Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV AT ILLINOIS

32 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Is @qwelish a @ph90702 sock? Serious question.

Otherwise qwelish is putting together a run to rival ph for most retarded unlv fan on this site. 

@mugtang

Nope not a sock. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

59 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Otherwise qwelish is putting together a run to rival ph for most retarded unlv fan on this site. 

Says the guy who obviously knows less about basketball than a 1st year girl scout.

You wouldnt happen to have anyone in your family who is special needs, would you? Pretty tasteless choice of words 702.

23 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I gave him facts regarding the level of players Menzies has landed, and he had no response.

PH,  I do not have time to check how many 3 star, 4 star and 5 star players Menzies has recruited at UNLV. Fortunately I am sure you have that information handy so when you get the chance please inform me. I know there were no all american players that he recruited but please also inform me of  the all conference MWC players Menzies brought in. This will prove your point I suspect. Thanks much

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

From the tiny bit of time Woodbury has played, I've seen nothing overly positive out of him - His shot isn't falling (for the few he taken) and his man defense is suspect. Could be a residual effect of the knee injury he sustained in the off season, so I'm not tossing him out just yet. But he hasn't been the "shooter" that was advertised coming in.

Hardy is the guy driving (and driving out of control at times) - Good to see his aggressiveness but the problem with the slash and pass is that UNLV's bigs don't really have the hands yet to catch and finish with those quick off the cuff  dump passes in the paint. Think this will improve with time as Diong, Ntwambe & Dembele get more used to this.

Robo hasn't lived up to expectations IMO yet. His shot isn't consistent and he's made some real suspect decisions and passes as PG . Still time to get his game tightened up, but if he doesn't improve, then UNLV is basically without a decent PG for the season.

Biggest positives are Diong, JTT & Ntwambe - Think these 3 will do nothing but improve as time passes. Hardy could use some help in having a similar style player and in time Hamilton could be his counterpart. Hamilton has shown signs and things should only get better in his all around game.

Beck is a bit of a concern. Not sure if it's weight or conditioning, but he's not been much of a factor in games. Again, this is a thing that should get better with time.

Juiston needs rebound like a mad man, get the put backs and play defense - He should be a double double machine most times out. Juiston isn't a "got to guy" but he needs to be the constant that UNLV has lacked so far.

Personally I'd like to see Menzies use the overall depth of the roster to press more, play a bit more up tempo. There's not a big fall off in talent from the top 5 to the next 5 players, so use that depth to some advantage and wear teams down. When UNLV has gone to a press/pressure defense it's worked most of the time - extend this to longer stretches as I think it can wear on opponents, especially once MWC games stat. There's a good number of MWC that this could make the difference on. 

The MWC is looking like Nevada & the 11 dwarfs so far. SJSU, AF, Wyo, BSU & CSU are pretty bad so UNLV needs to get these wins, then there's UNM, USU, CSU  which is the group UNLV is probably more on par with......SDSU isn't anything like their recent teams so if UNLV can take care of business against the bottom teams, split with their peer teams and maybe steal one vs SDSU, I could see UNLV being in the hunt for 3rd place or even 2nd (if all goes just right)......but if UNLV has issues then a 6th place finish isn't out of the question.

My position on this season is that it's a building project and Menzies is still working on the foundation - the foundation are the freshmen & sophomores......if we see marked improvement from them and adding in some good recruits, the coming years should be better than the previous years. The expectations for this season should be tempered and the real focus should be on 2019-20 and beyond. 

- Kendall Wallace shot 20% from 3 his freshman year. I think Woodbury is a more athletic, better ball handling and passing version of Wallace. Same size, but his defensive and overall ceiling as a player I see as much higher than Wallace.

- The hands of the bigs is why I dont think Amauri should be driving and dishing much. He should be screened for and the bigs should trail him and play garbage men after he attacks the basket. Watching yesterdays game, the defense had to sell out to stop him. Easy O boards for Diong, JTT and Juis cleaning up because their man had to help off of them. Right now, Amauri going toward the basket is the only way this team creates double teams. Your offense should work to force the defense to double. Amauri attacking does that.

- If Menzies goes with the platoon approach, Robotham's role will have to stay as is or expand. Could go with Clyburn, but Robotham is a better play maker who thinks the game much better than his athletic ability. If you look at his per 100, defensive win shares and advanced metrics he is a plus defender and somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd best defender on the team. He is the only player on the team with anything near a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and a leads in assists by a pretty good margin. I think he should be moved primarily to SG with a lot of ISO and P&R for Amauri. That is what I feel the offensive identity of this years team should be. Right now the team has no offensive identity and I think Marvin is still searching for it.

- We see the MWC similarly, for sure! If I typed UNLV could be in the hunt for 3rd, you know who's would be go crazy attacking me for it. I see its not whats said here, its who's saying it and how they feel about you. So whatever. I posted something earlier about how I feel UNLV could or should fare in the MWC. 

- We also see the state of the program in a similar light. This year is a teaching and learning year. People here get so worked up game to game, that they are losing sight of the bigger picture, which is the continued growth and stability of the PROGRAM. The improvement between freshman and sophomore years for Hamilton, Woodbury and JTT could be dramatic! Plus adding Bangai who is nearly forgotten about. Next years team I think will be much, much better than this one. I am genuinely excited about what is on the roster, sitting out and coming in next season, and its possible that Marv adds another impact player.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I’m not sure why people expect Menzies to be fired when Sanchez wasn’t.  Don’t regale me with the Fertitta money either.  He would have been back regardless.

PH, this is the best and most indisputable truth you have written on this long series of posts. You may disagree but it is clear evidence that UNLV no longer gives a  damn about their sports programs. That is a sad and sorry fact indeed and one that UNLV sports fans such as yourself do NOT deserve.

11 minutes ago, the former 1066 said:

PH,  I do not have time to check how many 3 star, 4 star and 5 star players Menzies has recruited at UNLV. Fortunately I am sure you have that information handy so when you get the chance please inform me. I know there were no all american players that he recruited but please also inform me of  the all conference MWC players Menzies brought in. This will prove your point I suspect. Thanks much

Menzies 1st class:

Troy Baxter - 4 star

Cheick Dembele - 3 star

Zion Morgan - 3 star

Ben Coupet - 3 star

Mooring & Clyburn - JC

Marv's 2nd Class: Ranked 16th nationally by Scout

Brandon McCoy - 5 star McD's All American

Shakur Juiston - 4 star JC 

Mbacke Diong - 4 star

Amauri Hardy - 3 star

Tervell Beck - 3 star

Jay Green - 3 Star

Marvelous' 3rd Class:

Bryce Hamilton - 4 star

Joel Ntambwe - 3 star

Trey Woodbury - 3 star

Next years class so far:

Josh Pierre-Louis and Ethan Anderson both 3 star

23 minutes ago, the former 1066 said:

Brandon McCoy was a McDonald’s All-American.  Every recruit that Menzies has brought in since the spring of 2017 has had multiple P5 offers.

1 minute ago, Amaru523 said:

Menzies 1st class:

Troy Baxter - 4 star

Cheick Dembele - 3 star

Zion Morgan - 3 star

Ben Coupet - 3 star

Mooring & Clyburn - JC

Marv's 2nd Class: Ranked 16th nationally by Scout

Brandon McCoy - 5 star McD's All American

Shakur Juiston - 4 star JC 

Mbacke Diong - 4 star

Amauri Hardy - 3 star

Tervell Beck - 3 star

Jay Green - 3 Star

Marvelous' 3rd Class:

Bryce Hamilton - 4 star

Joel Ntambwe - 3 star

Trey Woodbury - 3 star

Next years class so far:

Josh Pierre-Louis and Ethan Anderson both 3 star

Menzies has been recruiting program players to establish a core.  I think in 2020 and beyond, he will start targeting five star guys like a Julian Strawther, Jaden Hardy, and Jonathan Kuminga who can come in and impact the game right away.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Get what done? Take us to MWC #3?

Kruger only finished 3rd or above twice. And it took him 3 years to do it, so.....

4th (took over program with 2 NBA players and Romel Beck played pro)

4th

2nd

2nd

5th

3rd

3rd

1 hour ago, Amaru523 said:

Ethan Anderson both 3 star

I re-did some of this list based on what I could recall and what I found online. Not sure what the purpose of the list is and not sure where some of the star ratings came from.

Ethan Anderson - 4 star ESPN

Amauri Hardy - 3.5 star

Josh Pierre Louis - 3 star

Louis Bangai - 3 star

Marvin Coleman II - 3 star

Bryce Hamilton - 3 star (could not find a 4 star rating anywere, although I do recall him being a 4 star at some point.)

Joel Ntambwe - 3 star

Noah Robotham - 2.3 star (senior walk on transfer)

Cheikh Mbacke Diong - 2 star (grossly underrated)

Jay Green - 2 star

Zion Morgan - 2 star

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua - 2 star (seems pretty underrated as well)

Menzies has done very well with 4 star recruits. They have all made an impact. 

Ntambwe is looking pretty underrated at this point. Day one starter and immediate defensive impact.

Seems like Menzies gotten better with selecting 3 stars as he's gone along.

At this point, even the walk ons are 3 star recruits and could be better than some of the scholarship players.

Curious to see how JPL fits into things and what is role will be.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

You wouldnt happen to have anyone in your family who is special needs, would you? Pretty tasteless choice of words 702.

Tasteless? Don’t tell me using retarded to describe idiots like yourself is offensive. Please go push your pc bullshit somewhere else. I wouldn’t call a person with down syndrome retarded. But individuals like yourself and ph...

edit: and I’m not using it in the form of describing someone as mentally handicapped. Part of the definition:

a foolish or stupid person 

i.e. you and ph

Its funny seeing some of you talk about our relevancy. Saying things like "whens the last time you were relevant" or acting like we're the Indians from Major League..."free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant". That would be Wyoming. I was 12 when we torched Duke, I'm 40 now, even guys that were 30 are still only in their 50's. It wasn't really that long ago, stop acting like we won 50 years ago.

"What have you guys done since Tark?"  What have any of your teams done..............EVER? How many basketball National Championship banners hang in your rafters? Final Fours? How many HBO specials do your teams have? How many top 50 greatest teams of all time lists are you guys on? Oh you have a Sweet 16 banner? That's cute, so do we post Tark. Yes we suck now due to a completely incompetent administration, but they're gone and we'll be back, even if we don't ever come back, we'll still have accomplished far more than any other team in this conference. Sorry rant over.