Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

4 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Alford hasn’t been on anyone’s radar, my guess is he’s going to the Midwest.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

have heard Alford’s name in connection with job. 

:shrug:

52 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Alford is a small swing at mediocrity. We already did that. I'd rather keep Marv for the next 2 years and move on than spend 4 or 5 years playing Alfords game. 

Pass

He definitely wouldn't be my top choice, plus he's a huge prick and used to be one of the biggest whiners about the MWC tourney being in Vegas. That said he'd be a huge step up from Mediocre Marv.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

11 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

He definitely wouldn't be my top choice, plus he's a huge prick and used to be one of the biggest whiners about the MWC tourney being in Vegas. That said he'd be a huge step up from Mediocre Marv.

Give Menzies time.  New Mexico State is still kicking ass, and this is the third year he’s been gone.

Menzies reminds me of Tubby Smith...he will win...BUT...he's stubborn, likes to do it 'his way', and it's a slow build.

if you stick with him he'll get you there...but what will be left of UNLV by the time he gets you there?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

35 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Menzies reminds me of Tubby Smith...he will win...BUT...he's stubborn, likes to do it 'his way', and it's a slow build.

if you stick with him he'll get you there...but what will be left of UNLV by the time he gets you there?

What do you mean by "there"? 1st round NCAA loss?

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Give Menzies time.  New Mexico State is still kicking ass, and this is the third year he’s been gone.

I'd like to see the guys coming into the back court. Not sure who watches the HS games, but JPL looks about 6'3" right now.  Ethan is 6'2" and a truck. Both dunking machines and tough players.

Id like to see next years team with those two on it. Could be a fringe tournament team.

I dont care if Marvin is here next year or if they can him. So long as they nail the hire. If not, the fast turnover could hurt the program.

ethan tweet.PNG

23 hours ago, ph90702 said:

LOL, we are still kicking ass because we have a tradition for good basketball that goes back to the 60s and we finally have an AD who isn't incompetent. Most of today's players are Weir/Jans recruits.

NMSU under Marvin used big men to pound it inside and either foul out the other team or overpower them with size. Size was more important than basketball IQ, talent, or shooting ability, which meant that other than the years where we had NBA draft talent like Pascal Siakam or Sim Bhullar, we couldn't beat P5 teams who had a better coach, smarter bigs, and guards who could shoot 3s and not make stupid fouls and turnovers.

I don't doubt that Marvin will have a higher ceiling at UNLV since UNLV has more money for better assistants and can attract better recruits, but he's still Mediocre Marv. His weakness as a coach and strategist means that UNLV wouldn't even win past the first round, even with UNR's roster.

2 minutes ago, GoNMSUAggies said:

Size was more important than basketball IQ, talent, or shooting ability

Im seeing some of this as well.

I think hes a good, not great coach. If he pulls off what he did at nmsu. UNLV is a good enough program to stack the roster. 

The city will not accept mediocrity. The UNLV administration might.

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think the next couple of weeks will determine Marvin's fate.  On paper it's hard to see how Vegas ends up with a winning record.  But Marvin has surprised before.

Next 2 weeks wont determine it.

DRF already understands his mission. Shes been spreading the 8 of 11 scholarships being underclassmen everytime she touches a radio show.

Menzies gets to 20+ wins and maybe a semifinal shot at MWCT this season.

Finishing top 5 in conferencr. Doing that with young guys and losing his best player to injury.

Juiston, the incoming freshmen, the returners who are killing it this year all back next year.

Add in were still paying Rice. Would have to pay Marv...and then still fork out for new coach... not happening. 

Hes locked in for 4 and probably even 5 barring an epic collapse. People just gotta open their mind and hope for the best instead of being cancers and already determining he cant coach.

I mean Paul Weir this time last year was a God. Amazing what a PG and shooting can do for a coach.....

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

5 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

being cancers and already determining he cant coach.

I like you dude, but shut the +++++ up. No one is a cancer. Get out of here with that shit. People can have different opinions. You're doing the literal same shit people got on Dave Rice defenders for. 

6 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

I like you dude, but shut the +++++ up. No one is a cancer. Get out of here with that shit. People can have different opinions. You're doing the literal same shit people got on Dave Rice defenders for. 

Nobody is a cancer?

Go look up guys like jimmy Schwartz on Twitter. Hardcore UNLV fan that just wishes UNLV loses so they can get rid of him.

There are many more too. I seen a dude in student section start a marvin menzies chant in student section after we were down 7 against new Mexico early..

Cancers. Not differing opinions. Cancers.

All is well, For Rice is gone.