Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

San Jose State Spartan Football Ops Fundraising update - $18 million to be raised in next six months or bust!

I noticed that the Spartan alum leading the fundraising drive for their football ops building, Paul Lanning, posted this update about the actual fundraising progress.  Yes, he affirms that the Spartans will raise the remaining $18 million in the next six months ("this spring" means by the end of the spring semester imho) although it took them about fourteen months to raise ~$9 million.  SJSU appears to have set their own deadline/goal for June - ish to raise what they need for a pretty nice but spartan football operations building.

https://247sports.com/college/san-jose-state/Reply/PaulLanning-Reply-125965371/

Status Report: 12/5/2018 
TOTAL PROJECT BUDGET: $40 MILLION 
TOTAL COMMITTED TO DATE: $21,800,661 (54.5%) 
BALANCE TO BE RAISED: $18,199,339 
2009-2017 ACTUAL AMOUNT RAISED PRIOR TO ALL IN LAUNCH: $2,808,500 
AMOUNT RAISED SINCE ALL IN LAUNCH (09/2017): $8,992,661 (plus $10 million commitment from Athletics revenue sources) 
GOAL: Secure 100% of goal in gifts and pledges by spring!

bust1
/bəst/
noun
noun: bust; plural noun: busts
  1. 1.
    a woman's chest as measured around her breasts.
    "a 36-inch bust"
    synonyms: chest, bosom, breasts
    "an empire waistline accentuates the bust"
    • a woman's breasts, especially considered in terms of their size.
      "selecting clothes that would minimize her big bust"
      synonyms: chest, bosom, breasts
      "an empire waistline accentuates the bust"
  2. 2.
    a sculpture of a person's head, shoulders, and chest.
    synonyms: sculpture, carving, effigy, statue; 
    head and shoulders
    "a bust of Caesar"

bust2
/bəst/
INFORMAL
verb
verb: bust; 3rd person present: busts; past tense: bust; past participle: bust; past tense: busted; past participle: busted; gerund or present participle: busting
  1. 1.
    break, split, or burst (something).
    "they bust the tunnel wide open"
    synonyms: break, smash, fracture, shatter, crack, disintegrate, snap; More

• come apart or split open.
      "he was laughing fit to bust"
    • cause to collapse; defeat utterly.
      "he promised to bust the mafia"
      synonyms: overthrow, destroy, topple, bring down, ruin, break, overturn, overcome, defeat, get rid of, oust, dislodge
      "he promised to bust the counterfeit ring"
    • (especially of a married couple) separate, typically after a quarrel.
    • cause (something) to break up.
      "men hired to bust up union rallies"
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      strike violently.
      "they wanted to bust me on the mouth"
    • break out; escape.
      "she busted out of prison"
    • (in blackjack and similar card games) exceed the score of 21, losing one's stake.
  2. 2.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    raid or search (premises where illegal activity is suspected).
    "their house got busted"
    • arrest.
      "he was busted for drugs"
    • be caught in the act of doing something wrong.
      "I sneaked up on them and told them they were busted"
    • US
      reduce (a soldier) to a lower rank; demote.
      "he was busted to private"
noun
noun: bust; plural noun: busts
  1. 1.
    a period of economic difficulty or depression.
    "the boom was followed by the present bust"
  2. 2.
    a raid or arrest by the police.
    "a drug bust"
    synonyms: raid, search; More

3. 3.
    a worthless thing.  San Jose State University sports
    "as a sports program, SJSU was a bust"
adjective
adjective: bust
  1. 1.
    bankrupt.
    "firms will go bust"
    synonyms: fail, collapse, fold, go under, founder; More

image.png

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

2 hours ago, dudleyDgroot said:

Hey Bruin.....Exactly where does it say "bust"?   That's your own INCORRECT assumption.....It's called a GOAL.....no one said anything about "bust"...……………….

So the guy has tits on his mind. Can't fault him for that.

Boom goes the dynamite.

@RampageSam I'm just putting out Paul Lanning's statement.  The ball busting in this thread is not by me.  I am surprised SJSU has set such an looming deadline given their history of fundraising for athletics.

I'm a Bay Area resident who grew up in Watsonville/Aptos in the late 80s so I remember when Cal and Stanford sucked and SJSU generally had a better football team than either.  I want SJSU to succeed and I resent all the cyber-bullying done of Spartan fans so I try to stick up for the unfairly maligned when I can.

I respect Paul Lanning's public facing presence related to the 'All In' campaign but I don't understand it.  Above all, I don't understand why SJSU is calling their current fundraising campaign 'All-In' because it cause one to wonder whether SJSU might have a consequence if they don't meet their goal and deadline.  The term is ominous.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/or+bust

Do people knows what an idiom or phrase is?  If you are still learning how to use the crazy Google machine, please understand that you can enter more than one word into the 'query' box.

It's a Pioneer phrase "Oregon or Bust!".  Adding 'or bust' became an idiom

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

@RampageSam I'm just putting out Paul Lanning's statement.  The ball busting in this thread is not by me.  I am surprised SJSU has set such an looming deadline given their history of fundraising for athletics.

I'm a Bay Area resident who grew up in Watsonville/Aptos in the late 80s so I remember when Cal and Stanford sucked and SJSU generally had a better football team than either.  I want SJSU to succeed and I resent all the cyber-bullying done of Spartan fans so I try to stick up for the unfairly maligned when I can.

I respect Paul Lanning's public facing presence related to the 'All In' campaign but I don't understand it.  Above all, I don't understand why SJSU is calling their current fundraising campaign 'All-In' because it cause one to wonder whether SJSU might have a consequence if they don't meet their goal and deadline.  The term is ominous.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/or+bust

Do people knows what an idiom or phrase is?  If you are still learning how to use the crazy Google machine, please understand that you can enter more than one word into the 'query' box.

It's a Pioneer phrase "Oregon or Bust!".  Adding 'or bust' became an idiom

No one speaks Oregonian in California. ;) I was giving you a hard time, BITB.

I appreciate the updates that Paul posts on the board. I find it impressive, actually. Our AD's office needs to do what it can to keep the fans aboard. There are those of us that do care and want our athletics to succeed.

6 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

I wanna see it done. I also wanna see Jeff Garcia as the new coach. Or a veteran coach 

Because if a WR coach doesn’t work, why not try a guy that doesn’t coach at all? Sounds like a very SJSU thing to do.