Vegas is not a good look.  I truly doubt his interest in the job.  And we've heard RP to vegas rumors every time vegas has an opening, so it's probably all BS anyway.

You guys got Lon Kruger and almost had Beard.  You can make a better, safer hire than Rick Pitino.  Besides, we don't even know how much his damaged reputation will affect his ability to recruit.  I would imagine there are some parents who would not want their 18 y/o influenced by a gut like that.  I know I wouldn't want my kid around a scumbag like him. 

I have some doubts RP will be coaching a college team next season.  I think he needs another year to let things simmer down and remove the fear that he could be the next target of the NCAA.  

Vegas is one good hire away from being relevant.  And one bad hire away from being SJSU.  You have to get it right this time.  The last thing you want is bad press just for hiring a guy who probably won't be around for very long.  

You are being over dramatic here. 

11 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Nobody actually plans on Pitino being here, but we’re damn well going to have some fun with it, lol.   But if it WERE to happen, there would instantly be an almost full T&M. If you’re saying we are morally bankrupt if we hire him? We live in Sin City, for crying out loud. :P Just go with it. 

And probation will hurt our program? There were only a couple thousand fans there last night, all time low, Since back in pre-Tark days. That hurts recruiting worse than anything else. We are already at SJSU levels, :wacko:

3 hours ago, brillio said:

Any other year and that would be a 7th/8th place finish. The conference sucks balls this year and we are getting blown out by the top half and grinding out games with the bottom half.

Besides, there's not really a difference between 4th/5th place and 9th place this year (Other than seeding in the mwc tournament).

6 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Yeah but none of it really matters. What sells recruits are winning, tv time and chance at the NBA. RP brings all three. 

That's a fair point.  But you don't need RP to do all that.  Kruger did it.  Muss is doing it.  Chris Beard is doing it too.

Regardless,  I doubt it ever happens. What is being said now is pretty much the SOS that has been said those other times when RP was coming to UNLV.  As I recall, lots of guys had "sources" back then too.

Barack Obama