Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

Rumors of AAC Having GOR or Uneven Revenue Sharing

Sports Business Daily has an article today saying the AAC is considering a Grant of Rights to increase its media contract. SBD says with the GOR, the AAC contract could be 3X or higher from the current contract.

Alternatively, SBD says the league could consider uneven revenue sharing. Interesting given how they had looked at that in regards to Boise.

Regardless, it will come down to how teams look at their realignment possibilities.

Full article and details at:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/12/10/Colleges/AAC.aspx

A little more from SBNation.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/10/18134521/aac-tv-deal-big-12-expansion

The debates about this between AAC fans today makes for interesting reading.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-865893-page-9.html

Given the size of their current and any future TV deal, a GOR isnt going to mean much.  Any school fortunate enough to receive a P5 invite come say 2025 (a key date for the P12 and B12) could cut a check to cover the remaining years and still come out ahead even if their share of the revenue from their new conference was reduced at the beginning (as TCU, WV, Rutgers, Nebraska, et al, had to deal with).

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The most interesting aspect is that a condition of the contract is a grant of rights through 2030 for triple the money which would prevent the individual universities from joining the Big 12 (or Pac 12) in 2024-25.

My prediction is ESPN and the AAC stick on this point and the AAC goes to the open market after the February 2019 exclusive negotiation period.  Fox obviously wants Florida programming and might actually pay triple (or more depending on bidders) so the AAC would be wise to see if they can get that dollar value without the grant of rights as a condition on the open market.

I suppose that a bidding war in March 2019 for the AAC rights would be optimal for MW negotiations in April - June, especially if ESPN loses out on the AAC.

It would also be good to get a deal that expires when the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac 12 do in 2024-25 rather than 2030 or 2035 like the ACC, SEC and Longhorn networks.

"Aresco said that the conference was close to entering a negotiating window with ESPN, a partner that he clearly wants to keep."

The articles are  spin in advance of their negotiations.

Guest #1Stunner

Looks like the Big East Commissioner is hinting at expansion.   Adding 1 additional team.  UConn?

Wonder what would happen to UConn football.  Independent? 

Discussion of a GOR provision makes me think the AAC must be getting concerned that UConn is going to be offered a return to the Big East which it would be crazy not to accept for the additional TV income and greater visibility for its basketball program. My guess is if UConn rejoined the BE it would have its football program go indy and if that proved unsuccessful, just move it to the Patriot League or drop football altogether.

Pea6! Pea6! Pea6!

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Cut the damn dead weight. SJSU & CSU :ph34r:

I think the divide in finances will continue to grow amongst P5 and non P5 schools.  We have some members in the MW that planned on increasing TV $ to justify the move here.  I believe this type of thinking will backfire and turn ugly.  Hawaii and SJ State are two programs that come to mind.  Both will be in trouble.  CSU is in trouble financially for different reasons.  Poor decision making and a continual need to take short cuts have really taken its toll on CSU athletics.  I actually disagree with many here and don’t want CSU dropped from the MW.  SAn Jose and Hawaii will not make it long term.  

3 minutes ago, slappy said:

I think the divide in finances will continue to grow amongst P5 and non P5 schools.  We have some members in the MW that planned on increasing TV $ to justify the move here.  I believe this type of thinking will backfire and turn ugly.  Hawaii and SJ State are two programs that come to mind.  Both will be in trouble.  CSU is in trouble financially for different reasons.  Poor decision making and a continual need to take short cuts have really taken its toll on CSU athletics.  I actually disagree with many here and don’t want CSU dropped from the MW.  SAn Jose and Hawaii will not make it long term.  

Ok

Related image

1 hour ago, fanhood said:

The AAC will get somewhere between $3 million and $5 million. The MW will get somewhere between $2 million, and $4 million. Those moons on the AAC board are fooling themselves. They always have been.

Finish this season with 3 ranked teams and duplicate it again next year, then I can see us earning 4mil each.  

5 hours ago, slappy said:

The 26,000 Warrior fans who've already purchased Hawaii Bowl tickets and 4,000-odd more who will likely join them by game day beg to differ.

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

The 26,000 Warrior fans who've already purchased Hawaii Bowl tickets and 4,000-odd more who will likely join them by game day beg to differ.

I don’t think it is about fan support.  Hawaii has great fans.  Financially it will only get harder and if there is not a significant bump in TV revenue for Hawaii, I can see a push towards independence eventually.  Hawaii and ND are the only schools that could actually make it work.  

18 minutes ago, slappy said:

I don’t think it is about fan support.  Hawaii has great fans.  Financially it will only get harder and if there is not a significant bump in TV revenue for Hawaii, I can see a push towards independence eventually.  Hawaii and ND are the only schools that could actually make it work.  

Respectfully, I disagree.  Independence would be a disaster for UH and the school administration knows it.  As hard as it is for BYU to convince opponents to visit in October and November, it would be even tougher for UH which is a minimum five hour flight each way from other FBS schools.  Coaches hate that kind of travel during the conference season.  As for August and September, even with the Week Zero exemption it's difficult consistently signing non-conference opponents to home-and-homes.

Next year looks good because we have 8 home games but that's a scheduling quirk.  In 2021 we'll be playing 7 road games which I believe is unprecedented in UH history.

46 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I just hope that one day the rust in those beams doesn’t cause a catastrophic failure during a game. I’ve read that the condition of the stadium is getting ugly. 

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Discussion of a GOR provision makes me think the AAC must be getting concerned that UConn is going to be offered a return to the Big East which it would be crazy not to accept for the additional TV income and greater visibility for its basketball program. My guess is if UConn rejoined the BE it would have its football program go indy and if that proved unsuccessful, just move it to the Patriot League or drop football altogether.

Pea6! Pea6! Pea6!

UConn football won’t be dropped and doubt they move down. They’ve invested a ton of money into faculities and the program itself. They have deep pockets and want to see it work. 

9 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I just hope that one day the rust in those beams doesn’t cause a catastrophic failure during a game. I’ve read that the condition of the stadium is getting ugly. 

The engineers who do the inspections say it's still safe, but won't be for much longer unless a lot of money is invested in upgrades.  Hence all the talk about a replacement stadium.

All I know is that every season I look around and see more visible signs of rust damage.  While it's mostly cosmetic, it makes me wonder about what I'm not seeing.