Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Football Transfers

Has any team been hit by the new transfer rule. I know Nevada has or will be hit hard. Mannix, Sewell etc, anyone else?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I also read where New Mexico is losing a hand full of starters to transfer. Not sure of their names.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I don't think the new rule affects these guys.  Sewell was a 2 year starter at safety for Nevada and still has his redshirt (which he'd use while sitting out at BYU or Utah (I'm assuming that's where he'll go)).

McLane Mannix also played as a true freshman.  So both of these guys won't be allowed to play if they transfer to another FBS school next season. But they will each have 2 seasons of eligibility in 2020 and 2021.

New Mexico lost Rhashaun Epting, a R-So starting edge player/linebacker. They also lost safety Marcus Hayes, a R-Fr who led the MW in punt return average.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I don't think the new rule affects these guys.  Sewell was a 2 year starter at safety for Nevada and still has his redshirt (which he'd use while sitting out at BYU or Utah (I'm assuming that's where he'll go)).

McLane Mannix also played as a true freshman.  So both of these guys won't be allowed to play if they transfer to another FBS school next season. But they will each have 2 seasons of eligibility in 2020 and 2021.

New Mexico lost Rhashaun Epting, a R-So starting edge player/linebacker. They also lost safety Marcus Hayes, a R-Fr who led the MW in punt return average.

I'm guessing that Sewell is going to Oregon to join his brother.

Wyoming had a starting receiver (Avante Cox) leave before the start of the 4th game so that he could transfer and not lose a year of eligibility at an FCS school.  He then transferred to a school closer to home Southern Illinois.  Good luck to him but I personally prefer the competition in the MWC at the FBS level.

2 hours ago, Warbow said:

Has any team been hit by the new transfer rule. I know Nevada has or will be hit hard. Mannix, Sewell etc, anyone else?

You have to keep in mind that when a non-graduate is transferring to another FBS, a player must still 'sit out' for a year.  Basically it is a wash when transferring to an FBS as a non-graduate (you either lose the year where you played less than 4 games or lose the year where you sit-out).  Thus, I don't think the transfer rule for non-graduating players will be that big of an impact.

Nothing Norvell said here is false. 

The skipping the Bowl Game situation is actually practical, rational, and logical. However, playing as a member of a team, is rarely any of those things. I just cannot imagine quitting the team before the season is over. 

Could see this going both ways..........guys at G5 programs blow up and think they are P5 worthy and transfer up.............and Guys from P5 programs realizing they aren't going to get much playing time will drop down to G5's and get on the field - Basically this rule could end up being Recruiting 2.0 where initial recruiting mistakes are adjusted after the reality sets in.

Have to admit that the transfers UNLV landed from P5 programs have been hit and miss over the last 18 years. John Robinson got some P5 guys to transfer in and some were good additions while others were hardly noticed on the playing field.

I have no problem with it. If Norvell was approached for a P5 job tomorrow he would take it. The only problem I have is kids blowing smoke. “I have family issues.” No you don’t. You want to play football at a better program. Ok. Then say that. 

29 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Could see this going both ways..........guys at G5 programs blow up and think they are P5 worthy and transfer up.............and Guys from P5 programs realizing they aren't going to get much playing time will drop down to G5's and get on the field - Basically this rule could end up being Recruiting 2.0 where initial recruiting mistakes are adjusted after the reality sets in.

Have to admit that the transfers UNLV landed from P5 programs have been hit and miss over the last 18 years. John Robinson got some P5 guys to transfer in and some were good additions while others were hardly noticed on the playing field.

+1. I don’t think you’ll see much more movement. 

43 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Wyoming had a starting receiver (Avante Cox) leave before the start of the 4th game so that he could transfer and not lose a year of eligibility at an FCS school.  He then transferred to a school closer to home Southern Illinois.  Good luck to him but I personally prefer the competition in the MWC at the FBS level.

I saw they lost another WR, Camron Donatlan to transfer as well, but looks like he didn't play as a true freshman, so couldv'e been just not good enough.  And doesn't sound like he like the college football routine. Sounds like he may have the ability to compete in track at a high level (Big 10) too.

“I thought there were going to be more things to do here,” Donatlan said. “I guess I’m just a city kid.I didn’t play this year, but it was more the other things.

“I’ve been home once since June, so that’s been a little tough. But it’s just the town itself. I get a lot of football, football, football the whole day, and then you’ve got to go to the dorm and do your homework.”

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I saw they lost another WR, Camron Donatlan to transfer as well, but looks like he didn't play as a true freshman, so couldv'e been just not good enough.  And doesn't sound like he like the college football routine.

“I thought there were going to be more things to do here,” Donatlan said. “I guess I’m just a city kid.I didn’t play this year, but it was more the other things.

“I’ve been home once since June, so that’s been a little tough. But it’s just the town itself. I get a lot of football, football, football the whole day, and then you’ve got to go to the dorm and do your homework.”

He may have the most potential on the whole team but right now he's the bottom of the roster.  That's what Norvell was saying, you're always going to lose some from the bottom, it used to be pretty rare that you lose them from the top.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

I'm guessing that Sewell is going to Oregon to join his brother.

I guarantee he will be there.  And the youngest brother will commit there as well.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

45 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

:blink:

You're helping the perception that G5 is a farm system with statements like that. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

18 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I saw they lost another WR, Camron Donatlan to transfer as well, but looks like he didn't play as a true freshman, so couldv'e been just not good enough.  And doesn't sound like he like the college football routine. Sounds like he may have the ability to compete in track at a high level (Big 10) too.

Yes, we lost both of our inner city Illinois receivers.  Donatlan's future is in track and he never dressed for a game at Wyoming.  But I think it is rather silly for Wyoming to recruit in Chicagoland because those recruits rarely stick around due to the culture shock of little town Laramie versus Chicago (outside of Brandon Ewing).

2 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

:blink:

You're helping the perception that G5 is a farm system with statements like that. 

It's the reality of the situation - Some guys signed with a MWC program, thinks he's better than he is and transfers up to a P5 program...............same thing on the way down, a player finds out he's going to ride the bench for 4 years and he might opt to leave his P5 program and go to a MWC program and maybe compete for playing time right away.

Will depend on the individual players.............some might be fine with riding it out as a special teamer / 4th string at Oregon or he might transfer out to a MWC program and be two-deep and actually play