Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Menzies included in this ESPN article about coaches on the hot seat FWIW...

Reverse hot seat -- why these embattled coaches should stay https://es.pn/2WWH6wH
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Theres a few guys on this list that might do a good job at UNLV. No way Mullin and Philipovich are on the hot seat. I believe UNLV changes coaches the day it happens.

I think Marvin will be back, but finishing 15-15, 6th in mw is a bit below my expectations for this season, especially not playing the young guys. Im over it now, but opportunity lost. 

I dont mind if MM is back. He will be forced to play freshmen and sophomores in the back court next year. Thats all he will have, besides Amauri and Jay Green. UNLV has not had this level of athletic freshmen guards in a long time. Ethan is better than Jaylen Fisher and maybe as good or better than Oscar Bellfield. 

Im interested to see what that looks like. 

12 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I would pump the brakes on Ethan being a savior of some sort. Freshman under Menzies have played terrible overall. Ntwambe has slowly regressed the last few games. 

I dont think I called Ethan a savior, and I voiced how I am unhappy with Marvin.

Next year im just happy he will not have any undersized, unathletic or unskilled low ceiling band aid guys left to play. He will have to lean on the young guys and that is where the talent is. That doesnt mean MM will win with it, especially since he hasnt stolen enough minutes for them this year.

Theres no promise that next season is any better than this one. But there is upside. This team has no upside.

Unlike TKM, the current UNLV AD is no amateur. She is aggressively recruiting a replacement for Menzies. In fact, one candidate has visited the UNLV campus twice. But there are no leaks and it's completely under the radar. She's a pro. IMO she will not make a new hire just to hire a new coach. Unless she hits one of her targets and it is not Pitino there is a possibility Menzies will be back. If she does, Menzies is done at UNLV at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

Unlike TKM, the current UNLV AD is no amateur. She is aggressively recruiting a replacement for Menzies. In fact, one candidate has visited the UNLV campus twice. But there are no leaks and it's completely under the radar. She's a pro. IMO she will not make a new hire just to hire a new coach. Unless she hits one of her targets and it is not Pitino there is a possibility Menzies will be back. If she does, Menzies is done at UNLV at the end of the season.

No leaks and completely under the radar, yet you know she is on the search and a candidate has already visited twice?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

No leaks and completely under the radar, yet you know she is on the search and a candidate has already visited twice?

Absolutely! Very similar to the hiring of Lon Kruger. There was no search. Brad Rothermel first met with Kruger back in New York in early January and an agreement was reached by mid-February. But no one knew of the deal until the season was done.

3 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

So who is the candidate then?

37 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Alford took UCLA to three Sweet 16s, Southwest Missouri St to a Sweet 16, and New Mexico to a NCAA Round of 32...he's also available to interview

He has clear limitations and is a world-class a$$hole but i'd take him over the clown show we have now in a new york second.

Crap, he is unemployed now... i bet he's the one who has visited twice.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

10 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

He has clear limitations and is a world-class a$$hole but i'd take him over the clown show we have now in a new york second.

Crap, he is unemployed now... i bet he's the one who has visited twice.

Cal was a pompous ass but he took us to an NCAA Finals along with a couple of Elite Eights so he suddenly became 'our pompous ass'

let him take UNLV to a couple Sweet 16s and you'll love the guy.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

The word has definitely been circulated and blood is in the water. Enough so that several coaches have openly expressed interest.

This is what ive been alluding to. She is aggressive, but she has to get funding for her pick. She cant just pick whoever. Her pick has to have backing or be backed by boosters who can pay. Ive heard that Pitino is not being considered because there is resistance. I know for sure Pitino has backing. 

If she cant get a name I doubt she gets funding and MM is back. I think this 7 game stretch motivates more boosters to pony up for a change.

16 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

He was?  When?

In November Pitino was in Vegas for a while and made his rounds on the radio and with a few of his rich connections in town. 

He definitely could have been to UNLV twice. He is acquaintences with Menzies, so thats where I see the issue, but if Menzies is to be fired anyhow, its not his fault and could happen. I doubt its Rick, so interested to see who her hire might be. Or is there just a smokescreen being run for Rick to come in?

8 minutes ago, qwelish said:

In November Pitino was in Vegas for a while and made his rounds on the radio and with a few of his rich connections in town. 

He definitely could have been to UNLV twice. He is acquaintences with Menzies, so thats where I see the issue, but if Menzies is to be fired anyhow, its not his fault and could happen. I doubt its Rick, so interested to see who her hire might be. Or is there just a smokescreen being run for Rick to come in?

You are 💯 on that. Rick Pitino was in town. But for purposes of clarity I wasn't referring to RP. But I didn't mean to infer RP doesn't have current interest in the UNLV job. He does. Also, notice that unlike his other visits on his book tour to San Diego, for example, he visited a Aztec practice and took a pictures with the team. RP did the same with Cincy and North Carolina State. I have yet to see or hear that he stopped by UNLV's practice at the Mendenhall which raised a question as to why not? Also, on my prior post I was just sharing a little information that I can comfortably do with out impacting sources. Just to add to my prior post, there are pretty much two factions of boosters right now at UNLV. There is the pro Pitino faction who have substantial resources to get it done. Then there is the AD and the administration who are leery of RP's NCAA issues. They are pursuing alternatives with P5 coaching experience with out baggage. But much different than the last coaching search they now have substantial resources backing them. There does appear to be unity on one issue and both factions appear to be serious fixing the basketball program. How it ends up I have no idea. But there are serious attempts is to get the next hire done right. 

23 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

You are 💯 on that. Rick Pitino was in town. But for purposes of clarity I wasn't referring to RP. But I didn't mean to infer RP doesn't have current interest in the UNLV job. He does. Also, notice that unlike his other visits on his book tour to San Diego, for example, he visited a Aztec practice and took a pictures with the team. RP did the same with Cincy and North Carolina State. I have yet to see or hear that he stopped by UNLV's practice at the Mendenhall which raised a question as to why not? Also, on my prior post I was just sharing a little information that I can comfortably do with out impacting sources. Just to add to my prior post, there are pretty much two factions of boosters right now at UNLV. There is the pro Pitino faction who have substantial resources to get it done. Then there is the AD and the administration who are leery of RP's NCAA issues. They are pursuing alternatives with P5 coaching experience with out baggage. But much different than the last coaching search they now have substantial resources backing them. There does appear to be unity on one issue and both factions appear to be serious fixing the basketball program. How it ends up I have no idea. But there are serious attempts is to get the next hire done right. 

They are idiots if they don't hire RP; if he truly is interested and has the financial backing.