Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV AT ILLINOIS

13 minutes ago, qwelish said:

A major problem is people are putting their opinions into my mouth. I have consistently said that I do not know if Marvin will get it done. I have also said that I do not care who the coach is. 

What I do care about is the UNLV mens basketball program. Right now, the program requires stability more than anything. There is no way that firing a coach after the well noted dumpster fire that was UNLV basketball, 2 to 3 years in is good for this program. 

I view Menzies as somewhere between Spoonhour and a notch above Kruger(unproven I know). There is no way to know until probably next season. It would probably be best if he can earn that 5th season where I think his program could potentially take off. 

This program needs stability. Period.

The program achieved its highest level of success after Spoon had the program solidly mediocre for a few years and then went out and got Kruger. 

Im not sure if Menzies can take the next step and achieve new heights, but I believe the UNLV brand can elevate him as well as numerous others. 

Im just not pretending like some of you dolts on here that i know more about coaching than Marvin Menzies. I dont. You dont.  Reno fans are the least credible because illiterate mostly and no experience with a winning program past flash in the pan. Muss is your program.You really dont have one. You are trash and are the very last people on Earth who should be giving program advice.

The fact that so called UNLV fans are circle jerking and agreeing in harmony with reno fans is blasphemy at the very least.

Did you really mean to say Marvin is a notch above Kruger?

That has to be an error, right?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Reno fans obsessed with our program. 

Maybe you guys should go focus on your football program and getting that cannon back in a decade or two....

Muss is your program. Maybe he goes to the Cavs!

More qwelish logic. 

26 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Reno fans obsessed with our program. 

Maybe you guys should go focus on your football program and getting that cannon back in a decade or two....

Muss is your program. Maybe he goes to the Cavs!

Muss is certainly our program.

Marvin is yours.

If Muss leaves after this season, we will still begin the next season with a better coach than yours. 

Given the same players and same schedule, can you honestly say you'd have an even worse season if Rice was your coach?

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

I’m not sure why people expect Menzies to be fired when Sanchez wasn’t.  Don’t regale me with the Fertitta money either.  He would have been back regardless.

I think I can only remember 1 person calling for him to be fired. Most of us expect him to get at least 1 more year. Marv is stabilizing the program and rebuilding the foundation that was destroyed by the previous AD. Somewhere along the line though someone will need to lead the team back to being relevant. I just don't see him doing the latter. 

4 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I think I can only remember 1 person calling for him to be fired. Most of us expect him to get at least 1 more year. Marv is stabilizing the program and rebuilding the foundation that was destroyed by the previous AD. Somewhere along the line though someone will need to lead the team back to being relevant. I just don't see him doing the latter. 

What I'd be worried about is him doing just enough.

A trip to the NIT next year could hurt you more than help you.

Barack Obama

6 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

It will take time for him to get it done.

Just now, ph90702 said:

It will take time for him to get it done.

Dude, you don't have much time left. The supporters of the program and the  people who were adults during the Tark years are getting old and dying off. :D

Barack Obama

40 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Muss is certainly our program.

Marvin is yours.

If Muss leaves after this season, we will still begin the next season with a better coach than yours. 

Given the same players and same schedule, can you honestly say you'd have an even worse season if Rice was your coach?

The skill required to be a HC are significantly different from those of an AC. Both Marv and Dave are really good AC's or even a good HC in a lower conference and program. I believe that UNLV as structured right now could become a solid middle of the pack MWC program. That might sell 7,000 tickets a year. If that is all that's needed to meet the expectations of the University and community then so be it. The most important job is actually being done right now which is to get the stink created by TKM out of the building. 

In other news...

UNR- 0   GCU-11

6 hours ago, qwelish said:

@UNLV2001 Curious to know how you felt about the play of JTT and Woodbury.

-I think Woodbury is turning into Mooring 2.0 with all those bad 3's. Marvin needs to reign in his shot selection and get him going toward the basket. He's big and can handle and pass.

-We need Hardy getting into the paint and attacking the basket. It collapses the defense and allows our bigs to attack the boards, which is their strength (not post play and jumpers). I think Marvin needs to start the game like that and make it a consistent part of the attack. Its how UNLV got back into that game yesterday!

-Robo was in the game when they made that run near the end. The key is, Marvin moved him off the ball to SG. His ballhandling and defense are why he plays. he's avg nearly 4 assists per game and has a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. You just cannot discount that when the rest of the team is made up of turnover machines. He takes care of the ball and makes heady decisions.

From the tiny bit of time Woodbury has played, I've seen nothing overly positive out of him - His shot isn't falling (for the few he taken) and his man defense is suspect. Could be a residual effect of the knee injury he sustained in the off season, so I'm not tossing him out just yet. But he hasn't been the "shooter" that was advertised coming in.

Hardy is the guy driving (and driving out of control at times) - Good to see his aggressiveness but the problem with the slash and pass is that UNLV's bigs don't really have the hands yet to catch and finish with those quick off the cuff  dump passes in the paint. Think this will improve with time as Diong, Ntwambe & Dembele get more used to this.

Robo hasn't lived up to expectations IMO yet. His shot isn't consistent and he's made some real suspect decisions and passes as PG . Still time to get his game tightened up, but if he doesn't improve, then UNLV is basically without a decent PG for the season.

Biggest positives are Diong, JTT & Ntwambe - Think these 3 will do nothing but improve as time passes. Hardy could use some help in having a similar style player and in time Hamilton could be his counterpart. Hamilton has shown signs and things should only get better in his all around game.

Beck is a bit of a concern. Not sure if it's weight or conditioning, but he's not been much of a factor in games. Again, this is a thing that should get better with time.

Juiston needs rebound like a mad man, get the put backs and play defense - He should be a double double machine most times out. Juiston isn't a "got to guy" but he needs to be the constant that UNLV has lacked so far.

Personally I'd like to see Menzies use the overall depth of the roster to press more, play a bit more up tempo. There's not a big fall off in talent from the top 5 to the next 5 players, so use that depth to some advantage and wear teams down. When UNLV has gone to a press/pressure defense it's worked most of the time - extend this to longer stretches as I think it can wear on opponents, especially once MWC games stat. There's a good number of MWC that this could make the difference on. 

The MWC is looking like Nevada & the 11 dwarfs so far. SJSU, AF, Wyo, BSU & CSU are pretty bad so UNLV needs to get these wins, then there's UNM, USU, CSU  which is the group UNLV is probably more on par with......SDSU isn't anything like their recent teams so if UNLV can take care of business against the bottom teams, split with their peer teams and maybe steal one vs SDSU, I could see UNLV being in the hunt for 3rd place or even 2nd (if all goes just right)......but if UNLV has issues then a 6th place finish isn't out of the question.

My position on this season is that it's a building project and Menzies is still working on the foundation - the foundation are the freshmen & sophomores......if we see marked improvement from them and adding in some good recruits, the coming years should be better than the previous years. The expectations for this season should be tempered and the real focus should be on 2019-20 and beyond.