Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV AT ILLINOIS

Utah State the team we tied last year at 7th place in conference last year and a similar program to USU is now 8-2, UNLV is 4-4. Some programs will find a way to grow, get better and move forward. Others, not so much.

24 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Those are WAC players, Ph. It's not the makings of a tournament team.

Lots of WAC players had P5 offers. You have proven nothing. The test comes on the court.

To him, the test is recruiting and stars. Nothing on the court matters at all.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

48 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You will enter conference play with a losing record.

Most of the teams you play in conference are better than what you played OOC.

We have 4 more OOC games remaining. I expect 1-3 at best so going into conference at probably 5-7'ish. I expected a 17-18 win season overall which is starting to look more and more out of reach.

PH predicted 24/25 wins I believe so consider that in your future conversations when he says that you don't know what you are talking about.

5 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Both teams today were sloppy and undisciplined. Illinois is right where they should be at the bottom of the Big 10. The way the MWC is developing in terms of fairly weak UNLV may have a chance of being 6 or 7. I wish I could believe that they would eliminate the sloppy play and turnovers or improve on free throws but I don't expect an improvement in team play moving forward. 

I have no idea how to rank the MW beyond the top 4.

You guys could be anywhere from 5-10.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Yeah it is still a mess at this point but if every team in that mess was equal going in then the usual dynamics will play out. Some teams seem to own others. Some coaches out coach others. Some teams seem to find a way to lose no matter what. Based on previous history I am not hopeful. I can't name a team that UNLV has dominated, maybe SJSU.

48 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

We have 4 more OOC games remaining. I expect 1-3 at best so going into conference at probably 5-7'ish. I expected a 17-18 win season overall which is starting to look more and more out of reach.

PH predicted 24/25 wins I believe so consider that in your future conversations when he says that you don't know what you are talking about.

I gave him facts regarding the level of players Menzies has landed, and he had no response.

28 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Yeah it is still a mess at this point but if every team in that mess was equal going in then the usual dynamics will play out. Some teams seem to own others. Some coaches out coach others. Some teams seem to find a way to lose no matter what. Based on previous history I am not hopeful. I can't name a team that UNLV has dominated, maybe SJSU.

If we play San Jose State twice, that’s two wins.  The only teams they could beat are Wyoming and Air Force.

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I gave him facts regarding the level of players Menzies has landed, and he had no response.

My response: yawn.

What they do on the court is the only proof. 

The eyeball test says, "WAC team." 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

6 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

The PH plan is: if we only play bad teams and the MWC gets much worse then UNLV will look better in comparison. That is an excellent plan to return to relevancy. 

Some would call that "Cream of the Crap".

Not even close.  We will improve.  Give it time.

UNLV needs to learn that in order to be successful, you have to spend money to make money. 

A few years ago UNLV was avging 15,500/game at T&M and the program was netting $8+ million in profit each year. UNLV was listed by Forbes as one of the most profitable mbb programs in the country. Why? because we went out and found a real coach and paid him a competitive salary. We were paying Kruger $1.2 million/year in 2008 in WAY worse economic times than today. Oklahoma was smart, they offered him $2.4 million and UNLV thought they could do better for less and didn't counter their offer and let Kruger walk. How is Oklahoma rewarded? Kruger turns around the program and makes them a perennial contender. Why? because they spent money to make money. That investment had paid dividends multiple times over. 

So what does UNLV do? They choose Rice in large part that he was cheap and only collected a $500k/yr salary. (Kruger's buy-out was $500k so Oklahoma paid for Rice's 1st year) A decision that ultimately cost UNLV tens of millions of dollars in revenue in the long-run. UNLV was smart and at least offered Beard $1 mill/yr but the regents made him beg for it and he bailed. So we go cheap again and get a discount coach at $750/yr for Menzies. 

UNLV will never be successful again unless they stop being short sighted and make a big investment to hire a real coach at a $3-4 million salary. UNLV still has built-in advantages to be one of the top-basketball programs in the country. This "sit and wait" game with Menzies will only further kill this program until its dead for good. (Which will happen if they don't turn things around before Vegas gets an NBA franchise)

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

19 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV needs to learn that in order to be successful, you have to spend money to make money. 

A few years ago UNLV was avging 15,500/game at T&M and the program was netting $8+ million in profit each year. UNLV was listed by Forbes as one of the most profitable mbb programs in the country. Why? because we went out and found a real coach and paid him a competitive salary. We were paying Kruger $1.2 million/year in 2008 in WAY worse economic times than today. Oklahoma was smart, they offered him $2.4 million and UNLV thought they could do better for less and didn't counter their offer and let Kruger walk. How is Oklahoma rewarded? Kruger turns around the program and makes them a perennial contender. Why? because they spent money to make money. That investment had paid dividends multiple times over. 

So what does UNLV do? They choose Rice in large part that he was cheap and only collected a $500k/yr salary. (Kruger's buy-out was $500k so Oklahoma paid for Rice's 1st year) A decision that ultimately cost UNLV tens of millions of dollars in revenue in the long-run. UNLV was smart and at least offered Beard $1 mill/yr but the regents made him beg for it and he bailed. So we go cheap again and get a discount coach at $750/yr for Menzies. 

UNLV will never be successful again unless they stop being short sighted and make a big investment to hire a real coach at a $3-4 million salary. UNLV still has built-in advantages to be one of the top-basketball programs in the country. This "sit and wait" game with Menzies will only further kill this program until its dead for good. (Which will happen if they don't turn things around before Vegas gets an NBA franchise)

You’re perception and reality are quite a ways away.

2 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

You hit the nail on the head. UNLV will always draw good to great players. The program tradition and glitz seems to have a draw for young kids. Even with good players you need a coach the kids respect and will listen too. Dave Rice never could control his team. Menzies is better, but I’m not sure he has full control. Last year he had two of the best inside players in the MWC yet the guards were continually playing out of control turning the ball over and  casting off three pointers. They should have been feeding the post every time down the floor, and working inside out. 

The Rebels need a very strong minded coach that makes it clear, you play for the team, or you don’t play. A Frank Martin type that won’t put up with hero ball. 

2 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Is that really true though? WCC high school gym conference has 9 of 10 teams with a winning record. MW only 5, and we have lost to some really crappy conferences. Is their success really because they spend more on coaching or is it that they just have better coaches? Does USU spend more? Fresno? Maybe UNLV brass is inept at finding a good coach.