Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fanhood

New Bowl Tie-ins?

20 hours ago, slappy said:

Cold weather bowls are a bad idea.  They never work out very well.  

SoCal (LA -&- SD) is the best options for the MWC

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The administration has said several times it would pay for the great majority of the stadium via bonds while coming up with seed money through a fund drive. They haven't said how much the down payment would be expected to be but last I heard the total anticipated cost had been bumped up from $200M to $230M and since the  entire $16M for the basketball practice and coaches office facility called the JAM Center was paid for via donations, my guess is they would hope to raise about 10% of the cost of the stadium upfront.

Again just curious who has to approve the issuance of bonds and from where do the funds come to pay off the bonds?  

12 minutes ago, utenation said:

Yes I do. I’m not saying it’s the only reason and I agree that there are issues elsewhere.  Local Bay Area fans just don’t really care about CFB. See Cal and Stanford’s attendance. 

But your broad brush strokes aren’t the answer either. 

Answers?  I am not giving any answers all I am trying to do is get non USC/Stanford PAC fans to wake up to the reality they are facing.  That stadium would have sold out with any of the above teams I listed playing that is how big and devoted their fan bases are.  If the PAC wants to maintain a spot at the top tier that is who they need to be able to compete against and be comparable to not the MW and certainly not Wyoming.

PAC better either push for an expanded playoff, improve their results in the next few years, or prepare themselves to be picked apart in the upcoming realignment if the 4 seed playoffs remain in place.

34 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Answers?  I am not giving any answers all I am trying to do is get non USC/Stanford PAC fans to wake up to the reality they are facing.  That stadium would have sold out with any of the above teams I listed playing that is how big and devoted their fan bases are.  If the PAC wants to maintain a spot at the top tier that is who they need to be able to compete against and be comparable to not the MW and certainly not Wyoming.

PAC better either push for an expanded playoff, improve their results in the next few years, or prepare themselves to be picked apart in the upcoming realignment if the 4 seed playoffs remain in place.

This is all hilarious coming from a Wyoming fan. And sorry, I’m not buying sellouts of the teams you mentioned given the exact same conditions. Any local with a life and work that would have to get to a 5 pm game on Friday would struggle.

One thing is clear. You make brash, ignorant claims with zero research.

10 minutes ago, utenation said:

This is all hilarious coming from a Wyoming fan. And sorry, I’m not buying sellouts of the teams you mentioned given the exact same conditions. Any local with a life and work that would have to get to a 5 pm game on Friday would struggle.

One thing is clear. You make brash, ignorant claims with zero research.

Don't worry keep your head in the sand.  We will keep a spot warm for you out in the wilderness of the second tier level.

It isn't locals, these teams have enough diehards that it would be their vacation.  Have you ever been in the South or Michigan/Ohio during college football season?  This is their life, they are crazy.  Nothing I have seen in the Mountain West or Pacific compares.

35 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Don't worry keep your head in the sand.  We will keep a spot warm for you out in the wilderness of the second tier level.

It isn't locals, these teams have enough diehards that it would be their vacation.  Have you ever been in the South or Michigan/Ohio during college football season?  This is their life, they are crazy.  Nothing I have seen in the Mountain West or Pacific compares.

Speaking of head in the sand, your first comparison was to MWC CCG attendance in 2016 and 2017 with the games being played at home stadiums compared to a neutral site P12 CCG game.. I mean if you are going to make claims and comparisons at least make sure they hold water.. If the PAC 12 title game had the same format this year, Washington would have had 65-70K,  Utah would have also sold out for about 47K.

I could spend all day ripping into MWC attendance and other major issues but for the sake of the good fans here, I'll pass..

3 hours ago, utenation said:

Yes I do. I’m not saying it’s the only reason and I agree that there are issues elsewhere.  Local Bay Area fans just don’t really care about CFB. See Cal and Stanford’s attendance. 

But your broad brush strokes aren’t the answer either. 

Bingo.

At Cal, rather than entering the stadium hundreds of students sit up on tightwad hill and smoke ganja and at Stanford, hundreds of alumni tailgate until halfway through the first half drinking fine wine with their rich friends. For real Bay Area football fans, it's all about the Niners and Raiders. (Prediction: Although the Raiders will never return to Oakland, if any owner is willing to fund the price of a new stadium there will be another team there yesterday.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

Bowl games should be in Warm Weather locations close to major international airports.  That said, yes we need more so-Cal bowls.  Stub Hub, the Disneyland Bowl at Angel Stadium, a new San Diego based bowl game once they get their own stadium.  Etc. 

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Again just curious who has to approve the issuance of bonds and from where do the funds come to pay off the bonds?  

On the first part, ya got me. On the second it's my understanding they would be municipal bonds just like any others although maybe not called that. Such bonds usually don't pay interest at the going rate but people invest in them because, as in this case, SDSU isn't going bankrupt any time soon.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

Speaking of head in the sand, your first comparison was to MWC CCG attendance in 2016 and 2017 with the games being played at home stadiums compared to a neutral site P12 CCG game.. I mean if you are going to make claims and comparisons at least make sure they hold water.. If the PAC 12 title game had the same format this year, Washington would have had 65-70K,  Utah would have also sold out for about 47K.

I could spend all day ripping into MWC attendance and other major issues but for the sake of the good fans here, I'll pass..

This isn't about the MW.  I don't know anyone who thinks the MW as being a top tier league.  This is about the position of the PAC and whether they will stay a top tier league or become second tier.  You want to make this about MW vs PAC fine, but you are admitting then that the PAC is closer to the MW than they are to the other P5.  If the PAC wants to keep up with the big boys they have a lot and I mean a lot of work to do.  The PAC CG attendance and TV ratings was a joke compared to BIG, SEC, Big 12, and ACC.  The PAC had a TV ratings of 3.1 vs the next lowest of the P5 of 5.6 (BIG which was down from last year) meanwhile the AAC had a 2.1 MWC had 0.6. That puts the PAC smack dab in the middle between the MW and the next lowest P5 and closer to the AAC than the BIG.  Right now the PAC is the smallest fish among the "P5" and the bigger fish are beginning to circle.

Right now the PAC has a seat at the top tier, the MW and AAC do not.  It is the PAC that has the most to lose here, they need to either up their game and numbers or they better start supporting an expanded playoff for their own sake. 

15 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

This isn't about the MW.  I don't know anyone who thinks the MW as being a top tier league.  This is about the position of the PAC and whether they will stay a top tier league or become second tier.  You want to make this about MW vs PAC fine, but you are admitting then that the PAC is closer to the MW than they are to the other P5.  If the PAC wants to keep up with the big boys they have a lot and I mean a lot of work to do.  The PAC CG attendance and TV ratings was a joke compared to BIG, SEC, Big 12, and ACC.  The PAC had a TV ratings of 3.1 vs the next lowest of the P5 of 5.6 (BIG which was down from last year) meanwhile the AAC had a 2.1 MWC had 0.6. That puts the PAC smack dab in the middle between the MW and the next lowest P5 and closer to the AAC than the BIG.  Right now the PAC is the smallest fish among the "P5" and the bigger fish are beginning to circle.

Right now the PAC has a seat at the top tier, the MW and AAC do not.  It is the PAC that has the most to lose here, they need to either up their game and numbers or they better start supporting an expanded playoff for their own sake. 

Actually, you were the one who compared the Pac to the MWC... I just threw your info in the trash... And I'd imagine that the Pac will lose their seat at the table about the same Wyoming does anything relevant in any sport.. I think we will both be waiting a long time for that..

On 12/11/2018 at 10:41 AM, GoState99755 said:

LA Memorial Coliseum

Banc of California Stadium

Stub Hub Cntr

Angels Stadium

...all are available.

20 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

SoCal (LA -&- SD) is the best options for the MWC

16 hours ago, ViAggie said:

Bowl games should be in Warm Weather locations close to major international airports.  That said, yes we need more so-Cal bowls.  Stub Hub, the Disneyland Bowl at Angel Stadium, a new San Diego based bowl game once they get their own stadium.  Etc. 

SoCal...SoCal...SoCal

40 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Carson would be the best venue.

Yeah! If they tarped over the seats in the upper half of the stands and the TV guys were instructed to keep their cameras no higher than just above the playing field, people watching on ESPN would think it was a sellout! (As long as they also piped in crowd noise, of course.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, utenation said:

Actually, you were the one who compared the Pac to the MWC... I just threw your info in the trash... And I'd imagine that the Pac will lose their seat at the table about the same Wyoming does anything relevant in any sport.. I think we will both be waiting a long time for that..

Hey no skin off my back.  While you may think I am full of garbage, may want to read what some folks are saying here.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/05/19/monson-pac-12-is-no-longer-the-conference-of-champions-its-the-conference-of-trying-to-stay-afloat/

Now as for future MW bowls I generally concur warmer climates are better.  To try a cold climate I think would require working with other industries like ski, snow mobile, breweries, etc to add to the game.

22 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

You think that matters if it was Bama, Georgia, Texas, Clemson, Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Auburn, Florida State, etc?  

Dont see Levi's drawing a huge crowd for the Bama/Georgia, either.  Farther away.  Geography.

All of those schools are much closer to the site of their respective championship game (ND excluded) than Pac 12 games generally are to theirs.  Of this years CCGs, even Pitt had a much shorter trip than either of the 2 Pac12 particpants.  Not that the ACC cared - Clemson is an easy drive to Charlotte.  Hell - Texas and OU can fill AT&T Stadium just with fans from DFW.  When the P12 schools have been closer, to Santa Clara, the attendance has been greater.  Again, geography is a fact of life and not something the Pac 12 can do anything about....except by returning to a school hosting model.  Moving to Vegas may help in drawing visitors, but it wont solve the geography issue.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Carson would be the best venue.

Wrks for me.  Closest venue to my folks house!

My sis starts grad school at CSUDH nxt-door in Jan.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yeah! If they tarped over the seats in the upper half of the stands and the TV guys were instructed to keep their cameras no higher than just above the playing field, people watching on ESPN would think it was a sellout! (As long as they also piped in crowd noise, of course.)

¡Jajaja!

¿You want seats tarped over in a 27k seat venue?

16 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

¡Jajaja!

¿You want seats tarped over in a 27k seat venue?

Since nobody in L.A. county cares about the MW, in order to sell out a game in Carson hosted by the conference that's what it would take.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Since nobody in L.A. county cares about the MW, in order to sell out a game in Carson hosted by the conference that's what it would take.

No one in Las Vegas cares about MWC football, and no one in San Diego cares about MWC football other than cal state San Diego, so what's your point?