Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

My Appearance on The Vegas Take

1 minute ago, VincentVegaBond said:

That was 20 years ago, before the MW was formed when we were all still in the WAC.  About as relevant to talk about as UNLV's national championship.

One season before, and almost all of the teama that form the mwc at that point made up the mwc. 

Theres really no difference between that wac and the mwc.

Why are you arguing that UNLV has the limitations that a reno fan claims? The MWC is as good or better than the conference gonzaga is in.

3 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

That was 20 years ago, before the MW was formed when we were all still in the WAC.  About as relevant to talk about as UNLV's national championship.

Utah made it to the NC game the year before the MWC started up - 1998 so 7 years between UNLV's 1991 FF & Utah's 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

One season before, and almost all of the teama that form the mwc at that point made up the mwc. 

Why are you arguing that UNLV has the limitations that a reno fan claims? The MWC is as good or better than the conference gonzaga is in.

The WAC 16 had some serious basketball talent in the few years it existed with quite a few guys going to the NBA from Tulsa, Hawaii, SMU, Utah, NM etc 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

Not arguing that, man.  Those Reno claims are ridiculous as we all know.  

As for the MW, used to be basically the 6th high-major, then Utah, BYU, and TCU bolted and the rest of the programs took huge steps backwards.  I do still think it's better than the WCC overall but Gonzaga is light years ahead of any MW program.

And the WAC was certainly far different from the current MW, there were nearly twice as many teams!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

25 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

As for the MW, used to be basically the 6th high-major, then Utah, BYU, and TCU bolted and the rest of the programs took huge steps backwards.  I do still think it's better than the WCC overall but Gonzaga is light years ahead of any MW program.

And the WAC was certainly far different from the current MW, there were nearly twice as many teams!

The WCC is better than the MW right now.

9 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The WCC is better than the MW right now.

Yeah, that's what I said.  

Most of our teams also have passable-to-good stadiums and arenas, generally bigger budgets and are large state universities, compared to high school gyms and schools with only a few thousand students.  MW definitely has far more potential has sunk to its lowest "era" in MW history.  A lot of historically competitive teams need to pick it up (like AFA and CSU in football, UNLV and UNM in basketball, etc) to help this conference recover.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

54 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Reno has as good of a shot as any to make it to a nat championship game. They might even end up with a 1 seed.

I doubt we end up with a 1 seed.  I think we would have to finish 34-0 (winning the mwc tournament) to get a 1 seed.  I don’t see that happening.  I’ll be very happy if we end up with a two seed.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

33 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I doubt we end up with a 1 seed.  I think we would have to finish 34-0 (winning the mwc tournament) to get a 1 seed.  I don’t see that happening.  I’ll be very happy if we end up with a two seed.  

Its unlikely, but...

chance.gif

At this point, most of the UNLV 'fans' on these boards are so jaded and upset that they can see no good for UNLV, no good for the conference, no good for anything. 

I wonder why they put themselves through all of this misery going to and watching games,checking these boards, complaining, bitching and whining every single day?

eek!

Guest #1Stunner

I listened to the entire interview and thought that @ph90702 was very persuasive and made a good argument.

Kruger was a good coach, but had reached his ceiling.  UNLV expects more.   That the Dave Rice failure happened says nothing.

Only point I disagreed with PH on is that UNLV is clearly better than Gonzaga.   Clearly it's not.   Gonzaga is a college town and UNLV is a commuter school in the ghetto.  

19 minutes ago, qwelish said:

At this point, most of the UNLV 'fans' on these boards are so jaded and upset that they can see no good for UNLV, no good for the conference, no good for anything. 

I wonder why they put themselves through all of this misery going to and watching games,checking these boards, complaining, bitching and whining every single day?

eek!

I appreciate their continued patronage of this board. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

National Championship game. Utah

Are you going to move the goal post now?

Utah isn't here anymore.  I was speaking of current MW teams.  I should have been more clear about that. 

ETA - wasn't their run just before the MW was formed?

PS - You really don't have to be an asshole on every post you make.   That is my job.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Reno has as good of a shot as any to make it to a nat championship game. They might even end up with a 1 seed.

I'd be doing backflips if we made it to back to back swt 16's. 

Has that been done in the MW? 

The last time we had a good seed, we lost to Montana in the first round.

Barack Obama

31 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'd be doing backflips if we made it to back to back swt 16's. 

Has that been done in the MW? 

The last time we had a good seed, we lost to Montana in the first round.

Im sure you would. 

Never been done, but reno is stacked and I love teams with great size in the back court. reno definitely has that. 

reno is better than last year, so the committee will be doing you no favors im sure.

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Im sure you would. 

Never been done, but reno is stacked and I love teams with great size in the back court. reno definitely has that. 

reno is better than last year, so the committee will be doing you no favors im sure.

I would hate to get a first round game with a team like NMSU or an ACC team that got a low seed.

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Those vaunted TCU basketball teams