Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Prepare thy rear orface, there's a new sherriff in Logan, Lord Gary Andersen

2 hours ago, AggieSox said:

Wells Ain’t better then GA.  Come on man.  GA rebuilt the place. 

Texas Tech hired Wells, I didn't hear that they offered GA.

Just one teams opinion.

If it goes down with GA returning, count me as extremely disappointed with the hire. I’m in utter disbelief at how many on the USU board are actually in favor of this hire, almost as if they have zero confidence that anyone else could come in and generate success and build upon what Wells left us, but rather shrivel back to a formula that is ‘tried and true’. I can’t think of a single instance where a coach exceeded the success he achieved the first time around. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

1 hour ago, aggzilla said:

If it goes down with GA returning, count me as extremely disappointed with the hire. I’m in utter disbelief at how many on the USU board are actually in favor of this hire, almost as if they have zero confidence that anyone else could come in and generate success and build upon what Wells left us, but rather shrivel back to a formula that is ‘tried and true’. I can’t think of a single instance where a coach exceeded the success he achieved the first time around. 

Well....I guess it depends.  He could be a good fit for USU since he has done the P5 gigs.  He would be there for quite some time which is what a program needs if he keeps USU winning.

It would be better than finding a coach that would in 2 years and have to go through this all again.

3 hours ago, aggzilla said:

Chris Ault?  

disappointed in getting the only coach that ever got USU to 11 wins (also won 11 games with Wiscy)

you'd rather go with an unknown?

:hmmm: I don't understand some Aggie fans

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

disappointed in getting the only coach that ever got USU to 11 wins (also won 11 games with Wiscy)

you'd rather go with an unknown?

:hmmm: I don't understand some Aggie fans

The dude was awful at OSU, not to mention having a full-out breakdown on the job a little over a year ago. No way is he ready to take the reins of a program. Lets say that, today, KWhitt takes a job somewhere else and Urban announces his candidacy for the job. Even say the doctors clear him and tell him he’s fit. Do you take him back, no hesitation whatsoever?

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

1 hour ago, aggzilla said:

The dude was awful at OSU, not to mention having a full-out breakdown on the job a little over a year ago. No way is he ready to take the reins of a program. Lets say that, today, KWhitt takes a job somewhere else and Urban announces his candidacy for the job. Even say the doctors clear him and tell him he’s fit. Do you take him back, no hesitation whatsoever?

This is a high risk potentially high reward hire. USU can’t build a program if we lose every head coach that has a modicum of success. GA is more likely to stay if he has success (so we’ve been told). That said, things ended ugly in OSU. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

21 hours ago, AggieSox said:

Wells Ain’t better then GA.  Come on man.  GA rebuilt the place. 

I think he was suggesting GA is better by saying “Los Aggies upgrade” and then saying he wished CSU would hire GA as their new HC. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Not just yes, but hell yes.  Urban is the best thing to ever happen to Utah football.  I'd also take back Rick Majerus if you're asking.

Are there bad feelings with Gary because he left for another job?  I just dont understand.  This seems like it's as close to a HR hire as there is.

I won't say anymore.

4 hours ago, aggzilla said:

Six wins is the pinnacle of success at OSU. For some reason, that is a tough place place to put together a winning season. 

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

This is a high risk potentially high reward hire. USU can’t build a program if we lose every head coach that has a modicum of success. GA is more likely to stay if he has success (so we’ve been told). That said, things ended ugly in OSU. 

The guy won briefly at Wisconsin but every report I've heard is he left because he couldn't deal with the pressure in football crazy Madison so you can eliminate him leaving for any high visibility P5 job. Knowing a bit about Corvallis, I can't imagine a more low-key P5 job than OSU yet Andersen apparently couldn't handle that job either. So I see no way he will ever coach at a P5 school again unless it's as a coordinator. There are some G5 jobs, particularly in the AAC, which pay much better than USU will ever be able to do so if he wins again at USU he could presumably leave again for one of those.

BTW, in saying the above, I'm not trying to be critical as I don't think my nerves could stand being a head football coach at a P5 school.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, jackmormon said:

Six wins is the pinnacle of success at OSU. For some reason, that is a tough place place to put together a winning season. 

and yet the two people who were the head coaches immediately before Andersen had much more success.  Riley had four seasons with 9 or more wins and Erickson had an 11 win season.

11 hours ago, aggzilla said:

I can’t think of a single instance where a coach exceeded the success he achieved the first time around. 

Jim Sweeney at Fresno State comes to mind.  Bill Walsh won a Pac 10 title at Stanford in 1992 during his second tenure.

24 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

and yet the two people who were the head coaches immediately before Andersen had much more success.  Riley had four seasons with 9 or more wins and Erickson had an 11 win season.

How did Gary's  successor do?

Oregon St has to compete against Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Washington St.  That's a losing battle that Riley and Erickson didn't have to deal with

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

How did Gary's  successor do?

Oregon St has to compete against Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Washington St.  That's a losing battle that Riley and Erickson didn't have to deal with

He has only been there one year and he doubled his win total from Gary's last season.  He also won a road game which is something that Gary didn't do in three and a half years at Oregon State.

4 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

He has only been there one year and he doubled his win total from Gary's last season.  He also won a road game which is something that Gary didn't do in three and a half years at Oregon State.

They won one game in conference, lost most by three scores or more and beat a Big Sky team.