Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNM/NMSU game thread

1 minute ago, Packman04 said:

Do you think he is dug in on this philosophy?  Not saying it would have matter tonight, but once again it was a new starting five and once again the Lobos stumbled out of the gate. 

Yes he has and has admitted so, he is not changing it. 

1 hour ago, Chile_Ute said:

Lobos better be cheering the Aggie’s on the rest of the way....

ABSOLUTELY NOT! A true Lobo fan NEVER cheers for their success... EVER! 

Why would you want that... so we can say  they’re bringing up our rpi? How about we hope that Weir will figure out a starting 5, and stick with it for a change!?

If he keeps this up, he’s gonna end up like coach Davie... having kids transferring out! 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, Packman04 said:

Do you think he is dug in on this philosophy?  Not saying it would have matter tonight, but once again it was a new starting five and once again the Lobos stumbled out of the gate. 

Yes, he is dug in on this... he keeps talking about his kids needing to “buy in” to his system. But I think the kids are like... I’m busting my ass, and running til I puke for you, so you can sit me on the bench because I didn’t dive for a loose ball, or deflect a pass, or caused a turnover...

He’s got talent on this team, but imo, the kids don’t feel that that’s what matters, or is appreciated in his system. IMO, they’re thinking that no matter how good they play, they ain’t be starting anyway... 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

4 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

This is nmsu’s Super Bowl. They live to beat the lobos at anything... apparently the lobos don’t feel the same way? 

Their Super Bowl?   You make it sound as if UNM is special.  In reality you've never won more than 1 game in any NCAA tournament in spite of getting great seeds.  NMSU on the other hand has gone to the final four. The only reason they dont have a NCAA championship they had the misfortune of running up against Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) a couple of times in the tournament.  In fact your other rival UTEP has a championship and a sweet 16.  If you had said our team has the best fan support of any other team, then I would have believed you.

After how badly we played against UTEP and UNM at their place, many fans were nervous. This game was a big relief because someone new on the team is having an explosive game every night. As far as I'm concerned, this is payback for all the years we lost in the Pit to Alford.

That being said, this isn't our Super Bowl. We expect to be competitive in most games and Menzies killed fan interest by almost always losing to P5 programs and UNM because he didn't care for anything other than 3 games in March. That attitude got us swept every year in the NCAA tournament. We came close only twice, once against SDSU and once against Michigan State (but we had a 7'5 Sim Bhullar against SDSU and the Michigan State game was with Theus' recruits). As far as we're concerned, losing Menzies and Weir is addition by subtraction. We finally have a team that is deep, plays smart basketball, doesn't have any known academic or character issues, and is mostly healthy. I honestly think this year's NMSU would be third behind USU and Nevada if we were in the MWC. (Just like the WAC 10 years ago :D)

4 hours ago, VegasPlayer said:

Their Super Bowl?   You make it sound as if UNM is special.  In reality you've never won more than 1 game in any NCAA tournament in spite of getting great seeds.  NMSU on the other hand has gone to the final four. The only reason they dont have a NCAA championship they had the misfortune of running up against Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) a couple of times in the tournament.  In fact your other rival UTEP has a championship and a sweet 16.  If you had said our team has the best fan support of any other team, then I would have believed you.

Yes Super Bowl, you have to understand this rivalry, Lobos are the big brother that wins most of everything so when little brother aggie wins it's a big deal but there is no love lost if it can be poured on it is going to be poured on. 

7 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Yes, he is dug in on this... he keeps talking about his kids needing to “buy in” to his system. But I think the kids are like... I’m busting my ass, and running til I puke for you, so you can sit me on the bench because I didn’t dive for a loose ball, or deflect a pass, or caused a turnover...

He’s got talent on this team, but imo, the kids don’t feel that that’s what matters, or is appreciated in his system. IMO, they’re thinking that no matter how good they play, they ain’t be starting anyway... 

I didn't know that was his 'system', that sounds ridiculous. there is no way they can develop any continuity, or rhythm, and talk about lack of confidence..Last year I was thinking I was jealous that you had Weir, and I guess I can see what he's thinking, it's just never going to work, especially with 18-19 year olds.

5 hours ago, bigd said:

Tough loss, its amazing how NMSU is always able to reload with a new coach.

Maybe someday they'll actually win a game in the tournament.

From what I saw last night, they might actually do it this year.

8 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT! A true Lobo fan NEVER cheers for their success... EVER! 

Why would you want that... so we can say  they’re bringing up our rpi? How about we hope that Weir will figure out a starting 5, and stick with it for a change!?

If he keeps this up, he’s gonna end up like coach Davie... having kids transferring out! 

I would hope for th first two paragraphs and pray the last one doesn’t happen.

I don’t expect anyone cheer for their rival, it was mostly TIC.  Sorry you had to experience that beatdown as a fan....been there, it sucks.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

Yes Super Bowl, you have to understand this rivalry, Lobos are the big brother that wins most of everything so when little brother aggie wins it's a big deal but there is no love lost if it can be poured on it is going to be poured on. 

5... in... a... ROW...  Back to back sweeps in basketball.

So here is a quick rundown for those that just glanced at the final score.  This game was a total beat down from start to finish.  There was no run where it went from competitive to slipping away.  It started with a double digit lead in the first few minutes, something like 11-0, steadily built in the first half to a 48-12 lead, yes that number is correct, and then got up over 40 points.  i think the biggest lead was 41 in the second half before Jans totally emptied the bench.  The final differential of 35 is actually misleading.  NMSU could have beat UNM by 50 last night if they chose to.  Thoughts on the play itself.

-NMSU looked great.  They dominated in every way possible.  They were quicker, faster, stronger, better shooters, better defenders, better coached, and more intense.  UNM players were taller, that's about it.  The lobos looked shell shocked after 5 minutes and didn't put up a fight.  Once the lead ballooned to 20, then, 30,  with a half still left to play the players just went through the motions.  I have been going to Aggie games for 30 years and i have never seen such a poor performance from a lobo team.  Ever.  

-UNM will be a top 3-5 team in this league this year and yet they just aren't a great team.  Perhaps Weir gets them another late run, but this much is crystal clear.  Jans is the better coach and it isn't close.  X's and O's he runs circles around Weir.  Spacing is better,  Players are more focused.  Intensity of how we play, which is a reflection of the coach, is completely different.  

-This was NMSU's 5th win in a row over UNM in basketball.  As far as Super Bowl, call it NCAA championship, World Series, NBA final, it's all irrelevant.  Same for little brother.  Their fans are embarrassed and venting.  We only have 1 player from the state of NM. Everyone else comes from places like Texas, Ohio, Florida.  Going back to last year, we have played the likes of Miami, USC, Illinois, St. Mary's,  Clemson, WSU.  This Saturday we have #2 Kansas.  While this game brings out the passion in fans, i doubt it even makes the top 10 for players from other parts of the country.  Heck, GCU brings double or triple the fans down that UNM does now.  That crowd will have have 2-3k more fans than the UNM game.  Saying UNM lost because NMSU wanted it more is a bigger insult to your own coach and players than it is to NMSU as it says they were emotionally unprepared for a rivalry game.  Frankly, they just looked completely overmatched, both playes and coaches.

Onward and upward.  This was a once in a generation beat down.  It's not indicative in any way of how these games normally go.  These games are normally physical battles that go down to last few minutes, like the Albq game.  It's a total outlier in terms of point differential, even if it was the 5th win in a row for NMSU in the rivalry, and i absolutely loved every minute of it.  Cheers!

5 hours ago, VegasPlayer said:

I agree with what Lobo Amor said on his reply to your shot at me... but I’ll add that it has nothing to do with past seasons accomplishments, tournament records or appearances... zero.

Both programs have had their ups and downs, but when it came to head to head matchups, UNM most always won. So anytime they came beat us, and especially for several games in a row, it’s a big deal for them! When the “Rio Grande Rivelry” was created to give a trophy to which ever school won that years over all head to head matchups, UNM won them all, and it wasn’t even close. I think last year was the first year they won it, and their fans flaunted it like they’ll flaunt this year’s sweep.

ive already read statements by some of their fans, saying they should be in the MWC instead of us... that’s the rub, they want what we have. Heck there are MWC fans that feel the same way, LOL!

Here is the Albuquerque Journal basically reiterating what i posted.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1253771/follow-live-lobos-at-aggies-mens-basketball.html

And another summary.  I forgot it was McKay on the receiving end when Theus was here.

https://nmsuroundup.com/11787/sports/new-mexico-state-humiliates-new-mexico-in-mesilla-valley-massacre-part-ii/

10 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I didn't know that was his 'system', that sounds ridiculous. there is no way they can develop any continuity, or rhythm, and talk about lack of confidence..Last year I was thinking I was jealous that you had Weir, and I guess I can see what he's thinking, it's just never going to work, especially with 18-19 year olds.

Young, inexperienced coach's with bright futures! Sounds great to fans until the realization hits that the road to that future is a introspective, humbling and bumpy one and usually the initial programs are not the ones to benefit at the end.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

5... in... a... ROW...  Back to back sweeps in basketball.

Yup you guys whipped us bad. That was the definition of a beat down. You guys are going to be really good, I hope playing in the weak wac doesn't soften you guys for the tourney.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

So here is a quick rundown for those that just glanced at the final score.  This game was a total beat down from start to finish.  There was no run where it went from competitive to slipping away.  It started with a double digit lead in the first few minutes, something like 11-0, steadily built in the first half to a 48-12 lead, yes that number is correct, and then got up over 40 points.  i think the biggest lead was 41 in the second half before Jans totally emptied the bench.  The final differential of 35 is actually misleading.  NMSU could have beat UNM by 50 last night if they chose to.  Thoughts on the play itself.

-NMSU looked great.  They dominated in every way possible.  They were quicker, faster, stronger, better shooters, better defenders, better coached, and more intense.  UNM players were taller, that's about it.  The lobos looked shell shocked after 5 minutes and didn't put up a fight.  Once the lead ballooned to 20, then, 30,  with a half still left to play the players just went through the motions.  I have been going to Aggie games for 30 years and i have never seen such a poor performance from a lobo team.  Ever.  

-UNM will be a top 3-5 team in this league this year and yet they just aren't a great team.  Perhaps Weir gets them another late run, but this much is crystal clear.  Jans is the better coach and it isn't close.  X's and O's he runs circles around Weir.  Spacing is better,  Players are more focused.  Intensity of how we play, which is a reflection of the coach, is completely different.  

-This was NMSU's 5th win in a row over UNM in basketball.  As far as Super Bowl, call it NCAA championship, World Series, NBA final, it's all irrelevant.  Same for little brother.  Their fans are embarrassed and venting.  We only have 1 player from the state of NM. Everyone else comes from places like Texas, Ohio, Florida.  Going back to last year, we have played the likes of Miami, USC, Illinois, St. Mary's,  Clemson, WSU.  This Saturday we have #2 Kansas.  While this game brings out the passion in fans, i doubt it even makes the top 10 for players from other parts of the country.  Heck, GCU brings double or triple the fans down that UNM does now.  That crowd will have have 2-3k more fans than the UNM game.  Saying UNM lost because NMSU wanted it more is a bigger insult to your own coach and players than it is to NMSU as it says they were emotionally unprepared for a rivalry game.  Frankly, they just looked completely overmatched, both playes and coaches.

Onward and upward.  This was a once in a generation beat down.  It's not indicative in any way of how these games normally go.  These games are normally physical battles that go down to last few minutes, like the Albq game.  It's a total outlier in terms of point differential, even if it was the 5th win in a row for NMSU in the rivalry, and i absolutely loved every minute of it.  Cheers!

It WAS a total beatdown, good luck against Kansas this weekend, I'll be cheering for you. :cheer:

19 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Yup you guys whipped us bad. That was the definition of a beat down. You guys are going to be really good, I hope playing in the weak wac doesn't soften you guys for the tourney.

it's not too much different than the MWC.  Nevada is awesome right now and then there is a gigantic drop off, hence a 1 bid conference - 2 if there is an upset in the MWC tourney.  Nevada is going to mow through this conference with ease, and that won't prepare them anymore for the NCAA than the WAC will for NMSU.  Also, winning the WAC is no gimme.  GCU and UVU have matched up with us very well for 2 years running.  We just have been the better team in Vegas.  The deck will always be stacked against us in the NCAA as we face a top10 or top 20 team off the bat.  Last second losses to SDSU and MSU show that we have put the talent to win, but the ball hasn't dropped on the last shot or two in a couple close games.  Even last year's tourney loss was a 4-6 point game with 4 minutes, and we knocked off Miami and Illinois.  Tough to blame the WAC when you are getting that close every once in awhile.  MWC is 1 bid, CUSA, WAC, MAC, Sun Belt, Big West.  WCC might get 2 max, and St. Mary's needs to go a serious run or win the tourney for that to happen.  Let's face it, the odds are tough for mid majors.  This isn't new news.  That's why i was cheering for Nevada last year.  Any mid major, especially out west, is a win for everyone in the tourney.  I doubt anyone back east knows that a Nevada or UNM or NMSU or GCU even play in different conferences, nor do they care.  

I also know UNM is a much better team than what they showed last night.  Bradley is no slouch.  But the effort they put out,  no bueno.  That would be my biggest concern as a fan, not shooting percentage or starting lineups, just sheer effort.  I didn't see it.

27 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

It WAS a total beatdown, good luck against Kansas this weekend, I'll be cheering for you. :cheer:

Kansas lost their center.  I want to see us keep it under 20 most of the game.  A top 5 team with the name Kansas on the jersey, on the road, yeah.  I'll be watching, but this year's team doesn't have the one on one player of a Lofton like we did last year.  Jans will have the team ready as always, but Kansas is Kansas.  We beat Miami last year when they were top 10, but then they dropped out of rankings later in year.  I don't see Kansas dropping out of top 10 this season.  I think there's a good chance we are playing what will end up being a #1 seed in the tourney.  

16 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Lobos getting smoked like a two dollar cigar.

You don't really smoke a $2 cigar because it tastes like shit, so you light it up, throw it down to the ground, and grind it down under your foot... hmmmm... just like NMSU did to the Loobs last night... :hmmm: 

Well played, 2k3.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg