Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

Rumors of AAC Having GOR or Uneven Revenue Sharing

5 hours ago, babigos said:

UConn football won’t be dropped and doubt they move down. They’ve invested a ton of money into faculities and the program itself. They have deep pockets and want to see it work. 

Is the MAC an option?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

6 hours ago, babigos said:

UConn football won’t be dropped and doubt they move down. They’ve invested a ton of money into faculities and the program itself. They have deep pockets and want to see it work. 

UConn has great facilities & stadium but fan interest is blah because it's a basketball school. I read a while back that if they couldn't be successful in football after all these investments that they would move to the FCS where they could compete and play teams in the region instead of traveling across the country. Of course it all hinged on getting a Big East invite.

17 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

So AAC & MWC expecting increase paydays? 

Maybe, but doubtful.  ESPN (Disney) is going a different direction with their business model.  The big sports contracts and the former highly-paid on-air talent associated were a big drain to the Mothership.  It will be hard to keep paying high premiums for mid-level content (sorry G5'ers, but that's how they see it).

In the biggest news, Disney is going to take all of their content off of Netflix and stream it themselves.  There are other content providers considering the same tactics.

I think that in the future, the bulk of media money for any conference will come from more of an ala carte style mentality with digital streaming.  I think that's where individual programs will have the opportunity to fully prove their value (or lack thereof, as it pertains to some of the lower rung P5 programs).  JMHO...

AAC Commissioner Aresco is making the media rounds today trying to quash rumors. But I notice the hedging in his comments such as saying not "right now".

"I can only make limited comment on any of this right now. We're not asking our schools for anything right now," Aresco said on Sports 560AM/87.7 FM with Wolo and Peter.

<snip>

The commissioner said that even with the report out there, the general particulars with a grant-of-rights agreement aren't what the report made it out to be. Aresco said it'd be a nice incentive for schools to stick with the league and a deterrent for other conferences to poach from the conference, but it doesn't lock schools in as much as the report suggested............"What it means, Dave, is that if someone leaves, their TV rights remain with the conference where they once were".

<snip>

but [he] unequivocally said there won't be an unequal revenue sharing for "bigger" schools within the conference. "Unequal sharing (of revenue) is not who we are, period. It just isn't," the commissioner said.

Aresco highlighted the thought of going with a new media type of company like Amazon or Netflix to distribute content from the conference, but didn't get into specifics.

Full radio interview at:  http://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/American-Athletic-Conference-TV-Deal-Mike-Aresco-report-grant-of-rights-agreement--126209053/

12 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  Independence would be a disaster for UH and the school administration knows it.  As hard as it is for BYU to convince opponents to visit in October and November, it would be even tougher for UH which is a minimum five hour flight each way from other FBS schools.  Coaches hate that kind of travel during the conference season.  As for August and September, even with the Week Zero exemption it's difficult consistently signing non-conference opponents to home-and-homes.

Next year looks good because we have 8 home games but that's a scheduling quirk.  In 2021 we'll be playing 7 road games which I believe is unprecedented in UH history.

I don't think it would be as much of a disaster as you think.  I think UH being successful in the MWC will be more disastrous for UH.  The MWC TV deal takes priority over UH's PPV deal.  That means CBSSN and ESPN can televise as many UH games as they want.  UH doesn't get one dime from the MWC TV deal.  If UH doesn't provide 7 games to Spectrum PPV, then UH will lose about $250k for each game under the 7 required.  UH had a mediocre season in 2016 and lost $250k in 2017 because they only showed 6 PPV games.  2018 was ok, because UH was expected to be bad.  In 2019 UH is expected to be good, and they will have a very attractive home schedule with Arizona, Oregon State, Army, Air Force, Fresno State, and SDSU(6 games) all likely to be televised by CBSSN or ESPN networks.  Then games at Washington and Boise State(2 games) are going to be televised nationally as well.  UH's last game at Nevada was on CBSSN and could also be on the list.   If all those games are selected, that means UH will only have 4 games of inventory for Spectrum.  That means UH loses $750k in TV money for being on semi-national TV(what I call CBSSN). 

While I prefer that UH is in a conference, the current UH-MWC deal sucks so much that independence is really a better option for them financially.  Conference payouts would be different.  In the MWC, UH receives about $1.3 million annually in CFP funds.  However, they lose about $650k to travel subs(and likely $750k next year due to TV).  As an independent, UH will receive about $600k from the CFP, but they won't lose any money due to travel subs as home and homes would cancel costs out over 2 years and they wouldn't lose any TV money(likely make more).

Scheduling will be difficult, but not impossible.  There are more independent teams now than there have been since the early 90s and UConn might join them.  All those teams will be looking to schedule somebody during October and November.  In addition, those teams are also looking for some kind of extra benefit.   Playing a week before everybody might even help.  UH also has the benefit of having good visiting crowds at UNLV and SJSU, schools that typically struggle with attendance.  UH can even schedule them for October/November games.  Add an FCS school on the week before Thanksgiving like SEC schools do and UH will have its late season scheduling covered.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/mike-aresco-refutes-report-of-grant-of-rights-agreement/?irgwc=1&amp;clickid=Q6%3AQi434S319V3mV2W2qjSNHUkgRidQKSSL1Sc0&amp;irgwc=1

"I can only make limited comment on any of this right now. We're not asking our schools for anything right now," Aresco said on Sports 560AM/87.7 FM with Wolo and Peter. "We're in a position right now where we're just talking about a lot of different things. I don't know where this stuff comes from. I really don't."

You need to select the Wolo and Peter in the morning podcast (a direct from the air show capturing it's broadcasts) from December 11 hour 2 and advance to minute 24 to hear the broadcasters intro and Aresco's comments.  The first 24 minutes arew about the NFL

EDIT at 39:20 Aresco says "People said 'well Boise State didn't end up joining your conference therefore your football is not going anywhere'."  

36 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

#secondtierFBSproblems

Don't miss this type of bullshit. FCS sucks, but at least I don't have to give a damn about some AAC carnival barker anymore.

I honestly have found myself enjoying FCS football more and more.  I hope the Vandals get their shit strait so I have a rooting interest.

5 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

UConn has great facilities & stadium but fan interest is blah because it's a basketball school. I read a while back that if they couldn't be successful in football after all these investments that they would move to the FCS where they could compete and play teams in the region instead of traveling across the country. Of course it all hinged on getting a Big East invite.

With due respect, you're conflating UConn football with UConn basketball.

UConn has an on-campus stadium in Storrs but it's a POS which hasn't been the Huskies' home field in 15 years since a soccer stadium was built in Hartford. According to a website I checked is 23 miles from campus. How awful is that? And just who said UConn is rolling in money?

UConn has won just 28 of its last 97 football games and in 2017 average attendance was just 20,335. Considering the dumpster fire of a season 2018 was, it was be surprising if UConn didn't average under 20K.

UConn is a rich man's UNLV. Both schools have had some outstanding basketball seasons but neither has ever managed to put together four consecutive winning seasons in FBS football and there's little reason to think either ever will.

As to the AAC, who wears the bigger dunce cap, Mike Aresco or our very own Craig Thompson?

Boom goes the dynamite.

It's 27.6 miles from Westwood Village to the Rose Bowl and in eastern Connecticut there isn't much traffic into Hartford - and there is more population in western Connecticut which is NY adjac.  LA traffic < CT traffic

I think Uconn wants the Big East more than the Big East wants Uconn.  Providence and St. Johns benefit from Uconn's post-Calhoun era program status and it appears that whatever New York city pipeline existed no longer does for the Huskies men's teams.  Uconn doesn't help the Big East in tv negotiations at all.  They will want to keep their option for the big 12 open, however.

2035-ish is when the big East would seriously consider slicing up their 'pie' more than ten ways because ND would be available.  Notre Dame is the only team that would move the needle for the Big East.  I interpret any vague discussions about an eleventh member to be an allusion to the Irish, not the Huskies.  Uconn could join the ACC if the Notre Dame doesn't become a full member of the ACC (along with Temple) but I doubt it.

I get your point but Pasadena is a great place to tailgate even in November. Hartford? Not so much and is there even grass outside that stadium like there is with the Rose Bowl?

My guess is one thing which really works against the Big East wanting UConn is the same as would work against SDSU being in the WCC. That is, in each case a non-football playing conference composed of smallish private schools (YBU excepted) would be adding a huge public school. Not culturally simpatico.

Boom goes the dynamite.

31 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

With due respect, you're conflating UConn football with UConn basketball.

UConn has an on-campus stadium in Storrs but it's a POS which hasn't been the Huskies' home field in 15 years since a soccer stadium was built in Hartford. According to a website I checked is 23 miles from campus. How awful is that? And just who said UConn is rolling in money?

UConn has won just 28 of its last 97 football games and in 2017 average attendance was just 20,335. Considering the dumpster fire of a season 2018 was, it was be surprising if UConn didn't average under 20K.

UConn is a rich man's UNLV. Both schools have had some outstanding basketball seasons but neither has ever managed to put together four consecutive winning seasons in FBS football and there's little reason to think either ever will.

As to the AAC, who wears the bigger dunce cap, Mike Aresco or our very own Craig Thompson?

The article I read was in regards to the aac adding WSU in basketball. The aac needed to do that move (because UConn has one foot out the door) as a means to replace or try and keep UConn. 

A buddy of mine who has lived in Conn the last 20 years and huge sports fan as ourselves, says UConn wants to be in a better academic conference (big east) and with all their old rivals. With the additions the aac has made UConn sees itself with trailer park society not the high society it thinks it is. 

UConn wants to be in a conference of basketball champions not carrying a league that thinks it's bigger than its britches.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I honestly have found myself enjoying FCS football more and more.  I hope the Vandals get their shit strait so I have a rooting interest.

Gotta graduate his QB son before anything happens.  A team can't have a QB drop back 10 yards from a long shotgun if his max throw is 20 yards.  It's a fukking embarrassment and it keeps our D on the field so they're completely gassed by the half. 

Think on this frustrating fact: Our coach is the highest paid coach in FCS and it isn't even close.  It's like a kick in the balls every time he makes a bad call.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

At least in the FCS every team has a legit chance to win a national championship. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

The article I read was in regards to the aac adding WSU in basketball. The aac needed to do that move (because UConn has one foot out the door) as a means to replace or try and keep UConn. 

A buddy of mine who has lived in Conn the last 20 years and huge sports fan as ourselves, says UConn wants to be in a better academic conference (big east) and with all their old rivals. With the additions the aac has made UConn sees itself with trailer park society not the high society it thinks it is. 

UConn wants to be in a conference of basketball champions not carrying a league that thinks it's bigger than its britches.

Okay, I can imagine Wichita State and Tulsa as trailer park society.  But Tulane, Cincy or the Ponies??  Not so much.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I get your point but Pasadena is a great place to tailgate even in November. Hartford? Not so much and is there even grass outside that stadium like there is with the Rose Bowl?

My guess is one thing which really works against the Big East wanting UConn is the same as would work against SDSU being in the WCC. That is, in each case a non-football playing conference composed of smallish private schools (YBU excepted) would be adding a huge public school. Not culturally simpatico.

One public school in the land of small privates does not cause that much friction. Does the Big East want UConn back?  Likewise, does Gonzaga and the WCC want SDSU?  The Zags' wishes outweigh everyone else's. 

8 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Is the MAC an option?

Unless UConn throws in a few basketball games every year, what's the upside for the MAC?