Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

Should Alexander Mattison Declare Early??

Boise has three legit early entry prospects in AM, STUD Curtis Weaver, and LT Ezra Cleveland. Of those three, Alex is definitely the most replaceable, so if I had to pick one, I'd want it to be him. Obviously, I hope all three come back. 

31 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

This anonymous NFL scout thinks he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder:

If that ends up being the case he's likely gunna leave. 

What exactly does he mean by "if he runs well"? He can't mean combine times because he references Ajayi and Mcnichols declaring early. Makes no sense .

10 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

What exactly does he mean by "if he runs well"? He can't mean combine times because he references Ajayi and Mcnichols declaring early. Makes no sense .

I don't understand what you are saying about combine times and declaring early. That makes no sense to me, could you explain that? Mattison is not a burner, so I'd imagine if he ran a 4.7ish he'd be significantly hurt. If he gets around 4.55-4.6, I'd imagine he'd be fine.

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I don't understand what you are saying about combine times and declaring early. That makes no sense to me, could you explain that? Mattison is not a burner, so I'd imagine if he ran a 4.7ish he'd be significantly hurt. If he gets around 4.55-4.6, I'd imagine he'd be fine.

His comment about Ajayi and McNichols declaring before the bowl game. So, no running time in combine, is what doesn't make sense. Were Ajayi and McNichols faster than Mattison ?..

6 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

His comment about Ajayi and McNichols declaring before the bowl game. So, no running time in combine, is what doesn't make sense. Were Ajayi and McNichols faster than Mattison ?..

They both ran in the combine. I'm not sure you leave early if you don't know for sure you'll get a combine invite. And, yeah, I'd assume that both were faster (and Doug Martin for that matter) than Mattison. I don't know for sure, but Mattison hasn't busted out many long runs in his career. He's more a guy that's gunna get ya 5-10 tough yards between the tackles. They hardly ever even tried and get him to the edge.

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

They both ran in the combine. I'm not sure you leave early if you don't know for sure you'll get a combine invite. And, yeah, I'd assume that both were faster (and Doug Martin for that matter) than Mattison. I don't know for sure, but Mattison hasn't busted out many long runs in his career. He's more a guy that's gunna get ya 5-10 tough yards between the tackles. They hardly ever even tried and get him to the edge.

That's kinda what I was saying.  This anonymous talent evaluator is presuming that 'if' Mattison 'runs well' he could be 2nd or 3rd round and throws in Ajayi and McNichols names as comparisons....which is probably not a realistic comparison.  I'm not dogging Mattison but really questioning an anonymous talent evaluator.  Hope Mattisons people are doing the same.

I think he'd be smart to get a good insurance policy and put in another year.  As KP said, he has the potential of really raising his stock with another year of coaching and competition.  I don't see him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year, next year is a real possibility.

20 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

That's kinda what I was saying.  This anonymous talent evaluator is presuming that 'if' Mattison 'runs well' he could be 2nd or 3rd round and throws in Ajayi and McNichols names as comparisons....which is probably not a realistic comparison.  I'm not dogging Mattison but really questioning an anonymous talent evaluator.  Hope Mattisons people are doing the same.

The second part of that post are BJ Rains thoughts, not the NFL scout.

18 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I think he'd be smart to get a good insurance policy and put in another year.  As KP said, he has the potential of really raising his stock with another year of coaching and competition.  I don't see him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year, next year is a real possibility.

Yeah, I think he'd improve it greatly next season. He'll make a run at a 2,000 yard season if he stays healthy next year. 

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, I think he'd improve it greatly next season. He'll make a run at a 2,000 yard season if he stays healthy next year. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping he declares.  But that's for our defenses sake.  For his own good, I think another year would be beneficial.  I can't help but think about Kapri Bibbs and Rashard Higgens and how much money they left on the table by jumping too early.

26 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping he declares.  But that's for our defenses sake.  For his own good, I think another year would be beneficial.  I can't help but think about Kapri Bibbs and Rashard Higgens and how much money they left on the table by jumping too early.

My gut feeling is that he declares. The shelf life for RBs in the NFL is short and very, very few go really high, so the ceiling is pretty limited unless you're a special talent. Which he is not. He's good enough to play in the league, though. 

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

This anonymous NFL scout thinks he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder:

If that ends up being the case he's likely gunna leave. 

I'd be happy to draft him in the 4th, or the late 3rd, I guess...

For the love of shit, we don't even have a first rounder....

New-Signature.jpg

22 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

We're not Wyoming fans. We have nationally recognized and high draft picks all the time. We don't make a big deal out of it. 

uh, YOU ARE making a big deal of it.   

Mattison is a good rb and has a legitimate shot at NFL.  RB's should go for it when they can.  He has nothing to gain by staying another year.   Saying he should stay and get 2000 yards is kind of dumb.  
Penny was not the feature back his Jr year and didn't have near the stats or notoriety he got his Sr. year.  

6 minutes ago, pokerider said:

uh, YOU ARE making a big deal of it.   

Mattison is a good rb and has a legitimate shot at NFL.  RB's should go for it when they can.  He has nothing to gain by staying another year.   Saying he should stay and get 2000 yards is kind of dumb.  
Penny was not the feature back his Jr year and didn't have near the stats or notoriety he got his Sr. year.  

"make a run at" is not saying he will get 2,000 yards. He has close to 1,000 yards in his last six games. You really think it's ridiculous to to say he'll "make a run" at 2,000 yards over a 14 game stretch with all five OL coming back? 

Come on. Of course, he would get up in that range as long as he avoided injury. 

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

When you get a top 10 pick, you'll understand, son.

Boise has had early entry high draft picks for six years running. We deal with this every year. Not just when we have a one year 2nd team All Conference guy who's biggest college accomplishment is leading the country in INTs.