Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

When is the MWC going to have its CCG on a major network?

The MWCCG has been on espn2 and espn the last two years while the aac has seen its CCGs on ABC. Apart from ucf the aac is overrated. The top teams rode a weak ooc schedule and weak conference to winning records.

The aac is the worst I have seen a conference overall place defense possibly ever. Granted Houston was a well rounded team two years ago but since then aac trending downward (apart from ucf).

The MWC has the opportunity to finish with 3 ranked teams while tha aac will have only one. With improvements happening league wide (infrustructure) the MWC is poised for continued ascension.

It is high time that the MWC be rewarded for its play and commitment to football. The MWCCG needs to be on major network going forward. Since ND is indy NBC would be perfect. 

31 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Weren't we on CBS OTA for a bit?  Maybe I misremember.

6 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Yeah it’s been on CBS before.

For basketball yes don't remember football being in it. The USU -FSU game may have been on it.

1 minute ago, Lobo Amor said:

For basketball yes don't remember football being in it. The USU -FSU game may have been on it.

2013 CBS I believe after SEC champ game

2014 CBS again I believe it was right after SEC champ game

2015 ESPN2 (guessing they did not love matchup)

16/17/18 ESPN

8 minutes ago, Cutlass said:

Basketball has been on CBS the past two seasons (at least), and personally, I have no issue with ESPN primetime championship Saturday.  (ESPN2 would be an issue)

I don't get this. ESPN or ESPN2, what's the difference?

Is there any system out there where folks get ESPN but don't get ESPN2?

Either way we need to be back on a major network and not just our championship game but also some conference games of the week.

Is ESPN considered a "major" network?

If not, how or why are ABC, CBC, or NBC better? 

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Is ESPN considered a "major" network?

If not, how or why are ABC, CBC, or NBC better? 

You get cable/satellite/streaming audience plus the small percentage of 70 year old backgammon players that only watch digital local TV.  And the alphabet networks still bring in a small percentage of non traditional sports viewers who may not normally go to espn or cbs sports network. It's a small difference, but it's there.

Eye balls, look at the difference between number of viewers. Plus more payout $$$.

:shrug: Is that because of the network or because of the game being shown.

I guarantee, Ohio State v Michigan on ESPN2 will outdraw a Boise State v Fresno State championship game on NBC/CBS/ABC by an order of magnitude. 

Looking at this, you guys are right. The letter networks generally outperform ESPN or Fox. However, by taking a closer look at the week to week, I'm not sure you can really attribute the difference to networks or is it more predicted by the match-ups and game times. The networks obviously pay more for the games they know will bring higher ratings.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/#2018wk0

13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

:shrug: Is that because of the network or because of the game being shown.

I guarantee, Ohio State v Michigan on ESPN2 will outdraw a Boise State v Fresno State championship game on NBC/CBS/ABC by an order of magnitude. 

That's not my point, my point is we would have more viewers than we are currently and a better payout. Right now a lesser conference the aac is reaping that (or are they really a p6?) while us little G5s have to play on espn. If espn was so great then the p5s would have their CCGs on there mot the major networks.

It's a mix of both. Yes a traditional power game will out draw a MWC game no matter the network. That's just reality. But an Alphabet network MWC game will out draw an ESPN MWC game that's all. It's all about timing. If the MWC can get a dinner time EST kickoff, and precede a P5 primetime game it will draw those that are waiting for the big one to start. 

12 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

That's not my point, my point is we would have more viewers than we are currently and a better payout. Right now a lesser conference the aac is reaping that (or are they really a p6?) while us little G5s have to play on espn. If espn was so great then the p5s would have their CCGs on there mot the major networks.

Don't the P5's have their games with whoever is going to pay the most? I think you guys have the correlation going the wrong way.

Isn't it all economics? The networks are outbidding ESPN because they know the value of the games they're competing for.

I contend, the difference the the MWC in both eyeballs and dollars, between ESPN and the letter networks would be insignificant.

If the AAC is making more $$$ than the MWC, and I know they are, it isn't because they are "better", it's just a matter of population demographics and time zones.

1 minute ago, NVBlueNeck said:

It's a mix of both. Yes a traditional power game will out draw a MWC game no matter the network. That's just reality. But an Alphabet network MWC game will out draw an ESPN MWC game that's all. It's all about timing. If the MWC can get a dinner time EST kickoff, and precede a P5 primetime game it will draw those that are waiting for the big one to start. 

Yes, by taking a closer look at the link I posted, it's obvious that one of the most important factors, regardless of network, is what time is the game shown.

And obviously, being in the Mountain and Pacific time zones is going to always have a negative impact on our numbers.

I doubt there's anyway to overcome this?

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Don't the P5's have their games with whoever is going to pay the most? I think you guys have the correlation going the wrong way.

Isn't it all economics? The networks are outbidding ESPN because they know the value of the games they're competing for.

I contend, the difference the the MWC in both eyeballs and dollars, between ESPN and the letter networks would be insignificant.

If the AAC is making more $$$ than the MWC, and I know they are, it isn't because they are "better", it's just a matter of population demographics.

So you're saying it's east coast bias?