Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Football Transfers

5 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

:blink:

You're helping the perception that G5 is a farm system with statements like that. 

Plus it goes right to the crap shoot that is recruiting and ratings - Look at  Brandon Clark in basketball, he signed with SJSU out of high school, turned out to be much better than advertised or rated and opted to jump to Gonzaga where he's doing great.

Also, grades coming out of HS might force some recruits to go G5 and when / if they clean up their academics they make the jump to P5 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

It's the reality of the situation - Some guys signed with a MWC program, thinks he's better than he is and transfers up to a P5 program...............same thing on the way down, a player finds out he's going to ride the bench for 4 years and he might opt to leave his P5 program and go to a MWC program and maybe compete for playing time right away.

Will depend on the individual players.............some might be fine with riding it out as a special teamer / 4th string at Oregon or he might transfer out to a MWC program and be two-deep and actually play 

NFL draws from all of division 1, not just P5.  Recruits either know this or need to know it.  Getting quality playing time and shining when you have it are what matters. College football championships are niceties for athletes with aspirations to play at the next level.

And the G5 has programs that are just as good as the P5.  They just don't receive as much revenue.  Playing into the BS by suggesting P5 is a step up is only because they distorted the system to appear that way.  The perception is wrong.  So is the system and it needs to be torn down, imo.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Just now, Boise fan said:

NFL draws from all of division 1, not just P5.  Recruits either know this or need to know it.  Getting quality playing time and shining when you have it are what matters. College football championships are niceties for athletes with aspirations to play at the next level.

And the G5 has programs that are just as good as the P5.  They just don't receive as much revenue.  Playing into the BS by suggesting P5 is a step up is only because they distorted the system to appear that way.  The perception is wrong.  So is the system and it needs to be torn down, imo.

Getting some eye time is exactly why players should consider dropping from a P5 to a G5.........why be one of the many at Oregon when you might be THE GUY at CSU - I've always wondered why a recruit would sign with a power program knowing he's going to be behind other 5* recruits and also knowing more 5* recruits are coming behind him.

If your a solid 3* go to a G5 and try to be a star player. 

As to the NFL........they all have PRO DAYS and the NFL probably has a dossier on most college players or even get tips from college coaches on who might be a sleeper 

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Getting some eye time is exactly why players should consider dropping from a P5 to a G5.........why be one of the many at Oregon when you might be THE GUY at CSU - I've always wondered why a recruit would sign with a power program knowing he's going to be behind other 5* recruits and also knowing more 5* recruits are coming behind him.

If your a solid 3* go to a G5 and try to be a star player. 

As to the NFL........they all have PRO DAYS and the NFL probably has a dossier on most college players or even get tips from college coaches on who might be a sleeper 

Agree completely.  Which is why the perception that G5 is a step down needs to be changed.  It's not a step down.  Many recruits to BSU know that.  It can help them get into the NFL if that's their goal.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

6 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Agree completely.  Which is why the perception that G5 is a step down needs to be changed.  It's not a step down.  Many recruits to BSU know that.  It can help them get into the NFL if that's their goal.

Only a step down for 5* recruits maybe........if they end up being high 5* recruits, but for the 4* and under rated recruits then the G5 might be they way to get on the field 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Plus it goes right to the crap shoot that is recruiting and ratings - Look at  Brandon Clark in basketball, he signed with SJSU out of high school, turned out to be much better than advertised or rated and opted to jump to Gonzaga where he's doing great.

Also, grades coming out of HS might force some recruits to go G5 and when / if they clean up their academics they make the jump to P5 

Academic requirements are pretty much the same in either division, with some exceptions.

Sounds like this kid dreamed of playing at a big program from the little I’ve read about him. And let’s face it, Nevada’s atmosphere has not been very good for years. I personally think the night games are killing our conference especially for the mediocre cold weather programs like Nevada.

And this isn’t new. Nevada lost James? Butler to Iowa before last year and he didn’t do much because of injuries. Mannix will be a very good slot guy for wherever he lands but we flipped him from Vandy at the 11th hour so turnabout is fair play. I’m not as sold on Sewell v2 but he played a lot of snaps for Nevada  

I think the entire “travel ball” mentality is to blame for some of this. I know a family who moved from Reno to Sacramento so their kid could play baseball — and the kid doesn’t have a chance in hell of playing varsity baseball at that level. He barely had a chance in Reno. I just don’t get the mentality.

At the end of the day, that’s how it works. I’m sure Nevada will get a transfer or two this offseason as well. 

Well a lot of 3* and even 4* recruits are goung FCS where they can shine because the NFL is looking there more and more now. Don't believe me? Harvard has more current players in the NFL than most MWC teams.

When interviewed about playing for JMU their two star players who were high 3* & 4* recruits respectively, said that they wanted a chance to play for a championship (both players transferred from p5 schools) not sit and watch from the bench.

20 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Academic requirements are pretty much the same in either division, with some exceptions.

I’d bet the small programs take many, MANY more chances than the larger ones because it’s easier to recruit to a P5 program. That’s just a guess though. 

1 minute ago, Lobo Amor said:

Well a lot of 3* and even 4* recruits are goung FCS where they can shine because the NFL is looking there more and more now. Don't believe me? Harvard has more current players in the NFL than most MWC teams.

When interviewed about playing for JMU their two star players who were high 3* & 4* recruits respectively, said that they wanted a chance to play for a championship (both players transferred from p5 schools) not sit and watch from the bench.

If I had a kid capable of playing at that level that would be where I’d guide him. 

9 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I’d bet the small programs take many, MANY more chances than the larger ones because it’s easier to recruit to a P5 program. That’s just a guess though. 

May be right, but the NCAA minimum is usually where everybody from Boise to Notre Dame set their standards for recruitable athletes.

Desmond Williams from Boise St transferring.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:18 AM, Lobo Amor said:

Yeah, honestly the difference between FCS and FBS is really shrinking. Just look at Idaho this year, and how many of the teams who moved up to the Sun Belt have become consistent bowl teams at the top of their conference. 

14 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise State just lost Nickel/SLB Desmond Williams. Started a few games but more of a backup to Kaniho.

That’s what happens when someone starts that you know you’re better than.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

13 minutes ago, Warbow said:

That’s what happens when someone starts that you know you’re better than.

They split time. Both are very good. That's too bad. He's a good player. He has to go FCS, or else he'll lose a year (unless he's a graduate transfer in three years). Obviously, Boise already has a starter there, but it was good having both. He'll tear it up at the FCS. 

With this rule in place G5s need to use it to their advantage and go after players burried on p5 depth charts. I have read stories how Saban has promised to 3/4* walkons that they will receive a schollie if they stick it out only to see higher recruited players brought in year after year and it never happens.

This would also help put an end to p5 schools stashing players just to keep them away from other schools.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:42 PM, rudolro said:

Ironic that a Nevada coach bitching about kids transferring. Hell the damn BB program is one big transfer.

What does football have to do with basketball? The dynamics of recruiting 85 versus 13 scholarships are entirely dissimilar. Weak argument imo

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman