Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Boise St basketball is doo doo.

6 minutes ago, broncobob said:

I Believe the Broncos can still finish in the tip half of the MWC...or at least in the top 2/3's.  Rebuilding year, we will be better next season.  But win or lose, I will be at the games cheering for my team.

It was only the "tip."  I promise.

4 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

He's right this time, though.

This wasn't going to be a season where they competed for the top spot. It's still pretty early. They could still end the season they were supposed to. The year they won the MW, they lost Drmic right before conference play and started 0-3 in conference. It's certainly been a rough start, but 3/4 of the season is still left. 

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Hobbs has been injured the whole year and they needed him. Defensively they have been poor. They have lost a lot of close games, but they have some good players. I'm not sure they won't put it together by conference season. Unfortunately, they have more likely loses leading up to the conference slate. They are redshirting five players, including a SR. If they show decent in conference they'll be set to make a run next year. 

We need Hobbs as he could have developed while here but honestly he looked better as a freshman than he does presently when healthy.  Major disappointment in his development.   

Williams, Dembley (both 1st year JC transfers) and Alston (first time getting minutes after walking on a couple years ago) are the best 3 the Broncos have.   The cupboard was full of spider webs after years of recruiting misses by Leon and staff.   This year was always going to be a dog.   Next year those 3 are back and Bereal and Dennis are the freshmen to be excited about.  Both can actually take a defender on and cause a D to shift multiple times.  That really doesn't exist this year and the shooting isn't up to par either. 

5 minutes ago, BigBlueFan said:

Bwahaha

MEME20181121_210033.jpg

He certainly isn't helping any.....and his personality isn't exciting either.  That's a bench full of Opie Taylor coaches, hard to get the team too fired up it seems like.   I'd love to see one hard ass on the bench that can light a fire in some of these walking dead.   If TD could teach the team how to make FT's we would have a couple more W's though. 

12 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

It was only the "tip."  I promise.

errr....top...damn fingers

broncomwc.png

6 minutes ago, roughrider said:

We need Hobbs as he could have developed while here but honestly he looked better as a freshman than he does presently when healthy.  Major disappointment in his development.   

Williams, Dembley (both 1st year JC transfers) and Alston (first time getting minutes after walking on a couple years ago) are the best 3 the Broncos have.   The cupboard was full of spider webs after years of recruiting misses by Leon and staff.   This year was always going to be a dog.   Next year those 3 are back and Bereal and Dennis are the freshmen to be excited about.  Both can actually take a defender on and cause a D to shift multiple times.  That really doesn't exist this year and the shooting isn't up to par either. 

Hey Keith, we need to get together for a brew prior to a game this year....maybe meet at White Dog with OB and some of our old tailgate gang.  It has been awhile.

broncomwc.png

12 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Have heard that Bereal is the best player on the team - but redshirting because of an injury. 

We really need a good guard that can drive and dish the ball (aka Hobbs). I think that is what the team is missing right now.  Dickinson can't score at all and the JC transfer Dembley just shoots 3s and 3s and more 3s.  And he's not a great shooter.

When Hobbs comes back, I think this team should be top half of the conference if they can play defense.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Alston - he's going to be a good player. 

Jessup and RJ have been the only consistently good players. Haney ok too.

And its not like we've been getting blown out every game. Just a lot of failures to finish.

Losses were by 2, 12, 3, 9, 2.

Next year this team is going to be really good (only lose Haney and Wacker).

This is pretty spot on. The only slight things I might pick at is, Jessup stayed really, really slow this year when they needed him to step up. That hurt. Also, I think Dembley had shown the ability to drive and dish. 

There are a lot of new guys and everyone is playing new roles. Alston has been a huge surprise and both the transfers look as advertised. Defensively they've been atrocious. That desperately needs to be fixed. If they get Hobbs back to full strength, there is still enough pull out together. 

1 hour ago, broncobob said:

Hey Keith, we need to get together for a brew prior to a game this year....maybe meet at White Dog with OB and some of our old tailgate gang.  It has been awhile.

I watched wyo@CSU at the White Dog in Boise this fall.  GREAT BEER & I was pleasantly surprised by their food. 

1 hour ago, broncobob said:

I Believe the Broncos can still finish in the tip half of the MWC...or at least in the top 2/3's.  Rebuilding year, we will be better next season.  But win or lose, I will be at the games cheering for my team.

I always love when someone says they will be in the "top" of some measurement that is more than 1/2 the total group!  Kind of an oxymoron IMO. 

Basically, you're saying Boise State basketball should finish somewhere below average...made me laugh!

The only legit starting D-1 player I see on our team is Juco xfer RJ Williams and he has no perimeter shot and turns the ball over too much. Juco xfer Dembly has been a disappointment so far. Bad shooting and really bad assist to turnover ratio for a PG. Hobbs and JJ are not any better than last year when they were essentially role players and fed off Hutchison. Haney and Wacker are average to below average posts that wouldn’t start on many D-1 teams. Alston shows athleticism and promise, but played only 26 minutes as the 12th guy off the bench last year.

We have no bench. Dickenson is short and doesn’t score much, nor handle the ball well. Harwell should be at Cof I. Christon hasn’t played much due to a broken nose. A great season for this bunch will be a 0.500 record and finishing 7th in the MWC.

The additional downside is the future of Boise State basketball. We desperately need a legit post recruit which is the only thing that can save this team next year. If that doesn’t happen next years team may even be worse. Injury redshirt senior post Jorch and redshirt freshman post Frazier are worse than Haney and Wacker.

Of the freshmen redshirting Bereal is the only one that stands out. Abercrombie could develop. Rice and Frazier do not look like D-1 players. IMO big mistake for Rice to recruit his son who lacks sufficient quickness and hops for the D-1 game. 

3 hours ago, broncobob said:

Bob, I should be at the game Saturday. I’ll try to find you and catch up. Been a while. 

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The only legit starting D-1 player I see on our team is Juco xfer RJ Williams and he has no perimeter shot and turns the ball over too much. 

RJ (aka Roderick) is leading the MW in field goal percentage (0.614), steals (2.2 per game), and player efficiency rating. I would say he's the only legit all-conference player. 

image.png.871f50c7c7a6881b70c3e221a23b3c30.png