Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Utah State rehires Gary Anderson

14 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

This is what we believed about Davie and now we're trying to convince ourselves that since he isn't going anywhere.

Well he did drag us out of that hole we were in. I guess I just don't like all the excuses he is coming up with now. 

Interesting to see the coaches that had shown interest, been interviewed, or had an interview scheduled; Mark Helfrich, Rich Rodriguez, Matt Canada, Beau Baldwin (former E. Washington HC), Jay Hill (Weber St. HC), Mike Yurcich (Okie St. OC).

I think both Baldwin and Hill would have been interesting candidates to jump to the FBS HC level and probably would be successful but Andersen was going to be hard to beat out once the boosters got involved.

Andersen never sold his home in Logan after leaving to Wisconsin and many Aggie fans felt he would return at some point in the future to be involved in the program but I don't think anyone thought he would be returning to replace the guy who replaced him.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

This is really great.

Some coaches can do better coaching G5’s rather than P5’s.  Another example would be Terford.  He was struggling at CAL. 

Cal has the same problem as Oregon St, they are in a division with Washington, Stanford, Oregon and WSU (all who have things going currently)

I hope for the bowl game, the team will take this game upon their shoulders and make a strong statement to finish the season.

IT WAS THE TEAM AND THE AGGIE BROTHERHOOD THAT PRODUCED THIS BREAKOUT SEASON

MUCH MORE THAN IT WAS ANY COACHES...

Players make plays.  Players win games.

Go Aggies!

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

Cal has the same problem as Oregon St, they are in a division with Washington, Stanford, Oregon and WSU (all who have things going currently)

That’s partly the problem, but there’s a lot more to it. Another part of it is the big machine of a P5 bringing in tons of money, lots of donations and influence. If that machine is dysfunctional from the prez on down like it has been at CAL, it’ll make it harder to get success on the field.

Look at how they fvcked up trying to hire Muss away. The total dysfunction became apparent and it gave us time to ever so slightly offer a better deal than CAL. CAL should’ve been offering more than that if they were serious about winning. Now they’re so pissed that they had this guy and let him get away. But that was waaaaay before Muss realized that he could actually win at Nevada. Last years run changed his outlook on staying. Frankly, his personality will thrive at a school like Nevada, but lots of other P5’s with all the pressure and hardcore politics, culture etc. would make him miserable, and I think he realizes that to a certain extent. Keeping Muss like a Mark Few is pretty much up to Prez Johnson and whether he’ll step up and stop being an athletics slum lord. If he just forgave a little debt and funded the AD at the MWC average, we would have the money to keep Muss long term. 

At G5’s, if you have a good AD, you can really run your own show if you’ve got potential for success. I can guarantee you Tedford can do a lot more things and do them better at Fresno. Certainly the academic requirements aren’t as strict at Fresno which certainly can help. 

kat.jpg

On 12/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, Jimbo_Poke said:

I suspect at worst Utah State will be competitive with this hire.  The smack down his team laid down on Wyoming in 2011...

The idea of rehiring a previous coach has given me the inspiration to begin operation Frankenpoke we will build a coach meshing together Devaney, Roach, Tiller and you won't know what hit you.  Trick will be weeding out the gene that makes Nebraska and Purdue seem like desirable gigs...

No worries! We have 3 bodies, we make 3 franken pokes. At best we get it right with the first one, at worst we have great continuity for 2 frankens getting hired away before we have our keeper. Bonus is getting a competent AD!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 hours ago, Bob said:

Retread alert! No magic is left in that old silk hat

I think you are wrong.

Matt Wells was a pretty good coach for us and there is really not much  angst over his departure.

Gary Andersen was also a solid coach for us, but the excitement levels among the players for his return is off the charts!

We will see. 

11 minutes ago, ag4fr said:

I think you are wrong.

Matt Wells was a pretty good coach for us and there is really not much  angst over his departure.

Gary Andersen was also a solid coach for us, but the excitement levels among the players for his return is off the charts!

We will see. 

Responding to the clown Bob only encourages him/her. I even hesitate to mention him/her by name. Do not feed the trolls. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

giphy-29.gif

46 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Responding to the clown Bob only encourages him/her. I even hesitate to mention him/her by name. Do not feed the trolls. 

Come on guys, it is generally acceptable to ask him about specific Air Force personnel/ coaches

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.