Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist formerly known as Hal

If you were Mtn West Commissioner

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well it’s worth a debate but I would argue the MWC had its best years when it had a presence in Texas.   

No, the debate is absolutely worthless....expect for mugtang .

There's no good reason to add anyone 

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

No, the debate is absolutely worthless....expect for mugtang .

There's no good reason to add anyone 

No what’s worthless is a person who refuses to listen to others opinion and approaches discussions with their mind made up. 

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Well it’s worth a debate but I would argue the MWC had its best years when it had a presence in Texas.   

The conerences best years had nothing to do with Texas. They were the best years because Utah, BYU, and TCU were members. If there was a Texas member available at that level it would be a no-brainer. But adding some shitty commuter school that no one in Texas cares about will do nothing for the conference except downgrade its image.

3 hours ago, bigd said:

The conerences best years had nothing to do with Texas. They were the best years because Utah, BYU, and TCU were members. If there was a Texas member available at that level it would be a no-brainer. But adding some shitty commuter school that no one in Texas cares about will do nothing for the conference except downgrade its image.

TCU wasn’t at the level they became when they joined.  Everyone wants a sure thing and strangely enough a sure thing never exists.   If you wait to that point you fail strategically every time.   That issue has often been the downfall of this conference.   

Dallas and San Antonio are big markets and the MWC lacks those.   We currently have San Diego and Denver.   Texas is a huge state for recruiting and we lack a base their.    UCF is considered a commuter school.  Big schools in big football playing states is rarely bad.   

Given the fact Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming and New Mexico are all above 90 in the Massey Composite we hardly have room to look down on anyone.  

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I won't disagree. In the final analysis, it's all about football and no state has as much HS football recruiting potential for the conference than Texas. However, UNT, UTEP and Rice are all canine manure. As such the only available schools worth debating are UTSA and Texas State and my opinion has consistently been that because of its superior football stadium and basketball arena, the advantage goes to Texas State.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I won't disagree. In the final analysis, it's all about football and no state has as much HS football recruiting potential for the conference than Texas. However, UNT, UTEP and Rice are all canine manure. As such the only available schools worth debating are UTSA and Texas State and my opinion has consistently been that because of its superior football stadium and basketball arena, the advantage goes to Texas State.

Yeah although I think your data may be outdated on UNT.   I think they are adding a lot of infrastructure upgrades. 

https://www.dentonrc.com/news/unt-to-unveil-facility-master-plan-for-athletics-this-morning/article_27318cfb-730c-5706-a9d9-3c7437bc246c.html

In terms of Massey:

North Texas is 66

Texas State is 124

UTSA is 123

UNT only sold 90% of the tickets for the opening game of their new 30K seat stadium even though they hosted Houston rather than some other CUSA schlub and they still haven't gotten even a single sellout. That should tell anybody considering that school all they need to know about it as a potential MWC addition.

Boom goes the dynamite.

20 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

UNT only sold 90% of the tickets for the opening game of their new 30K seat stadium even though they hosted Houston rather than some other CUSA schlub and they still haven't gotten even a single sellout. That should tell anybody considering that school all they need to know about it as a potential MWC addition.

Kind of similar to CSU.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

BTW, the UNT coach has chosen to stay at UNT.    If he would sign an agreement with a huge buy-out to stay for at least 5 more years I would invite UNT in a heartbeat to the conference with BYU ( if they are tired of the disaster that is independence) or if not with UTSA and add Boise to the west where they belong.  

With the right coach that can turn around quickly.   You just need an agreement Littrell stays for at least 5 years and watch out.   Same thing with TCU and Patterson.    

Btw.  How many MWC teams sell out?   Not sure Fresno or SDSU had a sell out this year.   My problem with the old guard fans is they are like piss poor royalty looking down their noses at others when hard to claim our schools are much better. 

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Btw.  How many MWC teams sell out?   Not sure Fresno or SDSU had a sell out this year.   My problem with the old guard fans is they are like piss poor royalty looking down their noses at others when hard to claim our schools are much better. 

Even with the tarped over seats the SDSU stadium holds more than 57K. No MWC school except BYU has ever had such attendance and IIRC, SDSU's biggest gate was 52K and change.

Boom goes the dynamite.

22 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

we briefly shared a conference with UNT.  I cannot recall one positive thing they did.  Don't add them.  

Edit: at least Idaho won the BW and the Humanitarian Bowl once.  And also earned an at-large bid or two in volleyball.  North Texas would be a headscratcher addition at best.

20 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Texas might be a big deal when it comes to recruits, but it is so incredibly overrecruited that schools like UTEP, Texas State and UTSA can't even get a sniff of the good players.  Rice treats football as an afterthought.  The only reason UNT doesn't suck is they won the lottery with their Oklahoma QB who had no other offers.  Virtually every team in the country recruits Texas and there is not an infinite number of CFB caliber players. Adding crappy teams to get a recruiting pipeline to the most recruited state is an illusory endeavor.  For example, and no disrespect to SJSU, but they're not exactly delivering the bay area recruiting market.