Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Wisconsin No Longer Democracy

In Wisconsin, Democrats won the popular vote by 200,000 votes and won all of the state wide elections but LOST the state house by 63 to 36.  Furthermore, Wisconsin has no citizen initiative process so they can't put a ballot initiative on the ballot to make non partisans in charge of the congressional districts to eliminate this gerrymandering.  They cannot get the political appointed Supreme court to declare this gerrymandering unconstitutional.  So, the people of the state have really no avenue to defeat this gerrymandering to create fair districts.  Their vote doesn't matter and results are pre determined.  And Republicans have the temerity after just losing the popular vote in the election to take away power from the people who won the popular vote to give the power to the next congress who didn't.  Outrageous!

This my friends, is how Castro, Putin, Saddam , etc., run elections.    The put a veneer of people being able to vote but the outcome is never in doubt and the people have no way to actually impact the change they voted for.  

image.png.ecbc6771d295fdf0684af0ae6c209973.png

https://thinkprogress.org/wisconsin-skewed-2018-results-anthony-kennedy-98060a6a19e9/

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

In Wisconsin, Democrats won the popular vote by 200,000 votes and won all of the state wide elections but LOST the state house by 63 to 36.  Furthermore, Wisconsin has no citizen initiative process so they can't put a ballot initiative on the ballot to make non partisans in charge of the congressional districts to eliminate this gerrymandering.  They cannot get the political appointed Supreme court to declare this gerrymandering unconstitutional.  So, the people of the state have really no avenue to defeat this gerrymandering to create fair districts.  Their vote doesn't matter and results are pre determined.  And Republicans have the temerity after just losing the popular vote in the election to take away power from the people who won the popular vote to give the power to the next congress who didn't.  Outrageous!

This my friends, is how Castro, Putin, Saddam , etc., run elections.    The put a veneer of people being able to vote but the outcome is never in doubt and the people have no way to actually impact the change they voted for.  

image.png.ecbc6771d295fdf0684af0ae6c209973.png

https://thinkprogress.org/wisconsin-skewed-2018-results-anthony-kennedy-98060a6a19e9/

Hence the need for a Democratic Governor.  I am assuming redistributing coming up soon.

16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Hence the need for a Democratic Governor.  I am assuming redistributing coming up soon.

Except that the lame duck legislature just stripped the governor office of a significant portion of its power. 

30 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I suppose the only path is for a non-Republican governor to veto any gerrymandered lines drawn that are redistricted.  However, it looks like Republicans almost have a veto proof majority in the Wisconsin house.  Perhaps they can lower the threshold for a veto on congressional maps in the lame duck session too!

Posted Image

Can anyone explain to me the benefits of gerrymandering- outside of winning seats for your particular party, that is? It seems like counter what a representative government would want. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Can anyone explain to me the benefits of gerrymandering- outside of winning seats for your particular party, that is? It seems like counter what a representative government would want. 

There are no benefits to democracy, it is just a partisan power grab.  To gerrymander all you have to do is pack as many Democratic votes into as few of districts as possible and spread Republican votes so they can just get above 50% in that district and they win.  The Democratic votes are all wasted once that district gets to 50%.  

Wide swaths of the Republican party are now cynically devoting themselves to minority rule.  They no longer are interested in Democracy and are only interested in preserving the status of those in power for as long as possible.  They have thrown overboard the idea trying to get the majority of voters in any given election to agree with them.  Now they are simply interested in election fraud, voter suppression, gerrymandering, and to use structural advantages like the US Senate to control the government by minority rule.  Their only real power is holding government hostage unless they get their way and they are completely dedicated to keeping power despite fewer and fewer people wanting to vote for them democratically.     

Posted Image

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

34 minutes ago, Akkula said:

I suppose the only path is for a non-Republican governor to veto any gerrymandered lines drawn that are redistricted.  However, it looks like Republicans almost have a veto proof majority in the Wisconsin house.  Perhaps they can lower the threshold for a veto on congressional maps in the lame duck session too!

I could be wrong but I believe the legislature just removed the ability of the governor to veto the redistricting lines.

Wasn't Walker prevented legally from pursuing a recount after this election because of some law he rammed through to keep one of his challengers from getting a recount? I'm sure this will bite them in the ass somewhere down the line. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

41 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Didn't North Carolina do or attempt to do something similar a couple years ago when Roy Cooper was elected?

Yes they did. They convened a special legislative session in which to do it as well.

Two years ago, after Roy Cooper, a Democrat, unseated the Republican governor, Pat McCrory, G.O.P. supermajorities in the North Carolina General Assembly passed sweeping restrictions on Mr. Cooper’s power. Among other things, they expanded the state elections board and split it evenly between Democrats and Republicans so Mr. Cooper could not appoint a Democratic majority; slashed the number of employees who served at the governor’s pleasure; and limited Mr. Cooper’s authority to select members for numerous state boards, including those that regulate industry and finance.

It was a move that tested legal limits and prompted outrage from Democrats. It also set a precedent that could pave the way for similar actions in other states — even though courts have ruled that much of the North Carolina package violates the state constitution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/us/politics/wisconsin-governor-legal-challenge.html

The courts by and large ruled against those laws as violating the state constitution.... so they'd take the court's rebukes, and then turn around and try and pass a slightly modified version of the legislature, which would similarly be rejected by the courts, and round and round we've gone for two years now.

So what'd they do this year? They tried an end-around and tried to get them passed via very deceptive constitutional amendments, neither of which ended up passing though. 

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

To gerrymander all you have to do is pack as many Democratic votes into as few of districts as possible and spread Republican votes so they can just get above 50% in that district and they win.  The Democratic votes are all wasted once that district gets to 50%. 

4 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Gerrymandering is okay in California and Nevada though right?   HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

It's heartwarming that the Humboldt County Library lets the mentally challenged use the computers and internet for a few hours each day - Thank your nurses & the county library for all of us here on the MWC Board !!! 

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

It's heartwarming that the Humboldt County Library lets the mentally challenged use the computers and internet for a few hours each day - Thank your nurses & the county library for all of us here on the MWC Board !!! 

It is hilarious to watch hypocrites like you dissemble constantly.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

9 hours ago, retrofade said:

Except that the lame duck legislature just stripped the governor office of a significant portion of its power. 

As I understand it, the main protagonist is Scott Walker. Although that turd is now circling the toilet bowl he still has a month left in office and will sign the legislation if it reaches his desk. For the life of me I can't understand how an educated, generally sane electorate like exists in Wisconsin could have elected such a despicable person to its statehouse. 

Boom goes the dynamite.

12 hours ago, Akkula said:

Almost but it doesn't appear they do.   It's called over-playing their hand.   The changes are bad but not likely earth shattering and games like that piss people off for a long time.