Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Does Marvin Menzies Have What it Takes?

Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNLV To The Top Of The MWC  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Does Marvin Menzies Have What It Takes To Return UNVL To The Top Of The MWC

Well now, is the an aberration or a sign of things to come. I missed the game but saw a recap on Youtube, but it was with the UNM announcers so it was mainly UNM highlights. They skipped right over the 20 to 10 Rebel run. 

In any case that was a good win and a feather in Marv's cap as well as a good performance by the Rebel guards. The Rebel watch continues but I'm very happy by this good win.

Keep it up Rebs! GO FIGHT WIN!

10 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

UNM will come to the T&M looking for some retribution. AFA will play a tough zone in the next game so I'll just keep a hopeful wait and see attitude.

the rebs handled UNM's zone with relative ease, hopefully they can do the same thing against AFA. It might end up depending on THEIR attitude, lol.

14 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

the rebs handled UNM's zone with relative ease, hopefully they can do the same thing against AFA. It might end up depending on THEIR attitude, lol.

The UNLV UNM game was the first Rebel game i have watched from start to finish.  I saw a small portion of the Wyoming game.  It looks like Marvin has the guys headed in the right direction.  The question is will they maintain that level of intensity against a team like Air Force where they are heavily favored.  In year 3, these are the type of games Menzies needs to show consistency.  It's nice to get up for Nevada and UNM, but what about the bottom 4 or 5 teams.  I like the athleticism he has recruited.  Give these guys another year to gel and it looks like they could be really good.  Hoping to see our former coach with a top 5 MWC finish this year and then compete for a top 3 next year.  Granted it was only one game, but it looks the talent is getting there.  9 freshmen and sophomores and a 3-0 conference start.

He doesn’t have what it takes. 8 days to prepare for Air Force and then gets torched by one of the worst offenses in the country. 106 points?!!!

Everyone knows what Air Force runs, that’s no secret but to Menzies the crowd noise was why they got smoked on defense. Uh coach, your playing an away conference game, it’s gonna be hostile everywhere. Moby, AA, Utah State, Viejas, where’s the preparation for hostile crowds? He admitted he didn’t think crowd would be a factor. 

We’re wasting scholarships on projects. Djorde Slavicsnin or whatever his name is. He’s a junior and has size at 6’11. People were whining about the lack of size for UNLV, well where the hell was Djorde? Year three and this guy hasn’t seen a meaningful minute at UNLV. Is Menzies developing this guy or not? Why is he on the roster? Should have been told to play elsewhere last year. 

13 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

He doesn’t have what it takes. 8 days to prepare for Air Force and then gets torched by one of the worst offenses in the country. 106 points?!!!

Everyone knows what Air Force runs, that’s no secret but to Menzies the crowd noise was why they got smoked on defense. Uh coach, your playing an away conference game, it’s gonna be hostile everywhere. Moby, AA, Utah State, Viejas, where’s the preparation for hostile crowds? He admitted he didn’t think crowd would be a factor. 

We’re wasting scholarships on projects. Djorde Slavicsnin or whatever his name is. He’s a junior and has size at 6’11. People were whining about the lack of size for UNLV, well where the hell was Djorde? Year three and this guy hasn’t seen a meaningful minute at UNLV. Is Menzies developing this guy or not? Why is he on the roster? Should have been told to play elsewhere last year. 

That’s a good point about Djorde. I kinda forget about him. Was he on the bench?  We could use his size being down 3 post players

Crowd size? One end of the arena was full with cadets the remaining 80% of the arena was maybe at 20% capacity. The end opposite the cadets was EMPTY. While in Marv's coaching career he basically has the UNR game last year as his only signature win he does have signature losses, many many of them. Last night is one more on the list and the 2nd or 3rd this year. He has allowed multiple records set by our opponents over the past few years. 

So according to Marv we lost last night due to how loud the arena was, size of their guards, AFA executed with military precision and discipline. Amari mentioned that every time they fought back into the game that AFA would make a run. Amari, you never were in the game after the 1st 2 or 3 minutes, you lost both halves. Rebels allowed one of the worse offensive team in D1 to set their personal D1 record since 1999. 57 points in the paint. During layup after layup after layup your head coach looked like a deer in the headlights of an oncoming truck. He does not have a clue what to do once a game starts and there is a little adversity.

Then again maybe AFA has better recruiting than UNLV. 

Oh that's right, they don't recruit. Oh well, after the SJSU at home on Saturday all of this will be forgotten and we'll be back on track, right?

25 minutes ago, Cheek Patch said:

That’s a good point about Djorde. I kinda forget about him. Was he on the bench?  We could use his size being down 3 post players

If you land on Marv's $hit list you don't play. Look at how much better Beck has gotten over the past few months since landing on Marv's list. Look at Dembelle's production as the season went on this year. Look at how Diong played when the season started vs his last few games. Djordjije won't see the floor until there are only 4 Rebels left standing. In game coaching is more like throw it against the wall and see what sticks. 

1 minute ago, quickdraw said:

If you land on Marv's $hit list you don't play. Look at how much better Beck has gotten over the past few months since landing on Marv's list. Djordjije won't see the floor until there are only 4 Rebels left standing. In game coaching is more like throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

Did Djorde do something that I’m not aware of? 

12 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Did Djorde do someththeir 3 top playersing that I’m not aware of? 

Other than not being capable of playing 1 minute while our front court has lost it's 3 best players. He has really progressed after 2 1/2 years of good coaching and player development, Huh? 

Some of you guys act like something was revealed about this team that we did not know. 

There are 2 freshmen and a sophomore in the starting line up, the first guys off the bench are a freshman and a sophomore. The two seniors are trash. 

Djordjie is a gpa player. Nothing more. Is that where you guys are at right now? Complaining that Djordjie didnt play and hasnt improved?

Cmon guys. Reno got housed in their 1st conference road game and thats a senior laden team. It was an ugly game and the young, depleted Rebs ran into a buzzsaw.

Relax gents. Comedy.

4 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Other than not being capable of playing 1 minute while our front court has lost it's 3 best players. He has really progressed after 2 1/2 years of good coaching and player development, Huh? 

From your post about players being in Menzies doghouse. I was thinking (hoping) maybe Djorde got busted for breaking curfew or something. Turns out he just sucks. Can’t even get garbage minutes in a blowout or beat a couple walk ons. 

Nothing to see here. Everything is on schedule, young players, this is a normal state of events for every program with young guys, wait until our next game and then of course next year's comedy.

After all it's all about recruiting.