Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fanhood

New Bowl Tie-ins?

Guest #1Stunner

MWC really needs another Las Vegas Bowl---it's a driveable game for just about every school.

All of the other MWC bowl ties have mediocre to poor attendance.  Even the Poinsettia Bowl was not great.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

And Stub Hub was a 'well, we gotta play somewhere' choice for the Chargers.  Neither they nor the NFL are particularly happy about it, but they couldnt cut a deal with the Rose Bowl, and the Rams have the Coliseum until the new digs are built.  And playing in a baseball stadium isnt much better than StubHub or BofC. 

Do you have any idea why the Chargers aren't playing in the Coliseum? I mean, they'll be sharing the new place, why can't they share now? Is it just to save face and not play in a stadium where 2/3 of the fans dress up as empty seats? Or was USC involved in that process?

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

Why would the P12 want a game in a 25-28K seat stadium?  Just screams small time.

Did you even watch the P12 Championship Game? If they can't halfway fill an 65k seat stadium for their championship game then they are screaming small time. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

22 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Since you're going to make me get serious, I think the MWC should alternate having its champion play one year in LV and the next in SD once SDSU's new stadium is completed. In both cases the weather is always relatively good in December and there are many other things to do besides just attending a football game and not holding them at the same place every year would be an inducement to fans of other conference schools to attend more frequently.

I like the idea of a bowl rotating sites every other year.  How about rotating between Denver (or Ft Collins or Boulder) and Salt Lake?  Maybe that kind of arrangement would be more enticing to a Pac-12/MW bowl.  BTW, Vail Resorts owns 5 ski resorts in Colorado and 1 near Salt Lake and would make sense as a partner in this kind of setup.  

47 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Do you have any idea why the Chargers aren't playing in the Coliseum? I mean, they'll be sharing the new place, why can't they share now? Is it just to save face and not play in a stadium where 2/3 of the fans dress up as empty seats? Or was USC involved in that process?

My guess - and that's all it is - is that 3 football teams in one stadium is more than anybody wanted to deal with (although they've done it before there).  With the new stadium you can ensure that only 1 team is going to be at home each weekend.  With 3, it complicates matters, not to mention what it does to the field.

47 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Did you even watch the P12 Championship Game? If they can't halfway fill an 65k seat stadium for their championship game then they are screaming small time. 

Yes, because a game with a 6 day turnaround played at 5 pm local time on a Friday is the same thing as a bowl game with up to a month to sell tickets.  And they still had a bigger attendance (35K) than either Stub Hub or BofC could handle.  And all the previous P12 games in Santa Clara had attendance in excess of 45K.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

My guess - and that's all it is - is that 3 football teams in one stadium is more than anybody wanted to deal with (although they've done it before there).  With the new stadium you can ensure that only 1 team is going to be at home each weekend.  With 3, it complicates matters, not to mention what it does to the field.

Yes, because a game with a 6 day turnaround played at 5 pm local time on a Friday is the same thing as a bowl game with up to a month to sell tickets.  And they still had a bigger attendance (35K) than either Stub Hub or BofC could handle.  And all the previous P12 games in Santa Clara had attendance in excess of 45K.

In 2016 Wyoming got about 70% of that attendance with crappy winter roads, sub zero weather, and a relative no show from SDSU fans.  :shrug:

B$G had 66,0000, SEC had 77,000, ACC had 67,000, Big 12 had 83,000.  PAC is losing ground compared to the other big boys.

33 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

In 2016 Wyoming got about 70% of that attendance with crappy winter roads, sub zero weather, and a relative no show from SDSU fans.  :shrug:

B$G had 66,0000, SEC had 77,000, ACC had 67,000, Big 12 had 83,000.  PAC is losing ground compared to the other big boys.

In your home stadium.  If Laramie had been a neutral site it might have gotten 70 rather than 70%

But yes, the Pac 12 and in particular their championship game have a geography and scheduling problem that the others do not have.  So its not so much losing ground as it is a simple fact of life. And a participant host game is the only solution, but i suspect the money they get from Levi's is an acceptable substitute.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 hours ago, RamSack said:

I like the idea of a bowl rotating sites every other year.  How about rotating between Denver (or Ft Collins or Boulder) and Salt Lake?  Maybe that kind of arrangement would be more enticing to a Pac-12/MW bowl.  BTW, Vail Resorts owns 5 ski resorts in Colorado and 1 near Salt Lake and would make sense as a partner in this kind of setup.  

Cold weather bowls are a bad idea.  They never work out very well.  

14 hours ago, RSF said:

In your home stadium.  If Laramie had been a neutral site it might have gotten 70 rather than 70%

But yes, the Pac 12 and in particular their championship game have a geography and scheduling problem that the others do not have.  So its not so much losing ground as it is a simple fact of life. And a participant host game is the only solution, but i suspect the money they get from Levi's is an acceptable substitute.

Simple facts of life are often the cause of losing ground in a competitive world.  You can say what you want and list all the excuses/reasons why the 2018 PAC CG attendance was closer to the 2016 and 2017 MWC CG attendance than to the SEC, BIG, Big 12, and ACC CG attendance, but all you are doing is listing reasons why the PAC is losing ground.  

On 12/4/2018 at 5:51 PM, MWC Tex said:

Should be settled up by March of next year.  With the number of bowl allowances now set by the Bowl Admin there must be negotiating still going on.  

I’m wondering if this results in almost all P-5 v P-5 match-ups and fewer P5 v G5 games.   

19 hours ago, RamSack said:

The best bowl location would be Sacramento in a new Soccer Stadium.   Sac would be driveable for: Reno, Vegas, SDSU, Fresno, SJSU, Boise, Utah State plus driveable from three big AF bases in Beal and Travis and Edwards.  

20 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The aren't my Chargers, I'm a 49ers fan. And no residents of the L.A. area are going to go to a MWC title game. Same for Anaheim since it's in north Orange County and USC pretty much owns that area too.

Since you're going to make me get serious, I think the MWC should alternate having its champion play one year in LV and the next in SD once SDSU's new stadium is completed. In both cases the weather is always relatively good in December and there are many other things to do besides just attending a football game and not holding them at the same place every year would be an inducement to fans of other conference schools to attend more frequently.

Not being a smart ass and curious.   Has San Diego State already gotten funding for its new Stadium or is that still a hurdle to be crossed? 

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The best bowl location would be Sacramento in a new Soccer Stadium.   Sac would be driveable for: Reno, Vegas, SDSU, Fresno, SJSU, Boise, Utah State plus driveable from three big AF bases in Beal and Travis and Edwards.  

Not knocking Sacramento, but Denver would be driveable by AFA, CSU, Wyo, CU.  Salt Lake would be driveable by USU, Utah, BYU and maybe BSU.  I guess I was getting at Denver and Salt Lake are each destination cities for winter sports like skiing and would make sense for a bowl alternating between the two cities, if possible.

In the best of all worlds the Gallo Family decides to join the Sac Republic team as deep pocket investors with a Stadium in the railyard.    

I could envision an event around New Years where a bowl game is held between the MWC and the PAC-12 at that Stadium.   Prior to the game it would be cool to have a wine tasting competition among schools that have wine making programs: Davis, Fresno, Cal Poly, Washington State, Oregon State, Cornell. The winners and runner ups would be featured at half and the schools would all be allowed to sell their wine at the game.   

The game could be sponsored by the organization to drink responsibly.   Or better get an exception from the NCAA to allow the California Wine Association to sponsor it.  

2 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Not knocking Sacramento, but Denver would be driveable by AFA, CSU, Wyo, CU.  Salt Lake would be driveable by USU, Utah, BYU and maybe BSU.  I guess I was getting at Denver and Salt Lake are each destination cities for winter sports like skiing and would make sense for a bowl alternating between the two cities, if possible.

I use an 8 hour drive window.  Are we comparing apples to apples?   Would be interesting to see what is the most central location for MWC schools. 

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Not being a smart ass and curious.   Has San Diego State already gotten funding for its new Stadium or is that still a hurdle to be crossed? 

The administration has said several times it would pay for the great majority of the stadium via bonds while coming up with seed money through a fund drive. They haven't said how much the down payment would be expected to be but last I heard the total anticipated cost had been bumped up from $200M to $230M and since the  entire $16M for the basketball practice and coaches office facility called the JAM Center was paid for via donations, my guess is they would hope to raise about 10% of the cost of the stadium upfront.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Simple facts of life are often the cause of losing ground in a competitive world.  You can say what you want and list all the excuses/reasons why the 2018 PAC CG attendance was closer to the 2016 and 2017 MWC CG attendance than to the SEC, BIG, Big 12, and ACC CG attendance, but all you are doing is listing reasons why the PAC is losing ground.  

Do a little research. Friday night at 5 pm local time with Bay Area traffic and Santa Clara being hard to get to isn’t ideal for any fan.

Our Game will likely move to Vegas when the stadium is done which should improve things quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, utenation said:

Do a little research. Friday night at 5 pm local time with Bay Area traffic and Santa Clara being hard to get to isn’t ideal for any fan.

Our Game will likely move to Vegas when the stadium is done which should improve things quite a bit.

You think that matters if it was Bama, Georgia, Texas, Clemson, Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Auburn, Florida State, etc?  

12 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

You think that matters if it was Bama, Georgia, Texas, Clemson, Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Auburn, Florida State, etc?  

Yes I do. I’m not saying it’s the only reason and I agree that there are issues elsewhere.  Local Bay Area fans just don’t really care about CFB. See Cal and Stanford’s attendance. 

But your broad brush strokes aren’t the answer either.