Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Is Utah State keeping BYU out of the MWC?

52 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

OK.   Not sure why USU could never compete in the WAC, but has done much better in the MWC.

But even then, I wouldn't say USU has necessarily taken off as a football program, just because of MWC membership.

Their coach was on the verge of getting fired, and turned it around (and into a job with Texas Tech) by playing, and winning, an incredibly weak schedule this past season.  I mean, USU's best wins were against BYU (6-6) and Wyoming (6-6), and I think they've only won 1 P5 game in like 20 years.   They can be glad that they didn't play SDSU or Fresno.

A lot to prove still, if JackMormon's assertion that USU is now an elite power is to be taken seriously.

I hear this argument a lot: “USU was lucky that it didn’t have to play Fresno St. or SDS.”  There is no question that Fresno St. was very good this year.  But I believe the Aggies would have given them a game of it.  But SDS?  What are we to surmise from their home losses to UNLV and Hawaii and a very close shave win at home against SJS?  USU beat all three of those teams by an average score of 59-23 —- and the games were not as close as the scores would indicate what with USU scoring all of 13 points in the 4th quarters of the combined games.

I apparently missed the part where jackmormon says that USU is now an elite power.  I did read where he says that USU’s record against BYU since joining the MWC is respectable now that the 2 for 1s and 3 for 1s in BYU’s favor have been done away with.  And it’s likely to get much worse for the Zoobies going forward.

You should be nice to the Aggies.  BYU is going to need our vote when it applies for MWC admission.

Guest #1Stunner
45 minutes ago, utaggies said:

I hear this argument a lot: “USU was lucky that it didn’t have to play Fresno St. or SDS.”  There is no question that Fresno St. was very good this year.  But I believe the Aggies would have given them a game of it.  But SDS?  What are we to surmise from their home losses to UNLV and Hawaii and a very close shave win at home against SJS?  USU beat all three of those teams by an average score of 59-23 —- and the games were not as close as the scores would indicate what with USU scoring all of 13 points in the 4th quarters of the combined games.

I apparently missed the part where jackmormon says that USU is now an elite power.  I did read where he says that USU’s record against BYU since joining the MWC is respectable now that the 2 for 1s and 3 for 1s in BYU’s favor have been done away with.  And it’s likely to get much worse for the Zoobies going forward.

You should be nice to the Aggies.  BYU is going to need our vote when it applies for MWC admission.

Maybe you don't think SDSU is very good, but I simply disagree.  They can beat anyone this year.

BYU needs USU's vote?  Meh.... not happening.  Besides, everyone already knows that USU always does what BYU tells it to do.

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Maybe you don't think SDSU is very good, but I simply disagree.  They can beat anyone this year.

BYU needs USU's vote?  Meh.... not happening.  Besides, everyone already knows that USU always does what BYU tells it to do.

SDS’ results were pretty pedestrian this year.  The Massey composite has them at #74, which is below the average FBS team.  That does not scream “they can beat anyone” to me.  More like, “they can lose to anyone”, which they proved in a couple of instances.

If BYU portrays a similarly nasty demeanor as you towards USU, the Cougars may bery well fall short of the 75% of the votes necessary for the inclusion of new members to the conference.   You’ve clearly lost Wyoming’s vote already and are working towards losing USU’s.  In spite of you trying to curry favor from BSU, Nevada, SDS and FSU, you cannot afford to lose another vote.  Three MWC schools voting thumbs down to BYU continues you down the long path of independent mediocrity for some time with the likes of peer institutions like Liberty, New Mexico State and UMass.

12 hours ago, utaggies said:

SDS’ results were pretty pedestrian this year.  The Massey composite has them at #74, which is below the average FBS team.  That does not scream “they can beat anyone” to me.  More like, “they can lose to anyone”, which they proved in a couple of instances.

If BYU portrays a similarly nasty demeanor as you towards USU, the Cougars may bery well fall short of the 75% of the votes necessary for the inclusion of new members to the conference.   You’ve clearly lost Wyoming’s vote already and are working towards losing USU’s.  In spite of you trying to curry favor from BSU, Nevada, SDS and FSU, you cannot afford to lose another vote.  Three MWC schools voting thumbs down to BYU continues you down the long path of independent mediocrity for some time with the likes of peer institutions like Liberty, New Mexico State and UMass.

USU needs to shut its insignificant mouth and just <continue to> do what BYU tells them to.  That is the Aggie reality.  All this message board bravado is hilarious.

v0icAvfW.jpg

45 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

USU needs to shut its insignificant mouth and just <continue to> do what BYU tells them to.  That is the Aggie reality.  All this message board bravado is hilarious.

This is one of the more arrogant and superior things I've heard a BYU fan say anywhere. Many USU fans for sure has a little brother complex, but these kinds of things don't help the conversation. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

You are living in an alternative universe, Skippy.  But then BYU IS an alternative universe.  Now run along back to your bubble while the adults here derermine if anyone wants to extend an invitation to BYU to rejoin the MWC.  We’ll whistle for you to come if we need you.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

This is one of the more arrogant and superior things I've heard a BYU fan say anywhere. Many USU fans for sure has a little brother complex, but these kinds of things don't help the conversation. 

I've been around for awhile.. I remember when Utah was considered "Little Brother" to BYU up through the late 80's and early 90's.. Then Coach Mac came around and turned the tide.. The Utah/BYU series has became a complete disaster for BYU.. My oh my how things have changed....  Now, Utah is on a completely different playing field in all areas..  All USU has to do is put together a nice streak and it will be the same outcome.. Keep growing, improve attendance.. If this happens, BYU fans will be forced to try and big dog Weber State and Southern Utah for instate success..

As independence slowly death grips and sucks this program dry, BYU Admin and fans will continue to desperately reach for anything they can hold on too for relevance.. Tough time in Provo these days.. 

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

You pretty much sum up your school, athletes and fans.  Wish I could say you were just one person on a message board.  

4 hours ago, madmartigan said:

You must not know that many BYU fans. Back in the 80's when they actually had some good teams they were completely insufferable. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

5 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

LOL. The bravado in the football field seems to be sufficiently.  Your football program however has become somewhat hilarious. 

7 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Boy you are a feisty one aren't you?

Where was all that cougar fight in the game this year?

And the U game in the second half?

Rawwwwwrrrrrr…. Meow....

40-24

45-20

Evidently BYU likes to take it hard.

Based on your quote above, you have been begging us  to give it to you.

Guest #1Stunner

One thing USU and BYU fans can agree on:  

BYU is not big enough, and ideally, needs to expand enrollment to 60,000 (35,000 is too small).

The slots would fill up in all of 5 minutes . . . . there'd be a huge race for people trying to grab a slot.  

And dreams would come true.   A lot more people would be be a lot happier. There would be less bad feelings about BYU.    A side benefit would be that Logan/USU would be less crowded, too.

Make BYU bigger again.   Open up enrollment.

21 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I wouldn't mind seeing BYU return for FB, if they wanted to.  But they may choose to go with the AAC because they don't have the votes from the MW schools who still hold a grudge.

I'm guessing when BYU's deal with ESPN is close to expiring, they will announce they are joining a conference.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
56 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I wouldn't mind seeing BYU return for FB, if they wanted to.  But they may choose to go with the AAC because they don't have the votes from the MW schools who still hold a grudge.

I'm guessing when BYU's deal with ESPN is close to expiring, they will announce they are joining a conference.  

BYU returning to the MWC gets discussed a lot on here, but I don't think it's likely to happen right now.

The main hold up would be that BYU has scheduled a lot of games, and would have to spend millions buying out games (at least through 2024), if it wanted to rejoin the MWC.  That obviously wouldn't be worth the money, seeing that that MWC TV deal is pretty small.   BYU's game contracts include a provision that its contracts automatically terminate with no money penalty if BYU joins a P5 conference----so that provision won't apply to joining the MWC.

So, that being the case, it probably isn't likely that BYU will rejoin.   Plus, when Gonzaga was flirting with the MWC, BYU showed no interest in joining the MWC, and said it would stay in the WCC, not matter what Gonzaga did (which surprised a few people).

Now.... I think that BYU and the MWC could mutually benefit each other if some of the haters on the MWC ide can get over it.   It's obvious that the MWC and BYU both want more and better bowl ties out west.   Some collaboration could work.