Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV AT ILLINOIS

DATE: Saturday, December 8
TIME: 11 a.m. PT / 1 p.m. CT
SITE: State Farm Center (15,500), Champaign, Illinois
TV: Big Ten Network (Jeff Levering, Deon Thomas)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith, sideline reporter: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com

This will mark the fifth meeting between UNLV and Illinois over the last nine seasons

Illinois leads the all-time series 4-2

UNLV is 1-0 on the road vs. Illinois (game was played in Chicago in 2011), but has never played in Champaign

UNLV won the last meeting (89-82), which was last season (Dec. 9) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas

UNLV is 23-13 all-time against teams that currently make up the Big Ten Conference

Illinois has lost three straight games, including two in conference play: at Notre Dame (76-74), at No. 24/25 Nebraska (75-60) and vs. No. 19/17 Ohio State (77-67)

Head coach Brad Underwood is in his second year at Illinois with a record of 16-25 (.390) and in his sixth year overall with a career mark of 125-52 (.706)

UNLV is led in scoring by senior guard Kris Clyburn’s 11.7 ppg, while senior forward Shakur Juiston is averaging just shy of a double-double with 11.0 ppg and a team-leading 9.6 rpg. Juiston is fourth in the Mountain West in rebounding and ranks 33rd in the country. Sophomore guard Amauri Hardy is also averaging double figures in scoring at 10.3 ppg. Sophomore forward Mbacke Diong leads the team and league in blocks (2.3 bpg, 31st in the nation), while senior guard Noah Robotham is the team’s assists leader (3.9 apg).

Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,046 games played

UNLV is holding its opponents to just 64.4 points per game so far this season, which ranks No. 1 in the Mountain West. The Runnin’ Rebels are also first in the conference in offensive rebounding (14.7 rpg, 12th in the country) and blocks (5.0 bpg, 39th in the country). The Runnin’ Rebels rank second in the league in rebound margin (+11.0, 11th in the country), rebounds per game (41.0 rpg, 36th in the country) and limiting their opponents rebounds (30.0 rpg)

UNLV has out-rebounded each of its first seven opponents this season

Amauri Hardy's scoring avg is at a season high 10.3 ppg

Robotham & Juiston combined to go 0-7 in FG's against Cincinnati 

Illinois is also a young team with 5 Freshmen and 3 Sophomores. 2 of those Freshmen and 1 Sophomore in their top 5 in minutes. They have played a more challenging schedule to this point so they are more seasoned and prepared to this point. They also have a proven coach that has stepped up a level in competition and is unproven at that higher level. I have not seen them play yet but with this game being at home for them they should have a comfort level to run their game plan. Overall they play solid team ball, hit FT's and don't turn the ball over too much. 

Rebel's 1st road game going into a challenging environment. We have 2 Freshman in our top 8 which should  be about all we would play in this game short of another total team breakdown. Team play in the Cincy game gave me a tad of hope though. If we play another one of those games we lose by 4-6. If we play like our previous 6 games then it will be ugly especially in the 2nd half. While our team is still unknown our coaching certainly is known which is why I wouldn't give us a chance of winning outright. Overall we haven't found a consistent offense, don't hit FT's and turn the ball over way too much.

Who knows, maybe Illinois will be looking past us to the East Tennessee Buccaneers. Ahhhhh, no, this is their chance for a much needed win at home. I am still hoping to win a game as an underdog at some point this year and here is our 2nd opportunity. We've already lost 2 as favorites. 

Im on big 10 network site right now and it says the game they have will be SAN JOSE ST vs Nebraska. WTF?!?!

EDIT: Now I found the UNLV game but it says I need a TV provider to stream.  WTF is up with that?  Sigh, guess I'll have to go to a bar to watch it.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/6/2018 at 5:20 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

This is a winnable game, even though it's your first road game.

A win on the road against a P5 team could do wonders for the confidence and moral of a young team.

Good luck Rebs.

Posted and liked by reno fans.

Morale?

I went to the Illinois-Nebraska game last week.  I would think that they have to be the worst team in the Big 10.  They have played a tough schedule, but they are also just terrible.  I turned on the game at 9-9 and have been watching for a few minutes with ugly shots in abundance for both teams.