Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada @ 7 in latest AP Poll

Got jumped by Tennessee, which makes sense since they beat Gonzaga.  Just have to keep winning.  

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

36 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Time for Nevada fans to start painting their "We Want Bama!" signs.

“We Want Bama - in basketball”

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

During Kawhi Leonard's final season, SDSU rose to #2 at one point and was still high enough in the polls to garner a 2 seed. That allowed us to play second-week games at the closest venue to school just an hour and a half away in Anaheim. The place was packed with Aztecs and I think that but for a bad luck of the draw and having to play eventual champion UConn, we might have made the Final Four.

With the Aztecs being such a disappointment, we have no realistic shot at an at-large this year so assuming Nevada continues to go undefeated, I'd rather see the Wolf Pack win than SDSU when the teams play during the conference season. Hopefully that will get you a #2 seed too and when the time comes you won't have to play the hottest team in the tournament and it won't be one which despite being a continent away brings more than 5K fans to the game.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

During Kawhi Leonard's final season, SDSU rose to #2 at one point and was still high enough in the polls to garner a 2 seed. That allowed us to play second-week games at the closest venue to school just an hour and a half away in Anaheim. The place was packed with Aztecs and I think that but for a bad luck of the draw and having to play eventual champion UConn, we might have made the Final Four.

With the Aztecs being such a disappointment, we have no realistic shot at an at-large this year so assuming Nevada continues to go undefeated, I'd rather see the Wolf Pack win than SDSU when the teams play during the conference season. Hopefully that will get you a #2 seed too and when the time comes you won't have to play the hottest team in the tournament and it won't be one which despite being a continent away brings more than 5K fans to the game.

That’s what’s so tough about the tournament. Once you get there, the fickleness of that tourney can “ruin” your season in the blink of an eye. See Wichita State’s run in 2014. They ran through the whole season undefeated, got a 1 seed in the Midwest, then lost a heartbreaker in the 2nd round to eventual runner up Kentucky. I don’t care how good a team you are, how well you are playing at the time, a hot team can take you down. See Virginia last season.

9 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

That’s what’s so tough about the tournament. Once you get there, the fickleness of that tourney can “ruin” your season in the blink of an eye. See Wichita State’s run in 2014. They ran through the whole season undefeated, got a 1 seed in the Midwest, then lost a heartbreaker in the 2nd round to eventual runner up Kentucky. I don’t care how good a team you are, how well you are playing at the time, a hot team can take you down. See Virginia last season.

Yeah, the Dance is a crap shoot. Run into a hot team and you are history. You have to be damn good and damn lucky to win it all. Nevada had a helluva run last year. It will be hard for them to duplicate that even with more experience and depth. 

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I was just looking at the parallels between SDSU and Nevada in college basketball reference. Pretty interesting... SDSU has been  ranked in the AP at some point a total of five seasons, and this will be Nevada’s fifth season ranked as well. SDSU has finished the season ranked in the AP poll three times and it looks like this will be Nevada’s third time — barring a collapse. And the highest that website shows SDSU being ranked is 4th and Nevada was 5th a couple of weeks ago. 

Nevada faced some similar teams in their tournament runs when TJ was our coach. We lost to runner up Georgia Tech by 5 in 2004. runner up Illinois in 2005, and Elite 8 Memphis in 2007.

Who is graham couch and what are his whack rankings with GU at #1 and Tennessee, Texas Tech, and Auburn unranked? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

20 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Who is graham couch and what are his whack rankings with GU at #1 and Tennessee, Texas Tech, and Auburn unranked? 

Hes making a point about the bluebloods not playing o  The road. Only at home or neutral sites. 

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah, the Dance is a crap shoot. Run into a hot team and you are history. You have to be damn good and damn lucky to win it all. Nevada had a helluva run last year. It will be hard for them to duplicate that even with more experience and depth. 

I just think “cincy had a good season last year and was ahead for 39:51 of the game and they got bounced in the 2nd round”. Winning a game in the tourney is really tough 

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The 1-4 seeds get to play close to home. So long as the selection committee has us in their top 16, we're good.

Even if we run the table, we still wouldn't get a 2 seed.  There just isn't a chance for another good win. What sucks is we have plenty of chances for a bad loss. Maybe we can get away with one, but not two.  We'd drop too far with two losses, which could happen.

I think a 3 seed is the best we can do and we might have to go undefeated to get that. 

No one is predicting we go undefeated.

I just hope we don't get the dreaded 5 seed. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The 1-4 seeds get to play close to home. So long as the selection committee has us in their top 16, we're good.

Even if we run the table, we still wouldn't get a 2 seed.  There just isn't a chance for another good win. What sucks is we have plenty of chances for a bad loss. Maybe we can get away with one, but not two.  We'd drop too far with two losses, which could happen.

I think a 3 seed is the best we can do and we might have to go undefeated to get that. 

No one is predicting we go undefeated.

I just hope we don't get the dreaded 5 seed. 

Actually I can’t remeber what site but Nevada has the best odds of going undefeated. Real-time tip predicts zero losses and another site I can’t remeber. 17% chance. That’s pretty good. I think Nevada is still safe as a 2 seed if they finish the regular season with 3 losses. 1 loss gets them a 1 seed. 

34-0 or 33-1 = 1 seed

32-2 or 31-3 = 2 seed

30-4.            = 3 seed

29-5.            = 4 seed

28-6.            = 5 seed