Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Long Beach State at Fresno State

He was the 2nd best offensive player on the team his junior year at NMSU but would have gotten edged out for the starter's position last year so he transferred. It's good to hear he's finally found a place where he can shine and be closer to home. I liked watching him play.

17 hours ago, ZK686 said:

What happened to LBSU? I remember for a while there they were getting some national attention..

They pulled a Pat Hill (anyone, anywhere, anytime) sch model. That got them some attention and lined our coaches pocket (Monson got to keep x number of the "money games" payouts for himself). We beat a top 10 Pitt one year (kinda like when Fresno beat Oregon State in football back in 2001. Looked liked a great win when it happened BUT buy the end of the year both teams OSU in football and Pitt in basketball were terrible). 

We had ONE great recruiting class which lead us to the NCAAT when they were seniors (2012 I believe) and lost a game we should have won to the #5 seed New Mexico.

Since that point LBSU has been under performing. I mean other than Hawaii they have the best basketball arena, good facilities overall, are a CSU (ie easier academic standards than the UC's in the conference), and have one of the best locations in the conference (I would rank them #3 behind UC Santa Barbara and Hawaii). 

No reason LBSU should be top 4 every year in the BW and making the NCAAT at least every 4-5 years.  

Having no depth in the back court, losing Bryson Williams and Eric Villa to UTEP  and losing Deshon Taylor for at least a month to a dislocated elbow I couldn't be happier with the results.  Through every adversity Coach Hutson has proved to be an excellent coach and has his team prepared.  The future is looking bright.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

26 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

They pulled a Pat Hill (anyone, anywhere, anytime) sch model. That got them some attention and lined our coaches pocket (Monson got to keep x number of the "money games" payouts for himself). We beat a top 10 Pitt one year (kinda like when Fresno beat Oregon State in football back in 2001. Looked liked a great win when it happened BUT buy the end of the year both teams OSU in football and Pitt in basketball were terrible). 

We had ONE great recruiting class which lead us to the NCAAT when they were seniors (2012 I believe) and lost a game we should have won to the #5 seed New Mexico.

Since that point LBSU has been under performing. I mean other than Hawaii they have the best basketball arena, good facilities overall, are a CSU (ie easier academic standards than the UC's in the conference), and have one of the best locations in the conference (I would rank them #3 behind UC Santa Barbara and Hawaii). 

No reason LBSU should be top 4 every year in the BW and making the NCAAT at least every 4-5 years.  

Again with this garbage? I thought only UC snobs believed that myth. Academic and athletic acceptance are completely different. Do you think Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson had 4.3 GPA’s in HS? Rumor was that Jackson could legitimately not even read while at Berkeley. Minimum standards on athletic scholarships at UC’s are the same as CSU’s  

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

50 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Again with this garbage? I thought only UC snobs believed that myth. Academic and athletic acceptance are completely different. Do you think Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson had 4.3 GPA’s in HS? Rumor was that Jackson could legitimately not even read while at Berkeley. Minimum standards on athletic scholarships at UC’s are the same as CSU’s  

UC San Diego's AD has been saying otherwise.  But we'll see if they maintain their standards after they join Division 1

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

UC San Diego's AD has been saying otherwise.  But we'll see if they maintain their standards after they join Division 1

May be true. I was talking mostly about Berkeley and UCLA. Shit, that’s what got Tedford ultimately fired from Cal. Recruited too many dummies. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

4 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Not saying the requirements to get in as a regular student would be the exact same as a student athlete. Obviously I don't think the average Cal Poly basketball player has a 3.92 high school GPA. But I could very easily see Cal Poly having a higher athletic threshold than say a school like LBSU who students have an average high school gpa of 3.54. 

For one this article shows Cal Poly freshman athletes have to maintain a 2.0 GPA instead of the NCAA required 1.8 GPA. No I do not know the ins and outs of every athletic department but little things like this do make a difference with your recruiting ability. 

Also it is far easier to enforce higher academic standard with a 13 scholarship sport  with 541k high school athletes compared to a 85 scholarship sport with 1 mil high school student athletes.  I know Cal Poly does have a football team but some of the other schools with higher academic standards in the Big West do not.