Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Prepare thy rear orface, there's a new sherriff in Logan, Lord Gary Andersen

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

They won one game in conference, lost most by three scores or more and beat a Big Sky team.

It was his first year and he inherited a program that Andersen just killed.  I'm not saying Andersen can't do good things at Utah State, but he surely left Oregon State way worse than how he found it.  Let's not ignore his failures, because this was a big one.

20 hours ago, aggzilla said:

He might be the only one I can think of, at least in CFB.

Since we are discussing Anderson's tenure at OSU, Mike Riley did about the same in his second stint at OSU than he did in his first.

22 hours ago, aggzilla said:

The dude was awful at OSU, not to mention having a full-out breakdown on the job a little over a year ago. No way is he ready to take the reins of a program. Lets say that, today, KWhitt takes a job somewhere else and Urban announces his candidacy for the job. Even say the doctors clear him and tell him he’s fit. Do you take him back, no hesitation whatsoever?

He lost to Mike Bobo for god sakes.

On 12/8/2018 at 4:41 PM, AggieSox said:

Wells Ain’t better then GA.  Come on man.  GA rebuilt the place. 

Read my OP again.  That’s what I said.

GA IS AN UPGRADE compared to Wells.

I agree with folks questioning this hire. I could coach Wisky to 10 wins. Very simple formula and Alvarez is really the one calling shots on the field anyways. 

I love what Gary did for Utah and I think he was on to something at USU. But things change and people lose their edge and mojo. 

The OSU situation just can’t be overlooked. He failed and basically threw the whole school under the bus. This is also his most recent HC job. He quit on his kids and that’s never ok.

Maybe the USU environment is his magic. I hope he does well. But if KW left UTAH, I wouldn’t want GA as our coach.  Too many questions for me.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Chris Ault?  

On 12/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, aggzilla said:

He might be the only one I can think of, at least in CFB.

Chris Ault never left Reno.  He was a player, coach and AD there.  It is not the same as leaving, making three stops and then trying to come back.

22 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Jim Sweeney at Fresno State comes to mind.  Bill Walsh won a Pac 10 title at Stanford in 1992 during his second tenure.

Jim Sweeney is another example of a coach that didn't leave for a different job so that doesn't count in my mind.  Did he live in Fresno during those few years where he didn't coach?

Bill Walsh went 17-17-1 during his second stint at Stanford.  In 1992, he had a good season with Dennis Green's players but things fell apart after that-- and his team didn't go to the Rose Bowl because they got blown out by Washington.  It wasn't a great team, certainly not a true conference champ.  They played in the Blockbuster Bowl...

7 hours ago, tspoke said:

Since we are discussing Anderson's tenure at OSU, Mike Riley did about the same in his second stint at OSU than he did in his first.

Mike Riley was 8-14 in his first stint at OSU and 85-66 in his second stint, so he is definitely an exception as he was much better the second time around-- though the program was also in a much better place when he took it over that second time.