Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Utah State rehires Gary Anderson

The perfect hire. Andersen has already won there, and will do so again. Most importantly, he will stay for the rest of his career. The only way that the MW improves, is if they hire good coaches, and keep them. The only way to keep them is to hire winners, that have already been elsewhere.

1 hour ago, BroncoOrange said:

This is an interesting hire. It would be like Dan Hawkins getting rehired at BSU.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing that if Harsin were to leave. He's killing it at Davis. 

I suspect at worst Utah State will be competitive with this hire.  The smack down his team laid down on Wyoming in 2011...

The idea of rehiring a previous coach has given me the inspiration to begin operation Frankenpoke we will build a coach meshing together Devaney, Roach, Tiller and you won't know what hit you.  Trick will be weeding out the gene that makes Nebraska and Purdue seem like desirable gigs...

6 hours ago, fanhood said:

The perfect hire. Andersen has already won there, and will do so again. Most importantly, he will stay for the rest of his career. The only way that the MW improves, is if they hire good coaches, and keep them. The only way to keep them is to hire winners, that have already been elsewhere.

This is what we believed about Davie and now we're trying to convince ourselves that since he isn't going anywhere.

17 hours ago, BroncoOrange said:

This is an interesting hire. It would be like Dan Hawkins getting rehired at BSU.

Not even comparable. Hawkins took over in a great situation.  Andersen turned around a culture of what may have been the worst FBS program in the country (at least in the bottom 3) and turned them into a 11-2 team that could play with anyone.  If they had a FG kicker that could hit chip shots they would have been undefeated.   I know it was the WAC but the WAC had a higher RPI than the MW in 2011 and his team beat a hot La Tech team and SJSU's ranked team on the road.  They beat an average Utah. Had Wisconsin dead to rights and had their only bad game in the 6-3 Zoob loss in Provo.

Gary is an unbelievable recruiter with local kids and has already  turned a WSU commit from Utah.  

Are there questions?  Of course.   Something bad went down at OSU from all reports and at the very least the stress got to him in a serious way mentally when his team opened the 3rd year so bad.  He also did a terrible job with his coordinators taking 2 guys USU was glad to have off their hands.  So his staff is critical. But as far as motivation, recruiting the state of Utah, finding walk  ons and diamonds in the rough locally, and especially his Poly connections.

The difference I think between Gary and Wells to a great extent is that the team hated and then tolerated Wells as he grew as a coach but everyone that plays or coaches for Gary would run through a brick wall for him.  His teams here from the get go believed they could play with anyone while Wells teams struggled with adversity and wilted from the get go in tough environments.

I say all of this with a huge grain of salt because OSU happened.   I think he inherited little there, made a bit of progress and then for whatever reason the wheels fell off with rumors of a bunch of personal issues and possibly a mental breakdown.  The two mediocre coordinators he took from USU didn't help.

How much is true who knows, but in my mind he's well worth the risks he brings.   USU could have hired a coach to be good the next couple of years at which point he's taking bigger money and will probably leave the recruiting shelf entirely bare.   There are only a few coaches who can have long term recruiting success at USU and it has to be based on the model Andersen set of having great Poly pipelines and connections,  being able to utilize the missionary system for lineman/LBs in particular along with aggressive recruiting for skill guys in Texas, Florida, and California.  He also has an incredible eye for diamond in the rough walk ons  who are football junky types..i.e. Zack Vigil and 3-4 of the O-lineman from the 2012 team.  If Gary's mind is right this gives the Aggies a chance to be solid and stable for a long time to come and next year could be really exciting if he gets the right staff together and can find a 2-3 JC Dbs.